Old 04-28-2020, 11:43 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech View Post
Truck stops all the way it probably going to be your best choice. Utah, Colorado, Montana Arizona and others will kick you out of every place you stop. Even BLM land is closed.

Arizona state parks and BLM land are open. I donít know about UT, CO, or MT. Campendium and some other apps have added filters so you can search by open parks.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #22

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Fe , New Mexico
welcome here as you pass thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayd View Post
Dear Folks,

My wife and I have to make an essential trip across country to visit a family member.

We don't exactly have to rush - plan on leaving around May 18 and taking 5 or so days.

Any ideas on whether we will meet with anger from folks by being out of staters being in their state?

Also - can we expect campground to be generally open?

Planning on going more northern route than southern. Then maybe coming back southern.

Thanks

you are welcome to stop in stay on my property, east of Santa Fe NM, if you like.
bambi ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
An update on Oregon state park camping from yesterday, April 28th. So, private campgrounds if open in Ashland are probably your only option for the dates you were going to be traveling in May:

The state park closure will be extended past May 8. There is no date for opening day-use at any state park. State park camping and day-use reservations have been cancelled from May 8 through and including May 25. Weíll share the status of future reservations before May 25, but more cancellations are likely.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bainbridge island , Washington
Some cautions & suggestions

3,000 miles + in 5 days is too much driving and not safe. The will be higher elevations, snow, ice, high winds, or all than anywhere E of the Mississippi on any route.
I have pulled trailers up to 30' frequently the over 26 years; a lot of mountain passes and wide open spaces year round. Many times mother nature required parking - sometimes overnight. Even changing drivers q 2hrs means around 250-300 safe miles/day (more going E across Kansas as downhill and usually westerly winds which increase gas mileage).
Most favorite trip was a 42 day Feb-Mar adventure from Bainbridge Isl WA down I-5; E to FL panhandle via Phoenix; San Antonio, Gulf coast; return via Big Bend; and back up I-5. Snow on Siskiyous pass outbound; snow and wind requiring overnight on return; we noticed all the parked semi truckers and took their advice.

Gulf States state parks were awesome - large (one had a canoe trail), well kept, and quiet. Large husky state troopers keep them that way.
A visit to Big Bend is a suggestion for anyone. Last gas before park is Marathon NE 60 miles; Terra Lingua W 25 miles. Internet links are few - we called it "0 to 1 dot country."

Best of luck and remember to check re: coronavirus closures. Mililons of acres of BLM Land remains open for dry camping.
rcsoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar View Post
3,000 miles + in 5 days is too much driving and not safe.
. . .
Ditto. Based on an NYC/CA round trip we did in the 90's, with much safer roads and traffic, and no virus lurking, suggest a 10-day minimum time frame. Two weeks better IMO.

Quote:
I think I led all to believe I was time constrained. I can take more than 5 days.
Travel safe, keep breathing, and "arrive alive!" . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
We live in Colorado and Estes Park is pretty vocal about not wanting any visitors. Itís ugly. We are just driving across the state next week for family business and feel unwelcome! Itís sad.
AbbyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
An update on Oregon state park camping from yesterday, April 28th. So, private campgrounds if open in Ashland are probably your only option for the dates you were going to be traveling in May:

The state park closure will be extended past May 8. There is no date for opening day-use at any state park. State park camping and day-use reservations have been cancelled from May 8 through and including May 25. We’ll share the status of future reservations before May 25, but more cancellations are likely.
We have stayed in Central Pointe a couple of times at the Jackson County park next the the fairgrounds. Exit 33 (Flying J). New, nice and centrally located...tho Ashland (exit 14) is the other side of Medford. IMO, and certainly a personal opinion, but not much for private parks on the Ashland side.

https://jacksoncountyor.org/sorvpark

b

p.s. if you cross Nevada on I80, take Hwy 395 N to Susanville then Hwy's 44 & 89 to I-5 at Mt Shasta City. Great drive, well maintained, flows well and generally first to open as a truck route. There is a great rest stop N of Susanville on 89 (Bogard) if the state started opening things up. Get gas in Susanville.
CruizinDux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Reidsville , Georgia
Cross County quick trip

Quote:
Dear Folks,

My wife and I have to make an essential trip across country to visit a family member.

We don't exactly have to rush - plan on leaving around May 18 and taking 5 or so days.

Any ideas on whether we will meet with anger from folks by being out of staters being in their state?

Also - can we expect campground to be generally open?

Planning on going more northern route than southern. Then maybe coming back southern.

Thanks
This sounds like my trip in Summer 2017 from Colorado Springs to Atlanta that was unexpected. My advise is to make sure you know the limits of your Airstream and tow vehicle. Once I pulled out of the AF Academy campground , I only stopped for gas or to sleep. It was a 1400 mile trip in my diesel Airstream towing a Jeep behind, driving/traveling alone. It carries more gas, water, and propane than the trailers and has larger holding tanks. Drove interstate highways all the way and I stayed at Walmart parking lots each night. Avoided truck stops cause they are loud and will block you in sometimes. I tried to drive a tank a gas out before sleeping but only did it once, in an attempt to only stop for gas and sleep. 90gals x 11mpg is 990miles and I could barely make it 700 miles a day. Kept speed at 65mph and closer I got to GA more I needed the AC....made it in 2.5 days but was exhausted.
Good news was I still had plenty of water and holding tanks were not even half full even after taking showers. My generator is propane so used it for a few hours but not all night.
Every Walmart I stayed at, always went in to buy something if nothing more than toilet paper in the RV area.

Good luck with your trip.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #29
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
www.Campgroundreviews.com has up to date info on thousands of campgrounds and a filter so you can sort for parks that have specifically said they were open. (you need to register and login to use the sorting features.

Aside from the grueling travel (too many miles for a 5 day drive imo) you should be able to find places to stay with good planning.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote