Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 04:49 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Have contagion concerns sidelined anyone's plans? I'm thinking that camping in a self-contained trailer is looking like a great option this year!
Yes; agree totally ... for camping away from concentrations of folks ... but not sure the rally gods will agree with us ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post

...Snip...

All bottled water is gone. Beer was on sale, though. So i'll be drinking that instead.

For whatever it’s worth - here’s one post of yours I just have to smile about and congratulate you for. [emoji3]

I don’t resonate with a single thing you say about hitches or sway - but here’s some common ground we could share even around a campfire.

Cheers!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #123
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
So for all of you armchair physicians out there who are at home pontificating on the hazards of travel, here's a report from the road. We are in AZ and the campgrounds are full. No panic, people are hiking, biking and enjoying life. Until you leave the campground to get supplies. The grocery stores remind me of the times when living in Florida before a hurricane. The stores are packed with people stocking up for some unknown disaster. There is no bottled water or toilet paper. When was there a connection between covid 19 and diarrhea?

There is no one within 100' of our trailer. Everyone is calm, no one is wearing a mask. Yet when we return home to NM, I will not be able to stay in any of the state parks because they are closed to overnight campers. But the parks are open to day users. Come use all of the facilities but do not sleep here.

The media says shelter at home. Then they say support your local restaurants and businesses. It's so easy to drum up fear with the lemmings. The sky is not falling.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
We had four rallies planned during March and April. We decided to bail on two in April for non-Covid reasons. One was cancelled by the site due to Covid concerns. It was an interim for us on the way to another. Since we lost our interim trip, we cancelled the last one.

We are in our 70s and in reasonably good health with none of the aggravating factors being mentioned. Most, if not all, of our camping since we bought our first Airstream 6 years ago have been rally related, with the associated happy hours and pot-luck meals. While the risk of rally attendance is low, it is non-zero, and at this point I have no basis to decide if it is reasonable. Maybe in a few weeks the picture will be clearer.

I wish we lived out west where there are more boondocking opportunities, but we don't so I am going to try to educate myself on alternative opportunities but I am not optimistic I will discover much. We may just be storing the Airstream for a few months.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Tried to go to Costco today but it was jammed. People are freaking out. Scared. Running. Certain celebrities are telling people they're going into solitude for weeks. Maybe we should too, but can you afford to stay indoors for the next 6 or 8 weeks?

Hope to camp in Canada this summer. Hope to be well enough and hope Canada lets us visit. I expect millions of other Americans who cancelled their summer travel plans will also hit the roads. Campgrounds might be jammed.
kscherzi is offline   Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 08:39 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
We had four rallies planned during March and April. We decided to bail on two in April for non-Covid reasons. One was cancelled by the site due to Covid concerns. It was an interim for us on the way to another. Since we lost our interim trip, we cancelled the last one.

We are in our 70s and in reasonably good health with none of the aggravating factors being mentioned. Most, if not all, of our camping since we bought our first Airstream 6 years ago have been rally related, with the associated happy hours and pot-luck meals. While the risk of rally attendance is low, it is non-zero, and at this point I have no basis to decide if it is reasonable. Maybe in a few weeks the picture will be clearer.

I wish we lived out west where there are more boondocking opportunities, but we don't so I am going to try to educate myself on alternative opportunities but I am not optimistic I will discover much. We may just be storing the Airstream for a few months.

Al

Al

We tend to camp without hookups, so the campgrounds we go to are less crowded than other campgrounds that offer hookups. However, I would think that even if you are camping in a campground with hookups that they would also be relatively safe as long as you are washing your hands, wiping down surfaces and minimizing contact with other campers.

I don’t believe there needs to be a major difference between camping (but being very careful) and staying home.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Go North....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Tried to go to Costco today but it was jammed. People are freaking out. Scared. Running. Certain celebrities are telling people they're going into solitude for weeks. Maybe we should too, but can you afford to stay indoors for the next 6 or 8 weeks?

Hope to camp in Canada this summer. Hope to be well enough and hope Canada lets us visit. I expect millions of other Americans who cancelled their summer travel plans will also hit the roads. Campgrounds might be jammed.
...and keep driving... to Alaska! Shameless plug for the fabulous opportunities for in-site and boondock camping that abound. I was bummed when our plan to position the AS and TV outside Alaska as a beachhead for periodic adventures was postponed by (sigh) WORK. But the lemonade is sweet: we are having a ball finally visiting the places all over Alaska we used to simply drive by on our way to visit family somewhere in some corner of the very large state.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Thanks Dan,

I guess I was minimizing the fact of camping without rallies, but I am concerned that there will be park closures. Jacksonville (Duval County) is apparently closing their parks. Our daughter said that a friend or friend's relative was comping at Hanna Park and was told they had to leave, the park was closing.

Florida State Parks has cancelled group activities and elder activities at all parks. If the situation continues to deteriorate, can full closures be far behind? NM and PA have apparently closed parks.

I guess we, along with everyone else, will just have to wait to see what happens. We are lucky in that we have a safer way to travel.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #129
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Cancelled rally

Our WBAC club President just cancelled the rally that was to start next Thursday. My wife and I were co-hosts for the rally and we have been busy committing speakers, music, and meals. The rally was in a super-rural location and we had the entire RV park. I would have been willing to go ahead with it with the caveat of no handshakes or hugs.

I'm consoling myself by reserving a site at a local state park for a couple of nights next week, all by myself. I will not have much human contact there.

There have been 3 confirmed CV cases in Austin, so far. One was from rural northeast Texas who had come to visit a relative. The person had symptoms for some time. That indicates it is spreading widely.

I just now received notice that all volunteer activity at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center has been suspended for the remainder of the month. I have been working two hours, twice a week, showing and telling the visitors about our great horned owl, Athena, that is nesting for the 11th straight year. I came into contact with an awful lot of people doing that and I'm in the high-risk group.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 10:18 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
It all comes down to uncertainty.

We started planning our Spring trip a few weeks ago when all was still calm. I'd have no problems camping out and keeping a bit of distance between us and others, which is much easier to do in a campground. But since some of those are closing or uncertain, we've basically cancelled a Spring trip this year.

A shame.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2020, 12:50 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Don't plan to get your social isolation in New Mexico. The are closing their state parks for overnight camping due to COVID-19.

http://wwwapps.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD.../Closure/Index
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2020, 03:59 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just a reminder from Maggie's excellent Post #138 . . . that campgrounds and fellow campers may be assuming that all new arriving campers may already be actively infected with the virus.

If you see things through their eyes . . . the world may look a little different, once our blinders are adjusted. A new perspective to consider, perhaps, that "they" may not be the problem, but that "we" might be?

Peter

[click on orange arrow in quote to see the post in full]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
. . .
I also believe we need to think not just about whether we might catch this virus, but that we may already being carrying it.
. . .
Maggie
OTRA15 is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2020, 04:17 AM   #133
Rivet Master

Unless you're a full-timer, the question becomes, go or stay?

Very tough decisions will have to be made. I personally have a spot at the Red Coconut (beach-side) for almost a month starting on March 24st. But do you leave your wife/kid in Virginia (where you live in the country, and have all the supplies needed) to travel south 16 hours to be crammed in next to a bunch of campers? But, if you want that same stop next year, you'll pay the camping fee's regardless if you go or not and at $95.00 a night, that's a hard pill to swallow to let a camping spot sit empty for a month. Plus my daughter have been going there on Spring Break for many years.

Interesting times we are living in. Someone knows what's going on, I'm just not at that pay level.

Stay Healthy,
Old 03-14-2020, 04:26 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
. . .
. . . This virus apparently can live on surfaces for a couple of days.
. . .
There have been recent suggestions that the virus might actually survive up to two weeks, on some surfaces, under the right conditions.

Hmmmm . . .

Think about everything you have touched in the last 2 weeks. Think about all the other folks who have touched, say, a gas pump handle, in the last 2 weeks.

Does this open up the possible risk parameters a bit?

