Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Email from Airstream about Survey

Received an email from Airstream Inc about a survey of us owners if we would participate in loaning our trailers to first responders to live and sleep in at locations divorced from owners. While i understand their good intentions, why Airstream owners to lend their prized possessions in lieu of lesser FEMA trailers. Not me
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I suggested that Airstream Inc. provide trailers via their dealer network and compensate dealers accordingly. Airstream has much deeper pockets than individual owners and shouldn't ask individuals to do something that they themselves are apparently not willing to do.Why did they even ask?
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
It's only an ask. You don't know what you will get if you ask, but you do know what you will get if you don't. I think there is no harm in Airstream putting the idea out for consideration. I just heard that they are looking for donations of trailer use for medical responders at the field hospital set up at McCormick Place in Chicago. I need more details, and will see what I can find out about hook-ups, etc, but I am considering the request.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
. . .
You don't know what you will get if you ask, but you do know what you will get if you don't.
. . .
Well said.

No harm in asking . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
What happened to the hundreds/thousands of FEMA trailers from Hurricane support?

Did the users trash all of them, or are they sitting in a field to be recycled?

We spent just as much time in a unheated/non cooled tent for decades. Survived. This gives incentives for those who are ready to move on... to do that. Move on and get back to supporting a family.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
What happened to the hundreds/thousands of FEMA trailers from Hurricane support?

Did the users trash all of them, or are they sitting in a field to be recycled?
Most of them were scrapped as dangerous to use, after lethal amounts of formaldehyde and other toxic substances were found in them.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Our AS is part of our emergency plan. It’s parked in our garage and plugged into 30 amp. If either of us get sick, the sick person will close off the house bedroom and bathroom, staying there, and the well person will live in the trailer. For that reason, and for concerns about a trailer newb could cause issues with the trailer, I declined Airstreams offer.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
This is our plan also, except the sick person gets the Airstream and the well person (along with our currently stuck at home Naval Academy Firstie) gets the house.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Our son's girlfriend's Mom is a nurse in Michigan. She is working in the Covid unit at a hospital in Jackson. She is living in the SOB trailer she bought a couple of years ago, and it is in their yard, to avoid contaminating the house and her husband. She's putting herself at risk to help others. I will give up my trailer for a while to help others like her - I just need to figure out the details.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
1998 34' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Goodyear , Arizona
I agree with Silver Wind. I would add the the RV Industry need to step up and offer collectively their unsold equipment, both at the factory & on dealer lots to the {mod edit} Virus cause.; and quickly!!
Louie Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Also keep in mind that Airstream is owned by Thor. A very large RV conglomerate who makes a lot of box SOB trailers. (I owned one at one time). Lots of resources available to them to produce a lot of low cost basic sleeping units.

St. Louis University here in my area also is making available their unused dorm rooms for doctors and other medical folks available to live in.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #12
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_Plan View Post
This is our plan also, except the sick person gets the Airstream and the well person (along with our currently stuck at home Naval Academy Firstie) gets the house.
GO NAVY! Hoo Yah Firstie. What a great time of life. Never quit, always learn, always serve those you lead and you can't help but succeed.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Good intentions, but not a great idea. There are lots of used trailers sitting around on dealer lots that could be used. Disinfecting and repairing one of our Airstreams after loaning it out would be a chore additionally if and when this blows over we are hitting the road
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
It was just a survey.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Macomb , Illinois
FEMA trailers were auctioned by local auction house. There were several hundred auctioned just outside of Macomb, Illinois. Some were moldy. Some smelled like rotten fish. All went for more that $5,000. There maybe some better ones somewhere, but these were no bargain. My 1969 Ambassador from a woodland farm yard was only a mouse palace.
DntheRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
I suggested that Airstream Inc. provide trailers via their dealer network and compensate dealers accordingly. Airstream has much deeper pockets than individual owners and shouldn't ask individuals to do something that they themselves are apparently not willing to do.Why did they even ask?
The number of Airstreams in private hands far exceeds the number of new trailers in dealer lots and at Jackson Center. Also, any new units loaned out would be essentially used and thus depreciated. Also, some folks might like the idea of being able to offer the help to folks in need.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #17
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Never Hurts to Ask

One of life's lessons is that it never hurts to ask. I don't get criticizing the ask.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
One of life's lessons is that it never hurts to ask. I don't get criticizing the ask.
I agree - doesn't hurt to ask and some benefit may be seen as a result. That said the practicality of using an RV - any rv, as a haven for a front line worker seems untenable. Small holding tanks are an issue as showers are needed, thorough showers.

In the Seattle area, hospitals struck deals with local hotels to house workers and a day or so ago Hilton announced free stays for these same folks. This seems like a better solution as hotels are currently empty and they have needed infrastructure (showers, laundry, etc).

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:12 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
To AS people this fact is not at all surprising ��.
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
I thought the survey was a good idea. I also think it said more about me than than them. They are looking for a way to help by asking. I said ‘maybe’. I really want to help but I am too selfish to commit. I have a rather emotional attachment to the LilPeanut. Wouldn’t let my brother or sister borrow it for a weekend if they were homeless. Who is the better person, me or Airstream? As I have said before, just add it to my list of vices and bad habits. I have an emotional attachment to the LilPeanut and I am only partly ashamed of it. I am happy to make masks and give $ or send the DW to nurse the ill, but I don’t let anyone else sleep in my bed and use my forks and spoons.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote