Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
(Not) Camping during Covid-19 season

Have contagion concerns sidelined anyone's plans? I'm thinking that camping in a self-contained trailer is looking like a great option this year!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
So far no.👍

We have a Mothership run planned for mid April, hoping they don't cancel it...that would seriously implode the Season show schedule,(Dog).

Concerned... by all means, panicked never.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If you're healthy; no heart, kidney, lung, or diabetes issues, this year's flu is 4 times more lethal so no immediate issues other than infecting others. Now if you're not so healthy, this is more than ten times deadlier, you very much need to avoid this virus. The media and some politicians are very much making this out to worse than it is for the general population. Very sad and disgusting some would capitalize on misery.

I Don't see a way to avoid shopping. I suppose you can make a trip to the store at midnight and bring along some hand sanitizer. Other than that squirling away at campsites seems like a decent idea if you need to avoid this thing.

For us, we're thinking there may be some cancellations at popular spots, we will see.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
The wife and I talk about the virus outbreak and the world wide panic. We are glad to have some extra provisions and the Airstream to fall back on. Most of the time we boondock camp anyway so our plans have not changed much.

I can't imagine staying in hotels and eating at restaurants would be on my list of things to do this season. Definitely no cruise ships in my future.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Cruise Alternative

With the recent Cruise Industry warning, and low oil prices forecast, seems like an ideal time to push fast-forward on that Alaska adventure. I predict epic discounts and availability for the early birds pursuing this idea. C'mon up!
Old 03-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
If this acts like other coronaviruses warm weather will slow it down since warm humid weather is not ideal for it to spread. One thing is that when we camp we really don't have much contact with people except at the gas stations or grocery stores. If you don't want to go to the grocery store and a Walmart is close by you can always do an order or pickup.

I would consider wearing rubber gloves in some areas if shopping in stores, using hand sanitizer, and make sure surfaces are wiped down.

As stated already above it depends upon your risk group. Frankly being out in the open air away from people would be a good thing. I haven't hardly had a sniffle all winter, and I live in WI with all kinds of flu and colds etc. I got my flu shot, avoid shaking hands, and generally stay away from people that are sick. I also don't like flying at this time of the year. And to me cruises are petri dishes for all kinds of crap. NO DESIRE to be on them.

So common sense is in order. Go camp.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 04:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Flu, COVID, etc.

I'm not sure I'm so sanguine about this. Particularly the COVID vs. Flu comparison.

Remember that we have the best medical systems in the world (e.g. the US and Europe) studying this for the last 100 years. The clinical and academic and regulatory medical agencies are constantly gathering data about flu and analyzing it. So while we don't know everything about Flu, and all statistics are only approximations, we know most of the facts needed to determine how risky at least the last version of the Flu was. And make no mistake, those statistics are gruesome.

But COVID. We don't know diddly. The Chinese haven't shared their statistics or access to their records to let us judge in Western terms what the stats are. And given that this is blowing up right now, and that what we know is already many weeks behind the actual transmission--i.e., people testing positive today were exposed at least 10 days ago, which means whoever infected them was infected another week or more ago, and it could well have been a third or fourth degree of separation infection--and we don't know how many people are laying dead in out of the way villages in Asia in places where there's no health surveillance ... add that we don't know how it's transmitted or how persistent it is ...

Given all that, I would say that it pays not to be casual. To assume that there's no risk because "flu is worse" is just ridiculous: we don't have the facts to make that comparison. So again, I urge caution. After all, you only have one chance to get this right. And your mistake could sicken you, your family, perhaps your pets, your children, the people you work with ...

Being casual about this and making assumptions is the wrong move.
Belbein is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I am planning a trip to see my brother and his wife. They're both cautious about this. However, I was also planning a trip to Texas to see all sorts of old friends. That one, I think, is going to have to wait a bit. For the time being, maybe wiser to do some more "place-oriented" trips rather than "person-oriented" ones.

Lynn
Old 03-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
1977 Argosy 28
Southern Ohio , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
For us, we're thinking there may be some cancellations at popular spots, we will see.

I hadnt thought of this positive side effect...

Frankly, I’m over this whole thing already and all the freaking out about it.
StephSH is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
... this year's flu is 4 times more lethal ....
There is significant debate on that. This (below) is the best perspective piece that I have seen on COVID-19 to date. Mind you, today is March 9, 2020, and information is being updated almost daily.

For the TL;DR folks, I've reproduced the graph below the link.

Why We Should Care: Common Questions and Answers about Covid-19

InterBlog is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
We have reservations for the 2020 WBCCI International Rally in Loveland, CO., our first.

The Rally Planning Team sent an email indicating they're continuing to monitor the COVID-19 situation and provide updates when appropriate. I hope the situation improves before June!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
. . .
. . . This (below) is the best perspective piece that I have seen on COVID-19 to date. Mind you, today is March 9, 2020, and information is being updated almost daily.
. . .
Thanks for the link and chart. Very helpful for us older folks to have some real data.

Used Airstreams in good condition may be easier to sell this season!

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
There is significant debate on that. This (below) is the best perspective piece that I have seen on COVID-19 to date. Mind you, today is March 9, 2020, and information is being updated almost daily.

For the TL;DR folks, I've reproduced the graph below the link.

Why We Should Care: Common Questions and Answers about Covid-19

Medium?
I'm a little hesitant about getting all my info from a 'website', after all... you are on a website.😂

CDC may be a better source.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The news media loves to egg things on. Age is not the determinate, health condition is. If you have lung, heart, kidney or blood issues you need to avoid this virus. the age multiplier is 100% related to the actual factors.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Funny, I heard Kelly Ann Conway saying the same thing on television this morning. Nothing to worry about if you're healthy. Tell that to Dr. Li Wenliang, the 34 year old Chinese doctor who sounded the alarm in Wuhan. He died after contracting the virus. He wasn't in the high-risk group by any means.

This is not a the new media egging things on. This is not your ordinary flu; it goes from moderate to severe quickly then it's too late.

Our company has manufacturing plants in China and all over Europe including Italy. All travel has been halted, international and domestic. We stopped all external meetings and do not allow visitors, handshakes or hugs.

I prefer to be educated about what is happening and follow safe prevention practices.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Medium?
I'm a little hesitant about getting all my info from a 'website', after all... you are on a website.��

CDC may be a better source.��

Bob
����
FYI here is the live link which was in blue in Post #11:

https://medium.com/@davetroy/why-we-...9-6b166f1876e9

At the bottom of the chart for "death rate by age," the CDC is credited as one of the sources.

Business Insider links:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffnt&q=bus...vid-19&ia=news
https://www.businessinsider.com/chin...rs-2020-1?op=1
Charts: https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...gs-2020-2?op=1

Fourth chart is this one, but without CDC credit:

See this article: https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...er-risk-2020-2
Folks over 80 have a 14.8% chance of dying.

China CDC: http://www.chinacdc.cn/en/

I can't find that chart anywhere else, including the US CDC -- edit time running out.

Good luck, all!

Peter

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We are leaving on a seven week trip starting next month. We may alter some places we were going to visit where there may be crowds but other than that, we plan to just be cautious, wash and wipe. We will adjust our itinerary as we are on the SW adventure.

Jim
Tater is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Heading straight to Seattle from Florida in April. Stopping in JC on the way. A couple young know kids in 30s here though. Still invincible.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Funny, I heard Kelly Ann Conway saying the same thing on television this morning. Nothing to worry about if you're healthy. Tell that to Dr. Li Wenliang, the 34 year old Chinese doctor who sounded the alarm in Wuhan. He died after contracting the virus. He wasn't in the high-risk group by any means.

This is not a the new media egging things on. This is not your ordinary flu; it goes from moderate to severe quickly then it's too late.

Our company has manufacturing plants in China and all over Europe including Italy. All travel has been halted, international and domestic. We stopped all external meetings and do not allow visitors, handshakes or hugs.

I prefer to be educated about what is happening and follow safe prevention practices.
Probabilities. Even the flu will take someone unexpectedly. I heard the head of the NHI state something to that effect.

The probability goes up with age since it is often those older that have other health issues.

Often health issues are not necessarily abundantly apparent. I think of all those young athletes that die on the basketball court unexpectedly. Only to find out they had some unknown condition.

So this means older people (I’m 64 and part of that group) need to be a bit more vigilant. And even though I am in excellent health one can’t be careless.
1). Wash hands.
2). Stay away from large crowds.
3). Avoid places where sick people are i.e hospitals and clinics whenever possible.
4). Clean surfaces.

And as the post states don’t shake hands, etc. Something to be said for the Japanese bowing.

I think camping shouldn’t be an issue any more than normal activities. But there may be camping facilities that could be an issue. If one uses the public showers and restrooms one needs to be careful.

Prudence.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Exactly what is the correct and factual information and according to whom.

We should not trust the information coming out of or from China.

We should be able to trust the information coming from the CDC. However that information could be rapidly changing and updating. Is the CDC censored or directed which information to make public.

Some are saying it's no worse than a bad flu season. A bad flu season can kill thousands of elderly and infants. Elderly folks with preexisting heart and lungs conditions seem to be at higher risk.

Hard to image States declaring emergencies when they don't even have one reported case.

Yes the media exaggerates greatly but quarintine, cruise ships floating about aimlessly, declaring states of emergencies do make it seem much more serious than a severe flue season.

We didn't have any trips planned but are practicing clean hands, limiting handshakes,
not touching face,
avoiding sick people.

Just the average daily movement of a persons family and work likely exposes you to all kinds of risks anyway. We work full-time and interact with the public so can only limit that so much. Practice what you can, limit what you can and hope for the best.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply
Closed Thread