Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Gov shuts down OH 3/24, incl. JC

Due to the rapid spread of Covid-19, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine says Ohio will be under a "Stay at Home" order beginning Monday, March 23, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. and will remain in effect until 11:59 p.m. on April 6, 2020, unless the order is rescinded or modified.

This will impact all work at Airstream HQ in Jackson Center, both new assembly and work on customer trailers. Expect delays to go beyond the two-week shut-down due to the logistical inertia associated with starting everything back up whenever that happens.

I would imagine the factory will spend Monday securing the facility and making arrangements for shut-down rather than working on anything already in progress.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Due to the rapid spread of Covid-19, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine says Ohio will be under a "Stay at Home" order beginning Monday, March 23, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. and will remain in effect until 11:59 p.m. on April 6, 2020, unless the order is rescinded or modified.

This will impact all work at Airstream HQ in Jackson Center, both new assembly and work on customer trailers. Expect delays to go beyond the two-week shut-down due to the logistical inertia associated with starting everything back up whenever that happens.

I would imagine the factory will spend Monday securing the facility and making arrangements for shut-down rather than working on anything already in progress.
And the JC closure info you provided came from where?
I have an appt set...I'll wait for JC to confirm directly.🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
Darn we figure it would come to this. Our order was scheduled to come off the line this Friday. However it is more important to consider safety first. That said, it will almost certainly be more than just two weeks. Probably looking at a May/June delivery now.
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Appointment

I have a May appointment but I imagine this would force all appointments way back. Bob I did here a hint of a closing from my Airstream Schedule Person as they were hearing the Governor was thinking of closing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
And the JC closure info you provided came from where?
I have an appt set...I'll wait for JC to confirm directly.🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quick Mod Note: the topic of this thread is the government ordered shutdown of non-essential businesses in Ohio, perhaps including the Mothership in Jackson Center, OH. Off topic posts have been at least temporarily removed while the mod team reviews. In the interim, please do not repost.

The mod team urges all members of the forum to remember our cardinal rule here at Air Forums. Above all, be nice. There were plenty of "not nice" messages in the set of removed posts. Please review the Community Rules again before posting here, or elsewhere in the forum.

Thanks.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
I tried a couple of times today to contact the service department at Jackson Center by phone, but have not been successful.

Perhaps others here have had a direct confirmation from Jackson center on the reach of the shut down.

Given the wording of the order from the governor, it does seem likely to circumscribe most if not all work at Jackson Center.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The staff of the Wally Byam Airstream Club will be working from home during this mandated shutdown as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #8
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
From what we're hearing in the building/construction industry, in addition to home building & other residential & commercial construction (apartments/condos, grocery/drug stores, hotels, etc.) being essential services - the building of travel trailers in general may end up being exempted as an essential service for temporary housing production.

However, your personal trailer may end up being sidetracked &/or delayed, while they produce temporary use trailers for FEMA & some States to use for quarantine quarters, housing additional medical & other essential workers who are/will be moved into high impact areas, etc.

Keep checking with trusted authorities & sources on this.

IMHO - nobody should plan on traveling to visit your "AS home planet" now, since it's non-essential travel - what with the national guidelines for not doing discretionary travel, & now Ohio's order for same plus stay at home orders.

I'm sure that Ohio's residents & medical professionals would appreciate you staying away not coming into their Home State, & those along your route, as well as you not taking anything back home with you.

Stay home, stay safe, & keep others safe.
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Perhaps JC can get an exemption for the full-timers who are there and in critical need of service because it is their only home. Fix and out.

Or, let them park there until the factory opens again.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #10
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Perhaps JC can get an exemption for the full-timers who are there and in critical need of service because it is their only home. Fix and out.

Or, let them park there until the factory opens again.
I think that it's already exempted for such repairs, since that's currently covered under the Federal exemptions under "Transportation" (pg 8) -

https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/f...-1-20-508c.pdf

If JC &/or AS dealers are unaware of this document, perhaps share it with them. Both dealer repair facilities & those at JC should apply, as with auto repair.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
From Thor’s 8-K filing:

"As the coronavirus pandemic continues to evolve, Thor remains focused on the safety of its employees, their families, and all of the communities in which we operate. The concern for the safety of our people is always paramount but the situation of today is unique and calls for action. As state governments, including Indiana and Ohio where a substantial number of our production facilities exist, declare statewide emergencies requiring their citizens to stay at home except for limited circumstances, Thor is today announcing the temporary suspension of all of its production in North America. Additionally, a substantial portion of our production in Europe is temporarily suspended as well," said Bob Martin, President and CEO of Thor Industries.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
. . .
. . . Thor is today announcing the temporary suspension of all of its production in North America.
. . .
Thanks for catching that.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:16 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Production only?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-24-2020, 05:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Bob - call service to be sure but odds are the entire operation is shut down.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:40 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
I called last week. Kevin in service was optimistic that they would be able to keep service up & running. They have our email, if we are still in the dark I'll call a few days before.

The World won't end because "Cloudsplitter" is just a biggamist.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Columbus Dispatch has the story:
https://www.dispatch.com/business/20...navirus-crisis
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Key quote from above story:
Wheeler said 110 of the company’s 950 workers will remain this week and that the workforce will drop to 40 next week. Workers will remain to ship parts to dealers and in Airstream’s own service operation, Wheeler said.

So maybe the service department will stay open?

Hard to tell from article, remaining questions: Does this mean just phone operators, or does it include those actually working on customer trailers. And if so, are they taking in new jobs, or just finishing what they have currently until this blows over?

Gov says two weeks may be extended, depending, but not to be surprised if it is extended.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Key quote from above story:
Wheeler said 110 of the company’s 950 workers will remain this week and that the workforce will drop to 40 next week. Workers will remain to ship parts to dealers and in Airstream’s own service operation, Wheeler said.

So maybe the service department will stay open?

Hard to tell from article, remaining questions: Does this mean just phone operators, or does it include those actually working on customer trailers. And if so, are they taking in new jobs, or just finishing what they have currently until this blows over?

Gov says two weeks may be extended, depending, but not to be surprised if it is extended.
Thanks...our appointment is mid April, I'll ck again before leaving.🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Thanks...our appointment is mid April, I'll ck again before leaving.[emoji848]

Bob

[emoji631]

I have a mid April appointment for minor warranty work and some upgrades. Received an email yesterday from my service advisor informing me that my new awning that was ordered in March for the appointment probably won’t arrive as ZipDee is shut down. However, I was asked if I still want the other work to occur. Seems to me that the appointment is still on. I’m awaiting clarification but I don’t think I will make the trip from Pennsylvania and will look to reschedule. I don’t want to chance things and want to be respectful of the circumstances surrounding this situation.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Well, it was good that I inquired last week as they had ordered the rong parts D'oh, correct stuff ordered, BUT?
Who knows what will happen.

It's only really important if we want to use 'Cloudsplitter' on the road, as we shelter in place while moving, with no social interaction or interweb, maybe not such a bad idea after all.

Bob
🇺🇸