Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Florida State Parks Camping closure

Just got a call cancelling our reservations for the end of April. They have cancelled all reservations for the next 60 days.

We were still planning on that trip, not sure what our options are now. Trailer is in Florida and that trip was to bring it home. Wonder if the balance of our reservations will cancel, combo of private, federal and Alabama parks.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stuart , Florida
Florida has fantastic state parks.

That said, closing them now is merely an excuse for state employees to do less & collect a paycheck.

Close the bath houses, if you wish, but the campsites themselves are great examples of social distance observance.

Shut out anyone other than Floridians, and all restrictions of the fed government, for CV restrictions are satisfied.

ps...Florida state parks collect about 70% of their costs from Park user fees...the other 30% comes from property taxes paid by residents...none of that 30% is paid by out of state users, that are not Florida Property owners
Denny Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I had a reservation for April 5-10 at a COE campground on Lake Alatoona in GA. I got notice that they had closed the campground. I was pretty proud of my self for grabbing the last waterfront campsite at Harrison Bay State Park in Tennessee. Guess what? Two days ago I got notice that they were closing the park. I guess this trip was never meant to be. These are not normal times!
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Just got a call cancelling our reservations for the end of April. They have cancelled all reservations for the next 60 days.

We were still planning on that trip, not sure what our options are now. Trailer is in Florida and that trip was to bring it home. Wonder if the balance of our reservations will cancel, combo of private, federal and Alabama parks.
There’s a pandemic on, ya know... a really wicked and highly contagious virus spreading like wildfire around this country and the world.

Stay home until the medical experts tell us it is safe to begin traveling again.

Maggie
Old 03-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

denny Arnold. Your statement closing Florida campgrounds “as an excuse for employees to do less, and collect a paycheck”
Obviously YOU are NOT in the medical field. This virus is insidious. It spreads easy. Lives on surfaces for time that if you touch, and them rub your eye.. it sets up camp in your lungs. It invaded you lung cells that do oxygen transfer. Destroying those cells, you can’t breath, you can go septic, you die. You need to rethink your statement in above post that employees of Florida want to do less and still collect paycheck
I’m embarrassed for you
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have visited numerous Florida State Parks and a large percent of the workers are work campers who do not get a paycheck. They put in their hours in exchange for a campsite. Many of them are full timers who must now find a place to hunker down. The statement about workers doing less and getting a paycheck is irresponsible and without fact.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Arnold View Post
Florida has fantastic state parks.

That said, closing them now is merely an excuse for state employees to do less & collect a paycheck.

Close the bath houses, if you wish, but the campsites themselves are great examples of social distance observance.

Shut out anyone other than Floridians, and all restrictions of the fed government, for CV restrictions are satisfied.

ps...Florida state parks collect about 70% of their costs from Park user fees...the other 30% comes from property taxes paid by residents...none of that 30% is paid by out of state users, that are not Florida Property owners

Dude, sporting some bitterness there I think. First question are you born and raised in Florida?...if not you should now leave based on your statement.
Second - you want your economy back next year then you better think about only having people living in Florida use your state parks... Florida thrives on folks not from there coming there and spending major bucks so you can live with the tax structure, hospital structure, and municipal structures in place.
You sound like the idiot transplant my brother is who lives there now and pretends he is a cracker. Do you even know what a cracker is and means? If not - then a transplant and leave immediately per your ban of non Floridians using facilities.

Yes - tourism does make things a pain but they spend cash. I remember going there in 1960 with my grandparents and what the state was then......I actually liked it back then so if you were not born there please leave now and take your friends so I can enjoy the Florida of 1960.

Sorry but your exclusionary statement was not appropriate in my opinion.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Boo hoo. Your plans are interrupted because Florida State Parks are temporarily closing. During a pandemic. To protect their employees and the public.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stuart , Florida
All the "Quips" were humorous, but your reply had just the right amount of righteous indignation.

Your composition skills show promise, keep working on them & I'm sure you' qualify for the GED, some day.

PS thanks for being embarrassed for me, my wife can use the help.

Have a great day, Preach on
Denny Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Florida State Parks Camping closure

Let’s see made my post 3/17 before the pandemic became extreme.

Glad to see everyone is keeping their humor.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote