Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Another key finding regarding Covid-19

There are so so many stupid people in the US. Way more that I thought and I was always willing to bet very high numbers.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nothing like surviving to gain wisdom from those who don’t.

Just found it in my son’s N-laws... Their 97 year young grandpa lives with 2 of his daughters and kids (adults) and their kids, was admitted and popped positive. The n-laws visit twice weekly. Although 175 miles away, the N-laws came a couple weeks ago to my sons family..

This gets around in a hurry

Old 07-14-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I live in a suburb just south of Miami. The hottest Covid-19 county in the hottest state in the hottest country on earth. Most people (at least at the grocery and hardware store) are fully masked and keeping their distance. Very few ICU beds left here.

Young people one county up and one down, in the bars, on the beach, maskless. Sometimes I wonder...
Dismissive cat
Old 07-14-2020, 06:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I predict this thing (the virus, Reality, Truth, Facts, Science, whatever you want to call it) will continue to increase until all the "submerged Egyptians" (those "deep in de Nile") can no longer deny it. It's an open question as to exactly how much carnage it will take to reach that point.

Then again, I have learned never to underestimate the ability of the stubborn to justify the indefensible, and scapegoat the mostly innocent or ignore the urgent and divert attention to the irrelevant.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sarcastic, Moi? Call it a "Think Piece"

Testing does not matter..... er?
Not having any open ICU beds... does that matter?
Not having enough doctors, nurses, masks, drugs, respirators, etcetera ad nauseam... does that matter?
Feeling "heroic" for asserting your right to go maskless... will you squirm a little when your 8 year old niece who has type 1 diabetes is rushed to the hospital? Will you wish you could be tested to prove you didn't infect her?

How about when your 27 year old buddy "Tiny" (nicknamed as a 335 lb. Defensive tackle in high school) has multiple embolisms and might survive as a vegetable? Will you wish you and 50 good buddies hadn't celebrated July 4th without any precautions?

Or when an 80 year old fart dies... and his grandson is inconsolable? Will you ever think, "Hey, hero... put a mask over your pie hole, wash your hands stand a respectful distance apart!?"

Does it bother you that Covid-19 is mutating? Damn Darwin. Well it might get much milder... or not. It might mutate/evolve into something as bad as bubonic plague or Ebola. (And if Ebola doesn't scare you, ignorance may be bliss... for a very, very short time!)

We did just fine without measles vaccine (except for the kids who got encephalitis, but hey no one you know got it, so?)

Does the air smells better when you don't have chronic cranial-rectal inversion?

You can't spend your whole life living in fear, but doing a 300 yard long wheelie at 100 mph on I-95 in heavy traffic on Saturday night is NOT bravery.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The good news is the average daily deaths continue to drop and hospital bed availability is only tight in some local areas. Hospitalizations remain rare for young and people otherwise in good health with no risk factors and on that basis there is no current indication that anything is spiraling out of control or that covid could become a serious threat to the healthy public. Those with risk factors should remain vigilant.

I would add that viruses are not living organisms and do not follow Darwinian evolutionary processes. They randomly mutate but those mutations don't progressively build new capability, they simply randomly change in ways that make targeting their protein binding receptors challenging. Its unwise for people not trained in viral biology to speculate about mutative pathways.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
. . .
I would add that viruses are not living organisms . . .
. . .

Nor are they completely inert matter like rocks IMO.

Could you please flesh out the statement above? Are viruses more like plants perhaps?

Thanks,
Old 07-15-2020, 05:47 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
"First seen as poisons, then as life-forms, then biological chemicals, viruses today are thought of as being in a gray area between living and nonliving: they cannot replicate on their own but can do so in truly living cells and can also affect the behavior of their hosts profoundly."
Scientific American

Between living and nonliving...much like posters on the interwebspace.🥴

Are we the Earths Virus?

Bob...one of the living dead.👍
🇺🇸

"Worry...a brain exercise done when it really wants to sleep"
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
Old 07-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #9
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
The good news is the average daily deaths continue to drop and hospital bed availability is only tight in some local areas. Hospitalizations remain rare for young and people otherwise in good health with no risk factors and on that basis there is no current indication that anything is spiraling out of control or that covid could become a serious threat to the healthy public. Those with risk factors should remain vigilant.

I would add that viruses are not living organisms and do not follow Darwinian evolutionary processes. They randomly mutate but those mutations don't progressively build new capability, they simply randomly change in ways that make targeting their protein binding receptors challenging. Its unwise for people not trained in viral biology to speculate about mutative pathways.
So, should we listen to Chuck Woolery?
Old 07-15-2020, 06:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

42° 2' 27" N / 74° 7' 6" W , US
I like this seen in digital world, ‘wearing masks is not a political statement, it’s an IQ Test’ . Death toll from virus is one result of this virus, there are many more lifelong health issues to consider.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
The good news is the average daily deaths continue to drop and hospital bed availability is only tight in some local areas.....

I would add that viruses are not living organisms and do not follow Darwinian evolutionary processes. They randomly mutate but those mutations don't progressively build new capability, they simply randomly change...
Random areas... like rural Pasco County FL, which now has over 4000 cases (doubling every 3 to 4 weeks), and I stayed here in Travelers Rest to be "safe"

Not living, but they have RNA (ribonucleic acid) which is found in all living cells along with DNA (dioxoribonucleic acid) and they use our living cells to replicate. Real scientists with real degrees tell us that we humans acquire immunities partly through "random mutations" that incidentally provide resistance to some microbes and viruses. And Covid-19 may become less or more virulent randomly... it is a crapshoot. Tuberculosis was supposed to disappear with the miracle drug penicillin... but it has become resistant. I KNOW, a bacillus. Not a virus. But either one can and does kill, and Covid-19 does kill some people who don't have ANY risk factors.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

42° 2' 27" N / 74° 7' 6" W , US
Another key finding regarding Covid-19

mutating or not, we know this one can and will kill indiscriminately
Old 07-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A lot of folks are getting their Darwin Award posthumously.

Really, is wearing a mask such a burden as compared to dieing alone in an ICU on a respirator?

Our education system has been dumbed down so much that logic has been lost.

My two cents.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Last I looked, pretty much all Darwin Awards are posthumously granted. Mostly for exhibition of total stupidity. The phrase, “hey, y’all watch this!” comes to mind. That’s the ‘last words of the Southern Bubba’ that I learned about when we lived in Alabama.

But, yeah, just keep in mind that half the people in the world are below average intelligence.

The ones that really frost me are the ones that claim the Covid-19 virus is a hoax and mask wearing is a violation of their rights. Last I checked, their rights end where mine begin. I don’t want to share virus particles with others. Nor do I want them to share with me.

Not that I’m paranoid, but I always wear a mask out in public, and when I have to go somewhere there is a lot of exposure, like a hospital or the like, I also wear a full PAPR system to better protect me.

Yeah, I look really weird in a full hood with a power unit hung on my belt, but hey, I’m in a very vulnerable group, and I’d rather not get infected. Note that not one medical professional has laughed at me. They just want to know where I got the gear.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #15
Larry Interstate 11

2011 Interstate Coach
Nashua , NH
I agree. Those that ignore it, deserve it, but they still my infect the rest of us. Mask are good, but not fool proof.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
It’s all fearmongering until you or a loved one croaks

If you don’t like the mask, you’re really not gonna like the ventilator.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
There are so so many stupid people in the US. Way more that I thought and I was always willing to bet very high numbers.
You know there are more intelligent people in the world now then there were 200 years ago. Unfortunately there are a couple billion more idiots to hide them.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthForkAS View Post
If you don’t like the mask, you’re really not gonna like the ventilator.
Wow. That would make a great T-shirt!
Old 07-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #19

1993 29' Excella
COKER , Alabama
I live In the covid party state (Alabama) governor just mandated masks everywhere. #toolittletoolatE
Old 07-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #20
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Now they tell us the labs have been reporting erroneous data. IIRC, the Orlando VA reported a 76% death rate when the actual number was 6%. Horrible bad data and it causes fake news stories.
guskmg

Closed Thread