Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just some ideas on what we are doing during crisis

Yup. Thanks for the kind thoughts. Took a slip and hard fall while on the hill behind our house looking for a lost dog. Slipped, skidded down and chose to protect my head as priority.

Dislocated thoroughly and broke the bottom of both bones badly. Took surgery and a plate and handfuls of screws. So many staples to close it up it looked like the doctor installed zippers.

It’s been a month, it’s healing well, and makes it really easy to stay indoors. Good thing I normally work from home...

We’re staying in, cooking our own food, and enjoying the rain we will get all week. Unusual late spring storm in Southern California.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I got a lesson in glove removal from our daughter. She pointed out that the way most people take off gloves is not the way to go. Assume the outside of the gloves is contaminated.

Dirty to dirty - with one hand, pinch up the palm of the other glove and pull it off, turning it inside out as you do so.

Clean to clean - then, with your clean hand, slip a a couple fingers under the glove on your other hand, pinch the glove from the inside, and pull it off, also turning it inside out as you go. Then, holding the gloves by the clean insides, discard them.

I was doing it wrong....

Al
How to Safely Remove Gloves to Avoid Accidental Contamination
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
We had our first 70+ degree day yesterday and decided to open up Olaf, our 27' Globetrotter to move some stored items back from winter. We're luck to have a concrete pad next to the garage but getting in the door is tight since it's only a 10' pad and the rear door faces the garage.

I explained to the DW that a 30' Classic has the door in the front and it would be much easier to get in with the trailer backed in. The ER nurse said the lump on my head should go down with ice.

Kidding aside, we decided to have dinner in the GT and remembered why we got an Airstream. Can't wait for everything to settle down and get back on the road!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2743 (1).jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	365167  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #24

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
The Airstream is hooked up behind the house, ready for use as an isolation facility if one of us needs it. Food is not a problem because I pass the time working in my 2000 sq. ft. vegetable garden at the rear of the property. We are just finishing up the winter vegetable season here in Florida (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, kale, cabbage, lettuce, etc.) and the first of the spring veggies are starting to come in (squash, beans, tomatoes, peppers, etc.). We have been freezing, canning, and dehydrating the veggies. Lots of seafood and meats in the freezer as well, so we are good to go in that regard so long as we don't lose power.
courtneych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #25

Escondido , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I just wanted to say what my wife and I are doing during this virus pandemic.

We came home from a 6 month trip to absolutely no food in our house. That was three days ago.

We have made several decisions to get supplies. We ordered from Target 3 weeks ago and got paper towels and toilet paper. We signed up with our local grocery store for a carryout food purchase. We got 156.00 of a 215.00 order. That was fine. Food in the freezer. Our local store has no openings for more pickups and their website has crashed.

We ordered fruits and vegetables from "Imperfect" and will be getting 20 lbs of fruits and vegetables in about 5 days. $20 a box delivered every Wednesday

We ordered steaks and ground beef from Omaha steaks. I just received 190.00 worth of meat two weeks later.

We signed up with Martha Steward's cooking meals for three meals (2 people) a week. $53.00 is a lot cheaper than we would have spent going out. Great meals and fun to cook during these times.

I ventured into our local grocer at 9:00 pm at night to see what was left. I was surprised to find that the store was stocking the shelves and there was plenty. Meats, fruits and veggies, and frozen foods were all available. I bought 256.00 that night. Make sure you wipe all the packaging down with Clorox wipes before taking inside. I have 10 N95 masks and I will wear one every time I enter a store.

I have had respiratory issues in the past. I know I can not have a bout with this virus.

We have positioned our Airstream in our driveway and will use it if one of us gets sick. It is the perfect vehicle for this kind of service. Our local city administration has a code that says we can keep our trailer in our driveway for only two weeks. It will get tested this time. I have no intention of moving it.

Your trailer can help isolate you or your loved ones in an emergency. Bring your trailer home if it is at another location. It can help you if your hospitals are full and you have nowhere to go. Where else would you want to be?

We have isolated ourselves from everyone. We feel comfortable doing this as we just got off a 6-month adventure. Do yourself a favor and do the same. The peak of this virus is coming in 2 to 3 weeks. It will come back down after that. Don't get caught out during the peak of the virus. Stay at home safe from infection. Wash your hands right now as you read this.

Many here are older and vulnerable to this virus. Don't take any chances. We came back from 6 months of travel and none of our neighbors were there to greet us. That was perfect! They all know. We know.

It is going to get very bad over the next three weeks. You do not want to be a statistic. If you have no protection, get your kids to do the shopping if you need food. Get your food now not two weeks from now.

I only say this as I know I would not survive this virus. My lungs were compromised years ago on a cruise ship with some bizarre respiratory virus that lasted three weeks. It left me scared. My doctor said to avoid all situations that might cause me to get sick and to get with him as quickly as I can if I feel a respiratory issue coming on.

We live in some very trying times.
Dear Turk123
I am glad you had such a great adventure.
You made right choices on everything you mentionned.
We are in France right now and been confined 3 1/2 weeks and it is getting worse.
Please listen to me all...It is not going to get better in 2-3 weeks. It is going to get worse.
Do not intend to leave home in 3 weeks. Stay safe at home and wait.
Be careful, this virus us a KILLER
With love to all
Bibaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I took a 60 day leave of absence from my grocery store retirement job. Too much risk since our protection from the public is minimal. Some friends and relatives and the reality that I want to stay around this earth for a while convinced me. Thankfully my employer understands and told me not to worry about leaving temporarily. My supervisor said that that you gotta protect yourself Jack. Call me when you are ready and I'll put you back on the schedule.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Turns out that I would be practicing social distancing and self-quarantine even without COVID-19, thanks to a pre-existing and worsening diabetic foot injury that got infected as it got worse. Spent five days last week as an in-patient on one of the few floors of my local hospital that wasn't reserved for COVID-19 quarantine, and I'll be taking intravenous antibiotics three times a day through a PICC line for at least another month. Plus I'm scheduled for foot surgery on Monday, following which I won't even be able to walk at all for a while, let alone drive anywhere. So I won't be seeing anyone at all except a home health care nurse to change my bandages and maintain the PICC line.

Uber Eats is going to be my new best friend for a while, especially since my Adult Sunday School class chipped in to buy me a $100 Uber Eats gift card for my convalescence. Much more practical as a "get well" gift than a floral arrangement!

Luckily I've also got plenty of reading material and an extensive DVD/Blu-Ray collection so I'm not at the mercy of broadcast or cable television. You know why television is called a communications medium? Because it's neither rare nor well done!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:00 PM   #28
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Turns out that I would be practicing social distancing and self-quarantine even without COVID-19, thanks to a pre-existing and worsening diabetic foot injury that got infected as it got worse. Spent five days last week as an in-patient on one of the few floors of my local hospital that wasn't reserved for COVID-19 quarantine, and I'll be taking intravenous antibiotics three times a day through a PICC line for at least another month. Plus I'm scheduled for foot surgery on Monday, following which I won't even be able to walk at all for a while, let alone drive anywhere. So I won't be seeing anyone at all except a home health care nurse to change my bandages and maintain the PICC line.

Uber Eats is going to be my new best friend for a while, especially since my Adult Sunday School class chipped in to buy me a $100 Uber Eats gift card for my convalescence. Much more practical as a "get well" gift than a floral arrangement!

Luckily I've also got plenty of reading material and an extensive DVD/Blu-Ray collection so I'm not at the mercy of broadcast or cable television. You know why television is called a communications medium? Because it's neither rare nor well done!
Wishing you a speedy recovery after your surgery.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sorry to hear about your injury. Take good care of yourself, and make a speedy recovery.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Good Luck Doyle. Hope your treatment goes well.

I went through the same thing last year. My infection was not diabetes related, so I had fewer potential complications. I had neuropathy in my right foot from a herniated disc. I went barefoot in the driveway and abraded the skin off of my toe without knowing it. I cleaned and bandaged it but it got infected anyway. I spent a week inpatient, then 5 weeks of PICC Line IV antibiotic therapy (only once daily) then another 4 weeks on oral antibiotics. Now one year later and no problems.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote