Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Canada Border Still closed

UPDATED 2:55 PM PT – Friday, October 16, 2020

Canada will keep its border with the U.S. closed amid the coronavirus pandemic. On Wednesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced he does not feel comfortable opening the border until the virus is more under control in America.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I was just wondering about the status of Canada this morning. Thank you for posting this information.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 10-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, saw that on the news.

Bummer for all the snowbirds who like to spend their winter months in the US, and for all the campgrounds and other merchants who happily take their money.

Maggie
Old 10-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

Bummer for all the snowbirds who like to spend their winter months in the US, and for all the campgrounds and other merchants who happily take their money.

Maggie
Lots of news reports in Greater Vancouver are about how many RV visitors we are seeing from other parts of Canada, given their inability to travel south this winter.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Hum... I was wondering why were able to get a reservation in the Florida Keys in February so easily. I guess that is the only good thing about it though. I am sooo ready for things to return to normal again. I am starting to think it might be 2022. UGH!
Old 10-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Lots of news reports in Greater Vancouver are about how many RV visitors we are seeing from other parts of Canada, given their inability to travel south this winter.
Given how nice it can be in Vancouver in winter relative to the chilly interior, I am not surprised by this. I imagine we'll be seeing more sparsely populated campgrounds that are normally filled to the gills with Canadian snowbirds, though it's possible all the new US-based RV owners will be filling them on weekends. Nevertheless, we and our economy will miss all you Canadians.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That's for Sure. Florida is the winter home for untold thousands of snowbirds from Canada. This has been going on since I was a boy in South Florida in the 1950's. Canada being locked up is going to be an economic hit on Florida and possibly Arizona.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 10-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
Canadians are allowed fly into the U.S. so could go to Florida or AZ. Just cannot drag their trailer. BUT their health insurance will not cover COVID 19 in the U.S.. They have to buy additional policy for Covid. per CBC ONE
Old 10-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Brian your right about Arizona being hit due to the Canadian are not here for the winter. The Mayo Clinic fly’s the Canadian Flag so do a lot of the RV parks. Sad. We were to go to Lake Louis and Banff this past summer. Instead went to southwest Colorado for 16 weeks.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:34 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

Maggie
I guess you need some money for this, but I read recently how Canadians are managing. They fly down to Florida, since that is allowed. Since commercial cross-border traffic is allowed, they hire a transport company to tow the RV across the border and drive it down to Florida. I guess when they return they will have to quarantine.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #11
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Here in Victoria area there apparently are no winter RV spots available anywhere ...you are on a waiting list now if you havent booked....all the snowbirds have booked up to be on the coast this winter as we are usually the best climate in the country during winter. I think its the same with Vacation/short term rentals here too....they are are filling up with snowbirds.
I dont personally think that the border will open for driving until at least the new years ...... most people I talk to here wouldn't even consider driving in the US now even if the borders where open.
Its a sad and crazy world at the moment and hopefully we will all get back to some kind of normalcy some time in the near future ... We personally have a home in Mexico and there is no way we will be going this year. We can fly down if we want ....but as of Friday we have 14 cases of covid on Vancouver Island (almost 900,000people)....no one in intensive care and no one in hospital!......Mexico is a Covid mess.......KCurtis I hope your not rite on 2022 but I think you may be.
Stay Safe everyone !!
Old 10-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
We have a week booked at a little Provincial Park on the water at the end of November. It will be cold but usually about 10 degrees C (~50 F) during the days.

We are able to get out and enjoy the rain in this area.

I think 2022 looks like a reality more and more. It's going to be a tough winter with the COVID and the flu. I am already looking forward to the Spring.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
Old 10-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Here is the news: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...19/3661758001/
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
Old 10-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Trudeau and Trump are worlds apart on the Canada-U.S. border closure
Plan to reopen unclear amid contradictory messages from Ottawa and Washington

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tru...sure-1.5765323

Trudeau said Canada plans to keep the border closed as long as COVID-19 case counts in the U.S. remains high.

"We keep extending the border closures because the United States is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders," he said.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Yes, Trump and Trudeau see it differently, indeed.

Trump says: "We've turned the corner".

Trudeau looks at the 28% increase in new COVID cases nationwide, and must be saying to himself: "Yeah, but you've turned the wrong corner."

Unless there are some serious adjustments in how the U.S. manages this pandemic, I believe it is going to be awhile before Trudeau opens the border.

Cheers,

Bryan
Old 10-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
We on the BC coast do get our freezing weather, ice and snow from time to time. We get frost many nights. Our local golf courses near Parksville even closed for a week due to snow cover last winter (gasp!). I hope the snowbirds who head west have their heated water hose!
Old 10-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
Yes, Trump and Trudeau see it differently, indeed.

Trump says: "We've turned the corner".

Trudeau looks at the 28% increase in new COVID cases nationwide, and must be saying to himself: "Yeah, but you've turned the wrong corner."

Unless there are some serious adjustments in how the U.S. manages this pandemic, I believe it is going to be awhile before Trudeau opens the border.

Cheers,

Bryan
The people in the US are a big part of the issue. Campground this weekend groups of 30-40 people gathering not a single mask, no distancing.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #18
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Funny thing about the border. It doesn't open until the Canadian government agrees, no matter what the US government says. We look forward to seeing Canadians and Canada again, but we expect it to take a year or more for things to settle down once a vaccine becomes available. Until then, who knows?

Old 10-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Maritime provinces are also closed

it's not just the Canada-US border that is closed, the four maritime provinces are closed to travelers from the other provinces as well-- they have created a maritime province "bubble". And we have had regional closures within a province (although currently we are back to non travel "recommendations" in Quebec).
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucos View Post
Here in Victoria area there apparently are no winter RV spots available anywhere ...you are on a waiting list now if you havent booked....all the snowbirds have booked up to be on the coast this winter as we are usually the best climate in the country during winter. I think its the same with Vacation/short term rentals here too....they are are filling up with snowbirds.
I dont personally think that the border will open for driving until at least the new years ...... most people I talk to here wouldn't even consider driving in the US now even if the borders where open.
Its a sad and crazy world at the moment and hopefully we will all get back to some kind of normalcy some time in the near future ... We personally have a home in Mexico and there is no way we will be going this year. We can fly down if we want ....but as of Friday we have 14 cases of covid on Vancouver Island (almost 900,000people)....no one in intensive care and no one in hospital!......Mexico is a Covid mess.......KCurtis I hope your not rite on 2022 but I think you may be.
Stay Safe everyone !!
Just curious what is the Covid protocol in Vancouver where there are such few cases? Is it that Canada closed its borders to anyone entering the country or something else.
Closed Thread