Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Camping AFTER the covid

So the country is starting to open up! Whether you personally agree with this or not, it is indeed taking place. Act according to your convictions, find the best information available and -stay safe-

Post any links to OPEN parks in this thread.

Please, keep politics out of the thread. Also no projections on the safety or dangers of the covid - these will vary depending on the date, state, city and country.

We have existing reservations at Goose Island off the TX gulf coast for Memorial Day weekend.

As luck would have it, TX state parks will open on May 18:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/

The details:

Quote:
  • Overnight camping for folks with existing reservations at most parks will resume on Monday, May 18, 2020.
  • We may need to cancel some reservations to comply with social distancing guidelines.
  • Changes in the health situation could affect this timeline.
  • No new reservations can be made for now. We will notify the public once new reservations can be booked.
Restrictions:
Quote:
  • Masks and face coverings are strongly encouraged in state parks, but not required.
  • Six-foot social distancing is required.
  • No groups larger than five people are allowed, except for families or people living in the same household.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Camping AFTER the covid

My 6 month standing reservation at Rocky Mountain National Park for 5 days across Memorial Day was automatically cancelled yesterday. Seems that RMNP will not be open for a bit longer....

Estes Park, the town just outside of RMNP on the east side is a small community and have no desire to welcome people from all over the world at the moment.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Camping during Covid-19 wind-down period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
. . .
As luck would have it, TX state parks will open on May 18:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/
. . .
FYI a similar heads up for NYS State Parks -- camping is closed through 5/31:

https://parks.ny.gov/camping/

Camping reservations may open up after June 1st -- TBD -- during the continuing wind-down of the Covid-19 virus situation. FWIW there is probably never going to be an "after-Covid" time period . . . ever . . . IMO. [in the interest of factual accuracy]

Happy trails,

Peter

PS -- The "RV Park Closings" thread has recent posts of value IMO:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...gs-206545.html

PS2 -- Allstays contains Covid-19 park closure info, and will presumably be updated as parks open up again:

https://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/
https://www.allstays.com/apps/camprv.htm
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Staying at a private campground in Ft. Pierre, SD May 28 to June 2. They called and verified we were still coming. Wide open spaces, and will be on the river fishing. Lots of sun and fresh air. I grew up there. We called it 40th and Plum. 40 miles from nowhere and plum out in the sticks. Will be staying away from crowds.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:12 PM   #5

2019 30' Classic
2016 Interstate Lounge
Krimpen aan den IJssel , Zuid-Holland
Me and my family decided to stay home a bit more, we think the country is opening up too early, we'll just wait and see. Stay safe everyone.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:28 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
All of you who are posting "my park is closed", please add to the other threads.

Anyone else with information about OPEN parks?
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:23 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Our original Airstream trip plan for this upcoming summer was to tow Lucy up to Cody, Wyoming with a couple of stops in Texas along the way. We will stay for a few days at a friend's ranch outside of Cody. Then we will head over to Sheridan for some Moosing. From there it is up to the Border. We will follow the road closest to the Border eastward all the way to Maine. Then it will be back to Florida somewhere along the East Coast. we plan to be out in Lucy for about 90 days.

We had planned to start this adventure in mid July. We are still hoping that this can come to pass, but we are flexible and can adjust accordingly. As usual, we have no reservations anywhere, so there are no arrangements to consider.

I guess we will just have to see how things go.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Annapolis , Maryland
Our plan was to travel from Maryland to Yosemite after the 4th of July... headed to Great Smokey Mountains and then trying to meet up with Route 66 out to CA. We were thinking we would adjust the timing to June, but Yosemite is still closed as of now. I am guessing we are still in a wait and see mode for May. I anticipate that, if we do this trip, we will stay focused on being very, very self contained in our Airstream. But, if also feels like a long way from home if the situation starts to "go south" with COVID. My heart wants to go and my gut is telling me to stay closer to home this summer. But sadly, it feels like our last big opportunity (4-5 week trip) to do this with our kids since they are getting older and have more desire to stay home. I will stay in tune with this thread to see how things are going as people start to move. Updates will be much appreciated!
ChappysGoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
All of you who are posting "my park is closed", please add to the other threads.

Anyone else with information about OPEN parks?

AZ state parks never closed for camping. Just group activity closed down. Of course the Grand Canyon NP closed. All of the BLM areas were open. Last month we took a drive East of Phoenix in to the BLM and was very surprised at how many RV’s were camping.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Just got a confirmation e-mail that my reservation (next week) @ Cherokee National Forrest - Indian Boundary Campground is alive and well.

Great Campground - Low costs - Reserve America; Electric Service. No Sewer, but the CG has a Dump Station. No on-site Fresh Water, but Fresh Water spigots are located throughout the campground. Decent bath houses on all campsite loops. Nice lake & walking trails.

Good Luck to all with your camping plans. Stay Safe; Stay Healthy
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #11
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Our BC provincial Campgrounds open June 1 which means our reservations for June/July are a go. The campsites here are quite private and well separated so "social Distancing" is easy to maintain. We now have a "No Visitors" policy. Stay Safe as you travel and camp, remember the life you save may be both yours and others...
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Our plan was to travel from CT to Shenandoah, Great Smokies, Nashville, New Orleans, Dallas, Branson, Mamouth Cave, Charlotte, Gettysburg and home. Staying mostly at State and National Parks. Because each State is opening on different dates, some of our reservations were cancelled, while others are still pending. Not wanting to risk the uncertainty, we are going to postpone until a later date.
brundom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
I’m staying home and letting other test the waters, thank you for your sacrifice. ��
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Our original plans included Texas and Colorado SP’s on the way to Loveland. Cancelled everything thru the end of Loveland. Still have and hope to use back end reservations at Angel Fire RV Resort, and Trailer Ranch in Santa Fe, private parks open.

I must admit I am disappointed with my state, Texas, in allowing existing reservations to resume activity, while disallowing new reservations.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Knoxville , Tennessee
Pine mountain RV park in pigeon forge TN, heading there next weekend for anniversary.
mshumer995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #16
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
Our BC provincial Campgrounds open June 1 which means our reservations for June/July are a go. The campsites here are quite private and well separated so "social Distancing" is easy to maintain. We now have a "No Visitors" policy. Stay Safe as you travel and camp, remember the life you save may be both yours and others...
BC Provincial campgrounds are mostly opening, not all of them.

Also, for those thinking of travelling, note that the US Canada border is still closed to non-essential trips, and the guidance for people within BC is to stay close to home.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #17
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Georgia never closed any of the State Parks to RV Camping.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
State parks in GA are open. We just got back from a 2-night "trial trip" to a nearby state park - reservation/payment entirely online through Reserveamerica.com, including check-in on the arrival day. Had to do senior discount on the phone with the campground, no prob., issued refund.

Agent at entrance simply asked if we were checked in, and we went directly to campsite. Camp host came by with paperwork later. Easy. Sites were well-spaced, so never came close to anyone. Water/30-amp at site, plus separate dump station.

We're now planning longer trip at a different park.

We figure we are just as "distanced" in our Airstream as we are at home, so off we go!
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycatcat View Post
State parks in GA are open. We just got back from a 2-night "trial trip" to a nearby state park - reservation/payment entirely online through Reserveamerica.com, including check-in on the arrival day. Had to do senior discount on the phone with the campground, no prob., issued refund.

Agent at entrance simply asked if we were checked in, and we went directly to campsite. Camp host came by with paperwork later. Easy. Sites were well-spaced, so never came close to anyone. Water/30-amp at site, plus separate dump station.

We're now planning longer trip at a different park.

We figure we are just as "distanced" in our Airstream as we are at home, so off we go!

Agreed!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Big Bend is still closed

No date set for Big Bend to open up yet. I guess well go there in the fall now,
That's okay, for just getting to go is the fun.
Wild horses, couldn't keep me away,
Have a good one