Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Suffolk , Virginia
Cross Country from Virginia to Oregon

Dear Folks,

My wife and I have to make an essential trip across country to visit a family member.

We don't exactly have to rush - plan on leaving around May 18 and taking 5 or so days.

Any ideas on whether we will meet with anger from folks by being out of staters being in their state?

Also - can we expect campground to be generally open?

Planning on going more northern route than southern. Then maybe coming back southern.

Thanks
Jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Google says it's "44 hours" from Suffolk to Portland.

Five days, 9 hours of driving a day, not including stopping for fuel, food and you-know, will be a long week. Don't plan to see any sites during the process.

You could try "Boondockers Welcome" families along the way, since campgrounds will be hit/miss.

Have fun,

Stay Healthy,
Old 04-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
A lot depends on what part of Oregon you are going to. The more rural eastern part of the state may be partially open. I wouldn't place any bets on the Portland area....and really doubt the coastal campgrounds will be open due to the masses crowding them to get away from things. Camping reservations in the more popular parts of Oregon often fill up many months in advance - Our reservation for the end of May at a state park was cancelled for us by the state.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think that doing a northern route in mid May will bring you to some elevations where you may encounter snow and perhaps closed roads.

Might do more center-to-southern part of the country that time of year.

You undoubtedly will need to call ahead for open campgrounds, and if it were me I would be prepared to spend any given night in a lot without facilities.

I don’t know why you would run into hostility.

Maggie
Old 04-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Suffolk , Virginia
Ashland or
Old 04-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Louisville , Kentucky
Any out of stater going into Montana must self quarantine for 14 days per Governor of Montana. Might want to double check as time gets closer.’

Good luck!
Augianderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I just returned from a 2,800 mile cross country trip over six days to attend a family funeral. I did not encounter any hostility or issues while out of state. It was just like any other of my fast cross-country trips. I stayed in retail parking lots and refueled at large gas stations. I stayed for two nights in a closed city park campground in my former home town with special approval from the City Parks Director. People were friendly everywhere and the City Parks Director mailed me a Thank You note for staying in their campground and invited me to come back later this summer when I can stay longer. I do not personally know the City Parks Director, but he went out of his way to accommodate my stay. Due to this experience, I can't wait to get back to my summer travels when campgrounds open, and I will definitely be returning to that city park campground for an extended visit later this summer.

Bottom line recommendations from my experience: 1) Avoid going inside gas stations by using pumps that will accept your credit card. 2) Assume all public campgrounds are closed and be prepared to dry camp in commercial parking lots. 3) Bring a face mask or bandanna to wear when going inside any establishment because nearly everyone was wearing them. 4) While traveling with your Airstream you can avoid all contact with others. In my opinion its the safest way to travel during this pandemic.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #8

Lawrenceburg , Tennessee
Maybe think of Boondockers Welcome

This might just be the perfect time to use Boondockers welcome. You can stay on private property with pre arrangements of owners. Pretty wonderful group, friendly folks always for us have been other campers of like minds. We have had two or three stays at our farm now during Covid times, for folks passing through. I think just use social distance and mask, and be respectful you should be fine. As they say we are all in this together. Safe travels to you.
Kecarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayd View Post
. . .
My wife and I have to make an essential trip across country to visit a family member.
. . . plan on leaving around May 18 and taking 5 or so days.
. . .
You will need to go roughly 3,000 miles, or 600 per day. At an average speed of 50 MPH [taking into account gas/food/rest/etc.] this would amount to 12 hours of driving per day, for 5 consecutive days, not including setting up/breaking down for camping. I hope you are both able to drive the rig, because this pace is going to be very difficult IMO.

Moreover, the inevitable fatigue will introduce excessive risk into the trip IMO. If you are the only driver, even more so. Can you leave any earlier, and reduce the risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
I just returned from a 2,800 mile cross country trip over six days to attend a family funeral.
. . .
Was this the total R/T mileage, and were you the only driver? Echoing comment above, about possible excessive fatigue and risk IMO.

When we think we "have" to travel a certain way, in a fixed time period [due to the virus], we can fool ourselves with a self-induced myopia IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
I am on a trip which began mid march fom Roseburg Oregon. Went to Tulelake CA first night and on down via Boomtown RV near Reno and out into Nevada desert due to storm in high country along hwy 395, then to central Nevada Tonopah and then to Tecopa Springs / Shoshone CA near east side of death valley. Then to Desert Springs CA.

Not sure what you mean by northern route. so I am only going to talk generally about my experience. In rural areas you will find almost no compliance with CDC mask requirements etc. Campgrounds accepting you can be inconsistent or hit or miss depending upon local county commissioner interpretations of state governors stay at home restrictions and travel restrictions. So if its me, and I speak only of the rural west because that would be my route- rural- BLM boondock will be a likely availablity WITH EXCEPTIONS for those popular BLM areas (example Arizona Hills CA). And my back up plan would include using Walmart where you could, or rest areas. But then you need to be aware of rest area water and tank dumping etc. And I strongly suggest forgetting about any stink eye from locals. Some local will and others will not. Once starting out do a bit of night research a few states ahead and keep up to date for changes. Not all midwest and eastern states allow rest area overnighting, but in the west they generally do. Never forget https://freecampsites.net and https://www.campendium.com/free-camping and try this website for advice https://bearfoottheory.com/ultimate-...ree-campsites/.

About routes in Oregon. Along freeways the rest areas are plentiful. If you tell where in Oregon you are going I can be of much more help and you can email me via this forum.
southsaglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Most restaurants will be closed for seating. The typical fast food ilk will allow drive by pickup. Don't know if they will allow "walk up" orders from the street.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #12
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
I think you are talking a grinding drive. Unless you’re staying for weeks I’d fly
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Truck stops all the way it probably going to be your best choice. Utah, Colorado, Montana Arizona and others will kick you out of every place you stop. Even BLM land is closed.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Yes I was the only driver on my 6 day 2,800 mile trip. I drove from Apollo Beach, FL through Bloomington, IL to Oconto, WI. I took the route shown in Google Maps which states 1,492 miles each way by the exact route I took. I did it in three days of driving, but not three equal 500 mile days. I left about 2PM in the afternoon on the first day both ways and drove until dusk. To me that feels like a normal day which is not overtiring or fatiguing. After a good nights sleep in the Airstream, I started driving just after dawn and drove until dusk. That is a tiring and fatiguing day totaling 773 miles. I then sleep in a little after that tiring day and get to my destination around mid-afternoon on the third day. Therefore the third day of driving is again just another normal day. My exact stops: Day 1, Apollo Beach, FL to Perry, GA 364 miles. Day 2, Perry, GA to Bloomington, IL 773 miles. Day three Bloomington, IL to Oconto, WI 356 miles. Return route was just reversed with the exact same layovers. This works for me, it may not work for you.

Of course I prefer not doing these long trips in a short number of days. I prefer to take the back roads, stop when I see something interesting, have no destination or reserved campsite to make each day. But sometimes, one needs to be somewhere on short notice due to an emergency or unplanned event and has to put in long days to get there. Flying would have been cheaper, but I'll take the Airstream over flying any day.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Like them or nor, KOA’s have mostly stayed open. I would agree with another commenter that you could still see snow with a more northern route going out. It’s also a good time of year for hail in South Dakota based on experience.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Suffolk , Virginia
I think I led all to believe I was time constrained. I can take more than 5 days.
We do appreciate all the input.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2019 22' Sport
Forest Grove , Oregon
I drive Atlanta to Forest Grove 2 summers ago; up to St Louis then headed west- to took it in 7 days and was glad for a little respite at the end of the day. Reservations each night so I knew where I was landing.
I am moving this summer and will be repeating the trip, Lord willing. Aiming for July as start date.
Safe travels
KayakGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
Yes I was the only driver on my 6 day 2,800 mile trip.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayd View Post
I think I led all to believe I was time constrained. I can take more than 5 days.
We do appreciate all the input.
Thanks for the updates.

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:10 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
I am seconding the KOA recommendation. Most of them have stayed open and are checking customers in with an online system, from what I have heard. We traveled across the country last year at this time, and had to reroute when big storm systems (tornadoes and hail) were scheduled to hit Arkansas, Tennessee, etc. It is that season again. As if things couldn't get worse. I believe you are safer in your trailer than any other kind of travel. Planes? NO! Hotels? NO! Just disinfect the gas pump (disposable gloves) and then your credit card, then the door handle, and your steering wheel and your keys with each dismount from your tow vehicle. Then sanitize your hands. Wear your mask. Social distancing of at least 6 feet. You should be OK. Safe travels. * Retired RN over here. Can you tell?
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
This thread caught my eye as we’re moving from Eugene to Washington, MO mid-June. Hwy 20 thru Sisters/Bend/Burns to I-84 to SLC, catch I-80 east at SLC (about)...large dose of weather optimism here , then I-29 S to KC to catch I-70 E to WashMo. We are dealing with movers and their schedule overlaid on the builders schedule…sooo it’s 2100 miles give/take and I have 4 days to make it. Walk thru is 11 am on the 5th day, so have a “I’m too tired to drive any more” room. Coming back from Key West last winter and news of a pending funeral, drove from Travelers’s Rest, SC to Cape Girardeau, MO about 730 miles including a I-40 road closure & detour. One long day for sure. One being the operative word.

Last fall on out trip to ME, we took I-90 to CdA then east to Sioux Falls etc. I would possibly have a concern for weather for that route mid-May. I’d stay away from I-70 over the rockies….Like the high sierra’s they tend to make their own weather and May/June are sleeper months. South is really South. That means it’s I-40 thru Flagstaff (@ 7200’ I think) to Bakersfield and the better part of two days to Southern border of Oregon.

Here is a great weather site that covers from the rockies to the Pacific only…cameras, chain controls, you name it, all in one site. Easy to det defaults and move around depending on your area Found it on a Caltrans link, but glad I book marked it. Whet back and could not find it.
http://oss.weathershare.org/

Here is a thread current re KOA’s remaining open. They have a great travel planner, allows you to pick a route, determine how far off your path you’ll consider. After the realtor and movers are firmed up this week, I’ll zero in on what’s open and try to post.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...19-207742.html

https://koa.com/trip-planner/#%7B%22...2%3Anull%7D%7D
Also campgroundreviews.com has, if you’re registered, you can click on the upper left-hand corner “exclude temp park closures” to get what’s open in theory. I understand they have been working extremely hard to stay current. https://www.campgroundreviews.com/

As for OR, SP’s are closed, and I suspect most county parks. If can be more precise on your area, local folks can assist with local knowledge. Just saw on the news that OR is abut to open up more. I’ll believe it when I see it. Having said that I suspect by mid May things will be much different, both here and along your route.

Happy Trails

Bob

BTW once OTR, can you post feedback for others? Much appreciated.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote