Boulder City , Nevada
Darwin Awards during Crisis

"Why are you stocking up with cases of bottled water and toilet paper?"

Response: "In case the power goes out, we will be prepared."

Old 03-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Sorry Ray, there could never be a DA for something like that.

One pre-requisite is that the human being must actually perish, while performing the act in question.

https://darwinawards.com/rules/

"Reproduction
Out of the gene pool: dead or sterile.
Excellence
Astounding misapplication of judgment.
Self-Selection
Cause one's own demise.
Maturity
Capable of sound judgment.
Veracity
The event must be true"

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When I was in junior high I would hang out in the boys room and smoke, also take a wad of tp soak it in water and fling it on the ceiling satisfying a primal urge.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Several Current and Past: Darwin Award Runner Ups

I no doubt had some runner up Darwin Awards in the last decade on the Airforums.

I work hard at providing familiar weapons of choice, like reason and common sense. ...and maybe some constructive possibilities, blended with good whiskey.

Since this Thread is not a Scientific Thread, like others being discussed, this one is directed towards those taking a deep breath, sit back and keep up to date on accurate reports. Humans have tended to exaggerate the bad and minimize the good. I am not quite Human like Lumatic and OTRA15... which sounds like some virus had entered the discussion... or not?

I still recall the end of the last Ice Age and we also called it "Global Warming". Strange how it is still being discussed and what is left of the ice in the USA is at Glacial Park on the US and Canadian border... for a bit longer I hate to report.

This is, of course, not an option using MY Airstream for an Isolation Unit. This could be a runner up for a Darwin Award as it is more practical using tents, that are disposable. Although some of the warranty issues being discovered lately might just open the door for some offering their 30 foot Airstreams.

Bloodletting in the 18th Century led to the Death of George Washington in 1799. Only 40% of his blood was drained, which started with a 'sore throat'. We are very fortunate that medicine has progressed since then and we can probably thank the... Chinese for controlling 97% of the USA's pharmaceuticals. A smart corporate move, I say.

Sounds like a the drug that helps Malaria victims is having a come back. My Uncle from the Netherlands was fighting in East Asia and contracted it during WW2. He came back to the Netherlands, finally healthy and the Germans took him and his older brother to work... the Coal Mines in Germany. Lucky for him. Huh?

My family seems to be found in many situations... few of our own making.

What are your Darwinian nominations?
Old 03-20-2020, 01:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
ASK Questions First, MAKE Judgements Later :)

My Post #1. Otra15 suspected someone needed to be a real DA for something like that. They do exist.

Some homeowners were like Nancy and I, and some... well Darwin Award winners who live in a City and have no clue and over react.

This thread started in the Off Topic and moved to the Covid19 Forum.

WE lived in a neighborhood of 247 homes. Mostly in the $1million to $3million range with 5 to 30 acres southwest of Castle Rock, Colorado at 6800 feet elevation. Many owners had up to four Equine (horse, mules, donkeys). Water was important for the 'hobby ranches' and homes, just east of the Front Range Rocky Mountains high lands and mesas.

WE had an electrical water pump that accessed fresh crystal clear water, 484 feet below the surface. WE also would have power outages from the Rural Electric Service that supplied our electricity.

When the electrical power went down... we had NO water, NO refrigeration, NO lighting, etc. We made adjustments to this possibility, yet not often... we knew WHAT to do.

WE kept a case of bottle water just in case the Electric Power went down. It did, from time to time, in the seven years we lived there.

WE would water up the Airstream, which was on Solar... if needed.

We had a wood burning fireplace that could heat the entire home. We kept three cords of dry pine cut to 18 inches and split.

Many residents owned their own business. Doctors. Professional sports. Retired professionals. Yes, even a Geologist or two.

One thing I learned from my kind of living off the grid, inspecting businesses and trying to understand WHY people may do what they do was to ASK questions. Only Otra15 thought the original statement was a bit off, but could not come up with an example WHY.

There are Darwin Awards given to poor judgment during times of stress and confusion and well deserved. Often good advice is not welcomed by these folks.

MY neighborhood was an example of how some US Citizens have to be prepared and on top of things. We never flushed toilet paper into our Septic System... we had a container available. Anyone on a Septic System for their home... or those who constantly complain about their Airstream toilet and black tank not OPERATING PROPERLY. All self inflected injuries...

Sometimes the 'Rest of the Story' makes you stop and think. I do hope some who read this first post... now understand. I was speaking of 247 HOMES.

Ask Questions First... Make YOUR Judgment Later... sometimes it is ourselves who deserve the Darwin Award.

I keep them lined up on the wall. My education is lined with Darwin Trophy Awards... but only one at a time. Thanks for participating for a lesson well learned.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Freehold , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Remember that most of our experience in crisis/disaster management is with breakdowns in the supply line. Especially in cities where floods and storms and power outages typically define the crisis. These people are responding to an emergency as they have in the past, learning from their experiences with disasters. This might be why better guidance from the top might have helped, but probably not, fear and feeling helpless puts us in survival mode even if it’s faulty.
mikedebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
You know who is having a problem with this isolation? Our dog! We are used to being independent and alone, but when we walk the dog all she sees is people loving her, petting her and giving her treats. Well not anymore. Bummer.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Alfred Packer & George Donner Awards... make Darwin Awards good

Thank you Mike and Debi. A good post to consider others to write their experiences.

There are some members of this Forum who can be very helpful with insight. If you lived in remote areas as a child or an adult, your advice is important. There is no such thing as BAD Good Advice. It is a personal experience of value, although many authors have written books about remote living and disasters.

The New Madrid Earthquake in Missouri rang the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia! Ding Dong... in 1811 and still there is RISK of another.

How did you get through a flooded town episode? A Bridge washed out and taking a three mile trip became... 85 miles?

Rocky Mountain Blizzards... which buried entire towns in the 19th Century. Even Golden, Colorado was BURIED from a blizzard in 1913. Look it up. It is a reminder that Mother Nature can be brutal.

Fiction is a wonderful way to escape reality. Sometimes, like today, reality is hard to sort out.

I enjoy the books written by Explorers who crossed the USA West in the 1800 to 1880's. The Donner Party of 1846... was not much of a party. They were mislead by those in charge. Some became part of the menu.

Oregon Trail and the cut offs we experienced in the 2016 Wyoming Boondocking Adventure was an example of those who tried to find a better route West. Many failed miserably. Understanding how, afterwards... is a great teacher.

These books are inexpensive for even First Editions from the 1820's and 1840's. They are great teachers of how 'modern 1820' Travel was experienced.

We all learn from the recent past. Some learn some from the early failures and successes of scouts and pioneers. Sit back and do some understanding what diets were on the trail. Depending on Equine Power. Water stops. Wild plants for food. It is a wonderful time to relax and get ready for this Spring camping.

Darwin Awards have been known before the Origin of Species was written. He just put the idea in print, for a book, which made him an Enemy of Science for most of his remaining life of scientific work.

It all is now considered... correct and brilliant. How times can change.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Quote:
My Post #1. Otra15 suspected someone needed to be a real DA for something like that. They do exist.

Some homeowners were like Nancy and I, and some... well Darwin Award winners who live in a City and have no clue and over react.

This thread started in the Off Topic and moved to the Covid19 Forum.

WE lived in a neighborhood of 247 homes. Mostly in the $1million to $3million range with 5 to 30 acres southwest of Castle Rock, Colorado at 6800 feet elevation. Many owners had up to four Equine (horse, mules, donkeys). Water was important for the 'hobby ranches' and homes, just east of the Front Range Rocky Mountains high lands and mesas.

WE had an electrical water pump that accessed fresh crystal clear water, 484 feet below the surface. WE also would have power outages from the Rural Electric Service that supplied our electricity.

When the electrical power went down... we had NO water, NO refrigeration, NO lighting, etc. We made adjustments to this possibility, yet not often... we knew WHAT to do.

WE kept a case of bottle water just in case the Electric Power went down. It did, from time to time, in the seven years we lived there.

WE would water up the Airstream, which was on Solar... if needed.

We had a wood burning fireplace that could heat the entire home. We kept three cords of dry pine cut to 18 inches and split.

Many residents owned their own business. Doctors. Professional sports. Retired professionals. Yes, even a Geologist or two.

One thing I learned from my kind of living off the grid, inspecting businesses and trying to understand WHY people may do what they do was to ASK questions. Only Otra15 thought the original statement was a bit off, but could not come up with an example WHY.

There are Darwin Awards given to poor judgment during times of stress and confusion and well deserved. Often good advice is not welcomed by these folks.

MY neighborhood was an example of how some US Citizens have to be prepared and on top of things. We never flushed toilet paper into our Septic System... we had a container available. Anyone on a Septic System for their home... or those who constantly complain about their Airstream toilet and black tank not OPERATING PROPERLY. All self inflected injuries...

Sometimes the 'Rest of the Story' makes you stop and think. I do hope some who read this first post... now understand. I was speaking of 247 HOMES.

Ask Questions First... Make YOUR Judgment Later... sometimes it is ourselves who deserve the Darwin Award.

I keep them lined up on the wall. My education is lined with Darwin Trophy Awards... but only one at a time. Thanks for participating for a lesson well learned.
Wow you are strict on the septic! I have lived with a septic for 21 years at my present location. We use the disposal liberally, and of course tp goes down the toilet. I just had my mandated (in Washington) annual inspection. Inspector thought maybe next year we could pump the tank which is now on 5 years since the last pump. I don’t get altering your lifestyle like you live in Mexico. Use your tank and pump when needed. Pumping is cheap and life it too short to not flush tp!
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Like I said... not everyone agrees with Common Sense

Riverdrifter... that works great for you, as well.

We did not have to service our Septic until we were required by the State of Colorado when selling the home, after seven years. We had the Septic pumped when we moved in.

The toilet paper and anything else that the 'biotics' do not digest float as a mat. The previous owner paid people to mow their lawn and possibiy wipe their buttocks. Totally helpless executive living in the bush.

We had a Triple Stage 1250 gallon as the house had lots of bathrooms.

Our Leach Field had nice green grass that needed mowing, frequently.

Mexico... they used the trees along the sidewalk in the country side. No public restrooms. Toilet paper in mass... not a little.. a lot.

Our Outhouse as a kid in Montana worked just fine, as well. Toss whatever into it. Fill it... dig one near by and use that dirt to fill the other. I assume.

The Germans had a better deal. They did not dump toilet paper or magazine pages into their Honey Wagon, pulled by two to four horses, from home. When full they would disconnect from the house plumbing, pull out the Honey Wagon and go to the Fields. Where they dumped it to fertilize the fields for Spring growth. They had horses pulling them and occasionally they would get jammed up like an Airstream Rally and they had to figure out how to unknot the mess. Weekends were the special day of choice.

The 'rich German' used a tractor, but the same Honey Wagon that looked like a giant whiskey barrel... but never leaked from what I could... Smell.

This was 1960/1961.

My brother and I discovered this by accident. We were looking for 'swords and battle axes' in the Field. Found something we did not expect. Never went back into the field, but into the hills where ruined castles were everywhere.

Trains... in Germany and no doubt in the USA. You were asked not to use the restrooms when at a Station. I wondered... why? I looked. Railroad ties and track. So... it was advised to stand back when a steam locomotive came rushing by as the SH%T would fly.

Isn't a child's memory great? Curious minds find answers.

Thanks for the input... if you know what I mean.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

Toilet paper !!
Bunch of spoiled brats.
I had no idea that toilet paper existed until we ended up in a refugee camp in Austria.
Growing up in rural Hungary after the war we did our business outside by the manure pile. If things got a bit messy you used whatever was handy. A piece of twig or some grass. During the winter we squated down by the cows and used straw.
The outhouse was mostly for the women.
Wintertime was always a challenge since the creek would freeze over and washing up your privates became a problem.
Had one pair of shoes not to be worn during the summer. Sandals or barefoot all summer.
Water had to be drawn from the well.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
COV-DS
Corona
Virus
Derangement
Syndrome

I am currently parked in my driveway. Quite against city code. When Code Enforcement shows up. I intend to explain this is my COV-DS Isolation Facility.
ChuckFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
I love the Darwin Awards!!

Likely because I haven’t been the recipient of one ....
Old 03-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckFeldt View Post
COV-DS
Corona
Virus
Derangement
Syndrome

I am currently parked in my driveway. Quite against city code. When Code Enforcement shows up. I intend to explain this is my COV-DS Isolation Facility.

To detour would be robbers, post on the door. Warning “I have tested positive”.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
I love the Darwin Awards!!

Likely because I haven’t been the recipient of one ....
You just received a Darwin Award.

Julie-Bob passed on theirs to you for their Common Sense post.

I cherish mine as many appear to be Bowling Trophies.

mpsgolf... may be a runner up.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Ok, I've got a Winner.

This person felt chloroquine phosphate (Aquarium cleaner) is the same as the medicine chloroquine. If this hadn't gotten him, next he would probably have figured since sodium is salt, then sodium hypochlorite (bleach) would be an appropriate substitute.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/healt...ath/index.html
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

You can't make this stuff up!

Thanks for the link.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Darwin Award honorable mention

We offered a neighbor to pick up any groceries they might need at Costco thru a text message. Senior citizens can shop between 8am and 10am, before the young folk.

They did not need anything, but asked it we needed any rubber gloves. Nancy began to say... 'No'... but her husband and I have a sense of humor:

"No, but thanks. Ray gets all he wants out of the Hospital's trash."
Old 03-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

We are in a shelter in place order here in Montana. My business is considered essential. I have a mobile oil change business and do a lot of service on power company trucks etc.

Well today seemed like any other day. Lots of people out, lots of businesses open? How is radio shack considered essential? How come I am seeing people congregating in gas stations. I wouldn’t go into a gas station normally they seem dirty. But especially now use your card at the pump.

Also I went shopping with my wife and some were giving six feet and some not. I suggest taking two carts to register one for in front and one for behind you.

Cars of teens driving around etc, I could go on. The church across the street from me seem like a special kind of stupid. They got busted for live trapping And killing by gun shot the neighbors cats last year. The idiots are over there right now talking about Jesus and I see no less than 10 cars. You can’t make this **** up
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

I guess I can go on.

Friends kid flys home from Guatemala via Miami. Proceeds to walk around town visiting people. I see the kid walking by my house, he’s like 20 years old. I avoid him like the plague. If he had stopped over I’d have told him to go home. Turns out my wife decides to go for a hike with his mom. Kid decides to go and course they all ride in a car together. I’m ready to lose my sh$&

His mom and dad are both PhD I say phdumb.

When this all went down at first these PhD people and a bunch of other smarty pants all go for pizza I tell my wife no, she goes anyways, all restaurants close days later.

Wife’s sister flys from Maryland two weeks ago, wife asks me should they fly? I say I wouldn’t. When it comes time to leave they consider renting a car to drive home because guess what it’s not a good idea to fly.

It’s like I’m speaking Greek

Another friend and his family decide they are going to go on a pre planned river trip and drive 13 hours from Montana to southern Utah. Facepalm. They drop their dog off for us to watch. I’m thinking they are stupid. Well guess what half way there they get word the river is closing. Gee who could have guessed that ?

How are otherwise smart people being so dumb during crisis is beyond me

Just because you are a doctor doesn’t mean you are intelligent

Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote