Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
Weareroadready

2020 25' International
Freeport , Illinois
Covid Travel restrictions & covid

Hello,

We had a trip planned from Illinois to New Mexico. Our thoughts were to boondock one night & stay at the Gilla New Mexico National Park.

We take the virus extremely seriously, we mask up , social distance etc & ask others (if out on hike /fish/ hunt) to do the same. We do not gather in large crowds either. We have never found ourselves needing to go to a store to get any items we use what we have. We do have to stop of course at times and get gas and we are extremely careful. My questions are :

New Mexico has a rule if you are not a new Mexican resident you must self quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in that state. Or the other option to become exempt from the quarantine is to provide a negative Covid test within the last 72 hours upon arriving. That said has anyone experienced an overload of campers in parks since RV’n has been so popular since the pandemic, and people working from home traveling in their RVs?

My other question :

If someone did get sick with coronavirus how difficult is it to see a doctor or a hospital in that area.

From what I read in many states they have restrictions on hospital visits.

We had arranged to park/ stay at the Cosmos (on the National Park) - the website is updated on Weds . , currently they have “modified operations” on the Alerts to the website.

What to do? I’m so grateful for anyone’s experience, strength & hope.

(Share two cents too ).
My partner is free & clear to visit the state with no restrictions because he has pulled a tag to hunt in the area and that makes him exempt from the 14 day quarantine.

Thanks so much everyone for any input.
Mzimmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
There are a lot of discussions about Cv19 on the board, most of them from early on in the pandemic.

It all comes down to travel at your own risk. We full time, have been across the country since March and plan on making our way back from CA to FL later this year in December/January.

Like you said, wear your mask and protect yourself. Stay distant and limit exposure. It’s all you can do. We feel much safer in the road than we do locked down (personally).

We haven’t experienced any issues at state borders nor have we experienced or even heard of any cop enforcing any lock down orders from the governor. We have been through some of the most locked down areas including Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, and San Francisco.

Be smart (it sounds like you are) when on the road and boondock as much as possible. Travel safe!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that, Big Guy, relating your not-extraordinary experiences in an extraordinary time.

These were my experiences in three trips out on the road totaling about 9 weeks, between June and mid-September.

Safely.

I haven’t read anything about Emergency Rooms turning away out of towners, and that or a Prompt Care is where I would go if I became ill enough to need care on the road.

Maggie
Old 10-19-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Your not supposed to expect a cop executing the governors order at state borders. Your supposed to respect the restrictions states put on travel regardless of the chance of being caught.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I've been through PA, OH, KY, WV, VA, SC, GA, and soon NC.

No issues.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Be careful....your thread could be deleted if it is in any way is perceived political.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
The border between Canada and the United States will remain closed to all non-essential travel until Nov. 21, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said Monday morning, confirming a policy put in place in March to control the spread of COVID-19.

The extension comes as the United States remains one of the worst affected countries in the world and is reporting the second highest number of new cases daily.

Incidental travel — vacations, day trips and cross-border shopping excursions — has been forbidden since March in an effort to limit the spread of COVID-19.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...hp_ref=ca-news
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there is a Covid-19 Discussion Zone, with a Sticky Topic at the top:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f549/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...me-206566.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Covid Travel restrictions & covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzimmer1 View Post
Hello,

We had a trip planned from Illinois to New Mexico. Our thoughts were to boondock one night & stay at the Gilla New Mexico National Park.

We take the virus extremely seriously, we mask up , social distance etc & ask others (if out on hike /fish/ hunt) to do the same. We do not gather in large crowds either. We have never found ourselves needing to go to a store to get any items we use what we have. We do have to stop of course at times and get gas and we are extremely careful. My questions are :

New Mexico has a rule if you are not a new Mexican resident you must self quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in that state. Or the other option to become exempt from the quarantine is to provide a negative Covid test within the last 72 hours upon arriving. That said has anyone experienced an overload of campers in parks since RV’n has been so popular since the pandemic, and people working from home traveling in their RVs?

My other question :

If someone did get sick with coronavirus how difficult is it to see a doctor or a hospital in that area.

From what I read in many states they have restrictions on hospital visits.

We had arranged to park/ stay at the Cosmos (on the National Park) - the website is updated on Weds . , currently they have “modified operations” on the Alerts to the website.

What to do? I’m so grateful for anyone’s experience, strength & hope.

(Share two cents too ).
My partner is free & clear to visit the state with no restrictions because he has pulled a tag to hunt in the area and that makes him exempt from the 14 day quarantine.

Thanks so much everyone for any input.

We been out since June from Phoenix, we travel around southwest Colorado. My wife fell and 911 was called, the EMT’s suited up I had to put a mask on her. Arrived at Hospital she was taken in, I had to wait outside until the test came back that she didn’t have the Wuhan Virus. A few hours later I was allowed in with mask in place. No problem ER’s are just that ER.
We have not had any problems traveling and staying in RV park s
Old 10-20-2020, 04:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
We spent one night in New Mexico (guess two nights really) recently. One on our way to Colorado and one on the way back. The campgrounds were both taking things seriously and from what I could tell so were all the guests. We had no problems there or during our longer stay in Colorado. All-in-all, just practice safe distancing and all the stuff you're already doing and you should be fine. (and for the record, we have been personally affected by Covid with one death in our extended family from it, so we like you, take it very seriously ... and personally.)
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:11 AM   #11
Weareroadready

2020 25' International
Freeport , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
We been out since June from Phoenix, we travel around southwest Colorado. My wife fell and 911 was called, the EMT’s suited up I had to put a mask on her. Arrived at Hospital she was taken in, I had to wait outside until the test came back that she didn’t have the Wuhan Virus. A few hours later I was allowed in with mask in place. No problem ER’s are just that ER.
We have not had any problems traveling and staying in RV park s

Thank you for the reply & wishing a speedy recovery. I appreciate ur comments.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:14 AM   #12
Weareroadready

2020 25' International
Freeport , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
We spent one night in New Mexico (guess two nights really) recently. One on our way to Colorado and one on the way back. The campgrounds were both taking things seriously and from what I could tell so were all the guests. We had no problems there or during our longer stay in Colorado. All-in-all, just practice safe distancing and all the stuff you're already doing and you should be fine. (and for the record, we have been personally affected by Covid with one death in our extended family from it, so we like you, take it very seriously ... and personally.)

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. And I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. I’m grateful for those taking it seriously. Take care of you & yours.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:49 AM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
First off, there is the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument and the Gila National Forest. Not sure which you are referring to. There are some campsites near the National Monument but they are simply small parking areas. There are some boondocking areas along the road leading up toward the Monument area. Some of these sites are tight and can be limited. But I might suggest a small private RV park, Gila Hot Springs RV Park. They have W&E hookups and close to the Cliff Dwellings and the hot springs. If they're open...

Secondly, NM state parks are only open to NM residents and some of the National Forest CG's have already closed for the season. Check carefully ahead of time to make sure you are aware of what is available. We have left NM several times to go to UT & CO because many camping areas in NM were closed.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:00 AM   #14
Weareroadready

2020 25' International
Freeport , Illinois
Thanks so very much for the information mojo I really appreciate it! That’s helped so much, especially the confusion I was having between the parks in NM - the restrictions were different every time I “dug deep “ into the Internet searching. Thanks again - this trip things are so uncertain w covid & limitations we’ll just stayed hunkered down here in Illinois. Thanks again so much! Stay safe & again we’re grateful for you taking time to respond
Old 10-26-2020, 07:21 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
We just returned from three weeks in CO. Masks were required even on the street in most towns.

We're planning two weeks in FL in Jan., a week in the Smokey Mountains starting today, and three weeks in TX in March.

We've decided that this is the safest and most enjoyable way of traveling and we're not going to be housebound. It's a personal choice that everyone has to make on their own.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzimmer1 View Post
Thanks so very much for the information mojo I really appreciate it! That’s helped so much, especially the confusion I was having between the parks in NM - the restrictions were different every time I “dug deep “ into the Internet searching. Thanks again - this trip things are so uncertain w covid & limitations we’ll just stayed hunkered down here in Illinois. Thanks again so much! Stay safe & again we’re grateful for you taking time to respond
If you have never been to Apple River Canyon SP, just north of you, it is beautiful up in there and might be a nice getaway without having to drive too far.

Maggie
Old 10-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
We have been out 8 times since May, each trip 3 to 4 days, 7 in Washington state and the last one in Idaho. WA parks follow all the protocols with masked people at the entrance stations and masked park employees. Where we have stayed there is plenty of space between campsites and people have respected the rules. I feel that getting out to camp has been a very safe alternative to staying locked up at home.

Idaho, on the other hand, is not into masks. We stayed at Hells Gate in Lewiston which is a very nice park. Sites are 45 feet apart with miles of paved bike trails and an abundance of hiking trails too. The people there were very friendly and the sites were very well cared for. They did have plexiglass barriers at the check in station but no one, no one, wore masks. We did, and felt safe none the less. Social distancing was evident in the park office.

On your trip all you have to do is use your best common sense. Take precautions and you will be fine. The fall is a great time to get out. Enjoy your trip.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Thank you all for the information on the Covid camping situation at various locations. Our plan for Lucy's great journey this past summer was to follow the Canadian Border from Montana to Maine. This trip included numerous forays into Canada. As this could not Take place, we are now planning Lucy's Grand Tour of Florida this winter. As the Canadian Snowbirds can not come this year, there should be more availability of campsites in South Florida this winter.

As we are just in the planning stages now, if anyone knows of any problems with this plan, please let us know.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We are staying at home this year. First in a long time.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This news article today lists travel restrictions, or not, in every state.

https://news.yahoo.com/states-withou...144728588.html

Maggie