Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We only have two trips planned, August and Sept. If those locations are open, I do not expect to do anything different. If I still must wear a mask to go to the grocery, I will do so. If I must cook all of my meals, I will do so.
Larry
Old 04-14-2020, 08:15 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I believe a large part of the population will avoid cruise ships and air travel and instead opt for camping/road trips. As a result I would expect RV Parks and campgrounds to be slammed. We may be doing more when schools are in session.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Yes, if campgrounds and state and federal parks are anything like the large "management area" here in RI where I mountain bike, it will be flooded with millions of newly minted outdoor enthusiasts. It won't be pretty.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
At this point, we're just hoping to be able to camp at all this summer. Almost all rally activities have been canceled: only Region 7 rally still there in August. IF we get to go see our NY state son and family, it won't be by our usual route through Canada, probably.
Sad summer, but worse things could happen to us personally, so we'll soldier on and look forward to next year.

Kay
Old 04-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think after the "all clear" is given it will look like the gold rush of 1880. Campers racing to get to a campsite. Private campgrounds might inflate prices to meet demand, and offset their losses.
I had already decided to use more state parks and COE facilities. Not boon docking, per se, but less commercial.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2020, 09:20 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I think after the "all clear" is given it will look like the gold rush of 1880. Campers racing to get to a campsite. Private campgrounds might inflate prices to meet demand, and offset their losses.
I had already decided to use more state parks and COE facilities. Not boon docking, per se, but less commercial.
I guess it also depends on how many simply don't have the money. People are seriously underestimating the economic impact this is going to have.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I really don't anticipate changing our streaming habits, whether it is the type of campground (prefer State parks), location (South and Southwest except for lengthy jaunts), food acquisition (we mostly take our own), or frequency (5-7 nice outings annually except for the lengthy jaunts). I will be curious to see how full or empty campgrounds will be when the window is re-opened for reservations. I suspect one might be ready with a list of dates and locations to make on-line plans.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Louisville , Kentucky
Will play it safe with social distancing & no travel until the country is once again under control & healthy again. Not worth the risk to travel.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #29
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
I will definitely include masks 😷 among my standard supplies even though I can make a tee shirt/bandana mask. Also, pocket dispenser of sanitizing wipes. 🧐 I keep a container of wipes in the TV but, hadn't kept them on my person... 🤔

Other than that, I probably won't make changes - I'm people adverse also and generally camp alone. 😏
Old 04-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #30
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
I always take at least one long trip (for me) - 3 to 5 weeks. However, this summer I will not take any long trips but many short trips and closer to home. I have not been to the closer parks and lakes for many years so it will be like renewing an old relationship. It will still be "fun" to get the Silver Lady on the road.

Enjoy your summer but be safe!!!
Old 04-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #31
Airstream'n Bachelor

2018 30' Classic
Pine Ridge , Florida
One issue not discussed is “how will you do your laundry “. This will be a very risky activity if you go to a laundromat.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #32
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Depends

I don't see much clearing up as far as the fear of the virus, and the future in general. Without adequate testing we are totally clueless, this has turned into a total failure of leadership, no plan in place whatsoever.
Flame suit on
Old 04-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Dark skies, quiet places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
Will you change: o Where you go?
Yes a little with more boondocking, remote sites, and away from cities. This is how we've previously prefered to camp.

Quote:
o The Kind of campgrounds you prefer?
Stay more at NPS, USFS, BLM, state, city, smaller parks, and 'journey' parks when in route. Will try to visit areas during "off season". Will only frequent city or destination RV locations when working in the locale or otherwise a must do.

Will use Campendium and similar apps more to find new spots. This requires more advanced planning, with Plan A, Plan B, etc,. for each stop.

Quote:
o What geographical regions will you frequent or avoid?
Frequent open areas in SW, W, and NW.

Avoid the crowded eastern seaboard and midwest, near cities and tourist attractions, and around interstate highway routes.

Quote:
o How you get fuel and food?
Will not change much. Continue to frequency local hippie, natural food stores and stores like Whole Foods rather than traditional grocery stores. Will likely carry more days of food between restocking.

Will fuel as before, when tank reaches 1/2 full and at the end of each day (when possible). Use gloves and mask while fueling. Will continue to use Gas Buddy and find stations with easy-in and out for trailers.

Quote:
o What kind of activities you will or will not engage in?
Have always enjoyed dark skies, super quiet places, and few people. That will continue.

Will eat almost always at trailer.

When camped with others, prefer joint meals where we can spread out and sit around an area of campfire, rather than at closely packed tables.

Will not engage in large gatherings unless social distancing sensitive. Will avoid "pot luck" meals. Will scrutinize food handling conditions.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
Old 04-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #34
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Since 90% of our camping is "Off-grid" - boondocking ... nothing will change once the Province opens up the travel restrictions. We just won't be open to visitors, at least until a vaccine is available.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
Old 04-14-2020, 10:36 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hadn’t even thought yet about routine things during long trips...like laundry.

I am expecting that there will be guidance from our health experts about resuming mundane tasks that by definition must occur in public places and within proximity to others.

Like laundry in laundromats...which those without washers and dryers at home are probably already dealing with.

I will probably keep a stock of masks in my Interstate, to wear in laundromats and grocery stores indefinitely.

We who travel for leisure are a privileged minority, is the truth.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
What ideas do you have for changing your camping activities after it has been deemed safe to reopen our states to accommodate camping and there is enough toilet paper to go around?

Will you change:
o Where you go?
o The Kind of campgrounds you prefer?
o What geographical regions will you frequent or avoid?
o How you get fuel and food?
o What kind of activities you will or will not engage in?

I ,miss camping and want to start doing it again but want to do it safely given that the virus may still be circulating and we have no vaccine yet.

I know you will have some great ideas to help us all be safer, and healthier campers as we hook up and begin to travel again.

Thanks
I will not change anything.
The Wuhan Flu is nothing more than the current dujour flu making it around the world. Any vaccine is useless because next years flue season will bring around a mutation that we will have to build up antibodies against all over again. This cycle is forever . I have lieved through 76 years lof flue seasons and this is the first time the governmet decided to take over my life with the excuse that it is for my own good.
I was born and grew up in a communist country and government scares the daylights out of me. Especialy when they decide to restrict my freedom. It never turns out good for the people.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I will not change anything.
The Wuhan Flu is nothing more than the current dujour flu making it around the world. Any vaccine is useless because next years flue season will bring around a mutation that we will have to build up antibodies against all over again. This cycle is forever . I have lieved through 76 years lof flue seasons and this is the first time the governmet decided to take over my life with the excuse that it is for my own good.
I was born and grew up in a communist country and government scares the daylights out of me. Especialy when they decide to restrict my freedom. It never turns out good for the people.
Why worry...you are.....never mind, not worth the effort.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
I’ve been thinking about pot lucks - I will probably bring my own “scooper” to them also potlucks may think about having servers rather than everyone take their own
Servers are a Great Idea generally!
Being boiled shrimp to a pot luck to bring out the most inconsiderate behavior in people. Servers can politely do portion control as well as keeping the finger dipped sampler from indulging. "Here is a sample (on a little wooden spoon)"
Keeping cooties outta da food is just a bonus!

Betcha NO ONE makes fondue for ages! I would, but serve the hot cheese in preheated individual ramekins (Martha Stewart would be so proud!) And hand out toasted bread in cupcake papers. Toothpicks for the actual dipping.

Chip and veggie dip will need similar precautions.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Too Funny!

skyguyscott;2350720]I plan on going everywhere and hugging and kissing everyone!

FRENCH KISSING even!

Great plan to really lean into!

Already canceled 2 trips. I just hope to be able to GET reservations after the clear to travel. I do not like to camp at close quarter places anyway. So not much will change except at refueling. Maybe less hiking and more mountain biking.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Wilderness Rider Buffalo Ranch

doctorlewis

I always take at least one long trip (for me) - 3 to 5 weeks. However, this summer I will not take any long trips but many short trips and closer to home. I have not been to the closer parks and lakes for many years so it will be like renewing an old relationship. It will still be "fun" to get the Silver Lady on the road.

I have not been here yet but close to home and sounds like fun. Plan to bring along my dirt bike and leaving the mountain bike at home for a change.
Closed Thread