Old 03-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Canada National Parks Closures Announced

The Federal government announced on March 17th that all visitor services at Canadian national parks and historic sites would be stopped on Wednesday March 18th.

Trudeau's address said in part:

Quote:
Things will get better. As the situation with COVID-19 continues to grow, our government will keep taking action, too. For example, one of the things we’re doing to flatten the curve is as of Wednesday, Parks Canada is suspending visitor services at all national parks and historic sites. What this means for our parks is that pretty much anything with a door will be closed.
The National Park web site has not yet been updated. Check before you go.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/voyage-trave.../covid-19-info
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Smile

jcl, I hope you’ll stay abreast of this topic and update when more is known. Trudeau’s statement implies that the parks themselves will remain open, but that visitor services, including “anything with a door”, will close. That leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Like, what about popular campgrounds. Do entry gates equal doors?

I’m guessing many of us would like to know. I nominate you to keep us informed.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I will be monitoring it.

We travel regularly between Vancouver and Calgary, through several national parks.

As to whether camping will be permitted in national parks, I think that they will shut down all facilities involving staffing, so I anticipate day use only, but I haven't seen that yet.

The federal response is one thing, but provincial and municipal responses are typically more aggressive here, due to the fast changing situation.

An example is the border with the US being open (land crossings open, ports and air restricted) but not all provinces fully in agreement with the federal government, who are the ones who control it. Things could change quickly.

Last week I cancelled a meeting I host monthly for 30+ people in a local community centre. I had feedback from people who thought it was over reacting. By the weekend, things had changed a lot. Yesterday, all community centres were locked down. People are being asked to stay at home apart from essential trips (doctor/food/medications). That was over a period of 5 days.

Provincial parks are likely to be impacted next, but I haven't seen any announcements. I will monitor that as well. The Alberta government declared a state of emergency today, and Ontario has done the same. I am watching BC and Alberta more so than the eastern provinces.

Municipalities near here have moved to essential services only. Schools in BC and Alberta are closed until further notice, and all universities have moved to online only. That means that there may be competition for those camp sites from locals, I suppose.

Stay safe everyone. Not necessarily for yourselves, but for others.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Canada US border being closed to non essential travel.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Canada US border being closed to non essential travel.

And those who do cross are expected to self-isolate for 2 weeks.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Parks Canada has seen continued visits despite their closure of facilities.

Today they announced that they will shut down vehicle access to its already closed parks and sites beginning Wednesday (March 25) due to continued visitation despite COVID-19 warnings.

“This means that all parking lots, vehicle services, trails, washrooms, day use facilities, showers, visitor centres, and all camping facilities, including oTENTiks, yurts and backcountry camping, are closed until further notice,” the agency said.

Highways through National Parks jurisdictions will remain open.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Related to the closure of Canadian National Parks, today BC closed all provincial parks to all visitors.

Also, BC has stepped up Canada/US border controls. Previously, the Canada/US border was closed to non essential trips, those crossing with symptoms were pulled aside, and those crossing with no symptoms were advised to self isolate for 14 days at home.

That stepped up to monitored self isolation, with health officials checking in, some days back.

Some refused to comply.

BC today implemented mandatory quarantine. If you can convince the border agent that you have a plan for self isolation, you can write that plan out, and enter Canada. There will be daily follow ups at your place of isolation. Those without a plan, or unwilling to commit, are facing mandatory 14 day quarantine in government supplied facilities. No opting out.

The Federal government is expected to follow the lead of BC, but weren't ready to announce it today.

In separate news, an RV park near Calgary has been opened early in the season as a quarantine site for returning snowbirds.