Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #1

Las vegas , Nevada
COVID-19 Airstream Purchase

I was considering finally purchasing a new 25ft Airstream during this COVID-19 time but wanted to know if it is a good time and whether a large discount could be negotiated? Economically, it is hard to believe that Airstream sales are up, contrary to dealers comments. I went on the lot at a local dealer and, as expected, very little inventory remained; however our dealer is small. There was many Sold signs, but donít know if those were local purchases or transfers. Is this a good time to buy? If anyone has purchased, what deals if any have you received?
Bprilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
They say sales are up, and it's not that hard to believe. All RV sales are up. What better way to travel and stay isolated?

It's a good time to buy when you're ready to make the investment and start enjoying RV travel - assuming that's your cup of tea. You can probably still expect to get a decent discount off MSRP.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:31 PM   #3

Las vegas , Nevada
Thank you, I’ve read that a good discount would be 20% off MSRP, or taking MSRP dividing it by 1.4. I understand it depends on seasonality, inventory levels, another factors, but on average what’s a good discount? What’s a good way you’re going about this?
Bprilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I spend a lot of time riding my mountain bike in the woods. I used to be able to do a 25 mile ride and not run into more than one or two other people on bikes, hiking or riding a horse. Now those same woods are jammed with people that have not been outside to enjoy nature since before the start of this millennium. Many of those same people are going to take up camping this summer and jam the campground full with kids that have no soccer, no little league, no sleepover or day camp, etc. Many of those people are going to buy an RV to do it in. I don't doubt RV manufacturers are producing lots of trailers and dealers are selling them. Maybe next year.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty
If, you want to use your new Airstream anytime in the immediate future you best buy it "today"! We bought our 2nd trailer and then my daughter and son-in-law bought a Globetrotter a week later. Units are going "out the door". Our local dealer didn't have much to choose from and wouldn't barter a sale. So, we went to the next state to a much larger dealership and negotiated an 18 percent discount. And, they delivered it. Wait much longer and you will be out of luck regarding "choices".
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
When we purchased our 2016 in late 2015, I didn't know what constituted a good deal. I just shopped around at several different Airstream dealers and ended up driving up to Colonial in NJ because they had a good reputation and gave me the best price. We got around 23% off MSRP. It was getting late in the year and sales were probably dropping off as people were starting to focus on the holidays.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
And hey, both ends of the financial spectrum are buying. If you can't pay rent, a trailer might LOOK like a cheaper option. In reality, you need hookups, and then it starts getting tough.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I hope the optimists on this thread are right, but I'll sit on the other side of this fence. I have a hard time believing that anyone is buying big ticket items they don't absolutely have to have. Unemployment is still at a frightening historical high, and too many folks are wondering where they are going to get their grocery and rent (or mortgage) money. So, I'm not believing in higher sales without an actual link to genuine retail RV sales statistics. I checked out the RVIA website, which indicated that February 2020 shipments were slightly above February 2019 shipments, but that's a trailing indicator because it doesn't show what's actually selling at retail. It only indicates what was shipped to retailers based on previous orders. Also, many different kinds of manufacturers have "stuffed the channel" in the past to hide dipping sales, so I'm not following "wholesale shipment" numbers with any confidence.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We too had decided to not buy now. BUT the AS bug kept at us and we bought a 2020 28í Twin Flying Cloud. Dealer is a friend for years. Airstream is swamped, he cannot get a new one not already on order until late September. Sale prices are at list or slightly off. Few dealers now in the discount range of 20% off, so I was told. People still want to travel, but donít want to fly or stay in hotels or resorts, might not for a while. My guess is there will be lots of uses RVs for sale in a year to 18 months when people discover it actually takes planning and work. This new one of ours is our 5th Airstream and 14th RV.

Buy now Iíd you can would be my suggestion, good luck and safe travels

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)
2021 F350 6.7 King Ranch
USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Owings , Maryland
I ran across an interview with the ceo (?) of airstream. Must have been on YouTube and within the past 6 weeks. He said the demand is up like 70%. It makes sense for all the reasons posted above. He also mentioned sourcing parts.
Lucyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #11

As I said, I hope that's true. Would love to see a link to something that says as much.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
As I said, I hope that's true. Would love to see a link to something that says as much.
Just dona search on internet. RV sales are up big time.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I think that, in three years or so, you will have a huge number of 2020/2021 mildly used Airstreams hit the market. That $80,000 FC sitting in the driveway so you can use it two weeks a year, coupled with having to own a TV to pull it isnít going to look that great, especially if you have a 20 year loan...

We never had kids but I imagine two weeks in a trailer with a couple might be a mite challenging as well.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think production is down and sales are up. So I do not think it is a good time to get a huge discount because of sluggish sales. Incidentally the same thing seems to apply to sales of trucks that will pull a trailer. My truck needs serious money work and I am going to do it because of what I saw in regards to a new one. You can get the level trucks the lawn services use but the higher trim packages are slim and not discounted much.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Just dona search on internet. RV sales are up big time.
Great. Please do provide a link so I can see what you're talking about. Thus far, I've seen nothing that indicates this is the case. I want this to be true, make no mistake. I just need to see it in writing, so to speak.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Fremont , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Great. Please do provide a link so I can see what you're talking about. Thus far, I've seen nothing that indicates this is the case. I want this to be true, make no mistake. I just need to see it in writing, so to speak.
Includes quotes from Airstream CEO:

https://www.businessinsider.com/rv-s...wn-ends-2020-6

2020 Flying Cloud 26 RBT
2020 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn / 6.4L / 3.73
depot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #17
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Buy an Airstream now!

We've been looking for over a year now for our Airstream - first time buyers, but not new to purchasing & selling vehicles etc.

I can say that the Colorado front range dealers have gone from 80 plus in their inventory to 5-6 over the last 6 months. They aren't getting any new stock until September.

We bought a used model from a private seller and pick her up on the 4th!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #18
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by depot44 View Post
Includes quotes from Airstream CEO:
https://www.businessinsider.com/rv-s...wn-ends-2020-6
The above article says that Airstream sales were down 30% in April and then up 11% in May (versus 2019).

More recently, this RVIA article shows shipments of all RVs down dramatically in April, down some in May, but then up a little in June and up more in July.

My suspicion would be that the current low inventories are as much a result of a temporary COVID-19 production slowdown as of higher sales.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #19

I would not be surprised if it turned out that a big chunk of the downturn was a combination of a simultaneous trough in production and sales. The lack of inventory we've seen in recent months is likely caused by supply chains that continue to be less than ideal, reduced work forces, figuring out how to optimize new covid-safe methods for building these units, and the dramatic uptick in sales that happened once folks decided RV'ing was a great way to have a vacation even if they couldn't jet off to the south of France, or wherever, for their normal summer jaunts.