[Rrrrrrrrrrrr . . . sound of blinders being adjusted . . . ]

Happy trails,

Peter

PS -- As mentioned earlier, we have been reconsidering our plans to go to a local campground next month, due to this opening up of the risk parameters.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2020, 04:55 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’ll be leaving SC tomorrow, will do laundry and then head directly home where I’m reading this morning that our Governor has closed all schools beginning on Tuesday at least thru March 30.

A rapidly evolving situation across the country, but we will be fully self contained with water, propane and empty tanks, and hopefully make it home without any difficulties.

I’m going to make a stop at a WalMart to pick up a few shelf stable items of whatever variety I can find, and am considering wearing rubber gloves to do my shopping and then throw them away when I leave.

And then, I’m going to wipe down with a bleach solution... 1/3 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water is the recommended solution...the surfaces of anything that I purchase.

Stay safe, folks.

Maggie
Old 03-14-2020, 06:50 AM   #136
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We just got back from four weeks with the AS in Florida. Our last week was near St Petersburg. We went out one night, just a few miles from the CG. The restaurant was packed. We sat for an hour waiting for a table. At 65, we were some of the youngest folks waiting around. We went at 5:30 to avoid the rush.. For the three previous weeks, we hadn’t listened to the radio, watched TV, and had minimal WiFi. I was aware of what the stock market was doing and why. I still don’t understand the toilet paper shortage. It is strange how everyone seems to be adopting different strategies regarding this. I took the AS up to our farm yesterday got it squared away. Church is cancelled, what isn’t cancelled? It’s getting real very quickly. I was in the camp that thought it was much a do about nothing, but these cancellations are costing corporations millions, I can’t imagine they didn’t make the decisions without reason. We are now taking every caution. FYI, we left Ft Desoto a day early. There were people lined up hoping to get a spot..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I had a trip to Italy leaving in a week thats been cancelled, losing some money in the deal. Now schools here are closed and all group events greater than 250 banned.

Just occurred to me the government may close all state and federal parks and campgrounds for the spring and summer. Places like Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon would become Covid-19 stews. It's important to slow the spread of the disease to prevent hospitals from being overloaded but depressing for sure.
kscherzi is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2020, 07:06 AM   #138
Contributing Member

I received an email that Texas is keeping the state parks open. I made a site reservation for two nights next week last night when I learned that our WBAC rally next week was canceled. They did ask that we print our receipt in advance in order to reduce the amount of time we are at the desk.

I think the typical state park is one of the safest places to be. Plenty of space between sites and fairly empty during the week.

I'll use some time at the park to do some more checking into current draw numbers while using my Goal Zero hookup.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I think the typical state park is one of the safest places to be. Plenty of space between sites and fairly empty during the week.....
I agree, with one or two caveats:

State parks are notorious for *filthy* restrooms and shower facilities (not just Texas - it's actually worse elsewhere). They have minimal budget for sanitation - some of them are only serviced by their workamper hosts, who tend to be older retired folks - not a good time for them to be contacting and cleaning high-volume restrooms (are they going to want to do it?). The restroom facilities are also often undersized for the number of people in the park, and thus are crowded, which is bad.

If someone travels to a park, hooks up, and doesn't access the restroom facilities, then yes, I can hardly think of a safer place, assuming your camp site is not overrun with other peoples' children.

But one of the biggest challenges with this thing is millions of children out of school. We have 40,000 of them currently agitated and at loose ends just in our immediate area. What are they going to want to do? Congregate and run loose in the neighborhoods, looking for some fun. They are largely immune to the virus but their wandering and congregating behavior serves as a superb vector for delivering the virus back to adults who are holed up in their homes.

InterBlog is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #140
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I agree, with one or two caveats:

State parks are notorious for *filthy* restrooms and shower facilities (not just Texas - it's actually worse elsewhere).
I never go near those facilities. That's what my tanks are for. The nice thing about the AI is that I can just drop the lines and drive to the dump station if necessary. I have only needed to do that twice in 3 years.
WBCCI #9632
Closed Thread