Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Myrtle Point , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2PMtravels View Post
My 2cents is I think this will eventually 2/3 years help the values of Airstreams go up even more ... why you say ? Simple , tons more people Camping now 400% more RVs on road so now your gonna see All these Quality control issues with how other campers are thrown together like a cracker box and naturally just like we did start weighing the options and looking for best quality campers which led us to Airstream. Sure you’ll have a few guys complaining here in there but it’s no comparison . 350+ man hours to build a Airstream vs 30-80 hrs to build most others ... I’ll take the AS . [emoji631]
Not to mention how long it will take to get an appointment for repairs.
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:02 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Myrtle Point , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctimberlake View Post
Bay Area Airstream had less than 10 available when they told me they normally have around 100. my concern would be the lack of camping spaces available with more and more RVs on the road
We have seen the problem of campsite availability here in Oregon. What frustration: buy a $100K trailer and have no where to go.

Boondocking will be the "New Normal"
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #63
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
I was at Chicago Airstream yesterday. I wanted to see and go inside their 2020 Globetrotter 23 Twin they had listed for $89,995. It has been there at least two weeks. After looking at it's condition (needed cleaning) it's going to be there awhile.

They had maybe five used trailers on the lot for sale. Looks like a 25', 27' and a 30'. One was smashed in the right front top. Not much inside on the floor. Lots of dead space. But, they are recoating the lot next week so some inventory may have been moved.

The best part of the trip was Portillo's lemon cake we took home.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:09 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
Well we have been unable to find anywhere to go away because of all the new campers being sold. Not enough spaces for them all in this country now. Been trying for a month now, if this is the new now we are selling ours. The 2018 and 2019 years were bad enough when only getting two spots each year but now camping away will be an impossibility and we are retired.

Where are you trying to go? We have not had difficulty finding places within 200 miles of home in Connecticut.
Carl n Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Ever try to get a spot in an Oregon State Park after January? Or a National Park just after the window to reserve opens? Even our "secret" city park along the Columbia River got found out this year and was booked solid all summer, and Thursday through Sunday all the way through till the end of October......
Just some thoughts as to where they live and might be trying to go....
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We searched at many dealers around the country and found our 2020 International at Airstream of Chicago. All the dealers within 500 miles of us were sold out. We are taking a 10 day shakedown cruise home to Colorado in a few weeks. So far, we have been able to reserve campgrounds without too much trouble.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Salisbury , Arizona
Just a update on all Airstreams sold out . I was recently at Airstream of Greensboro getting some warranty work done and was told by a salesman when I asked how are there sales going on Airstreams . He told me that they have over 150+ Airstreams all on order and Every single one is SOLD , and those won’t start coming in till after October from what I understood !!! Crazy Times the world of Camping has changed forever !
AM2PMtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2PMtravels View Post
Crazy Times the world of Camping has changed forever !
Yup...until the newbie to RVing folks that bought these realize:

Families that bought thinking of isolated vacations are mostly SOL until spring break 2022 since backlogs are everywhere and Oct is a bad time unless you are an empty nester to pickup an RV for safer family RV vacations. This does not even take into account folks that put down a deposit, thought they were kidding about October and pull out of the deal come the time when the kiddos go back into school rather than tie up tens of thousands of dollars to have it sit there for 6-7 months.

Folks who went in blindly thinking the cool and safe factor....well, yea, cool for sure, safe too, except that most of the population in the US will have been vaccinated and those fly and hotel types, most that took the RV U-turn, may go back to their old ways (not all).

Folks will realize that RVing is not a simple hitch up (or load up) and go....tanks need to be sanitized, filled, emptied, winterized, washed, waxed, maintained, packed, unpacked, cleaned, LP filled, wheel bearing packing, and the big one...STORAGE to name just a few aspects that are necc, other than enjoyment.

I myself prefer RVing, have for gosh, 30+ years. Like many of us here, we've been there and done that, but for the rookies getting into it due to the pandemic, I think for a good number (read not all), it's going to be a sobering experience that may have some rethink the RV experience.

My guess is 2022 or 2023 is gonna be a buyers market with a ton of short lived ownership units on dealer lots. No question RVing will pick up a good number of folks as a result of this that normally we would not have seen, but I also feel a significant number is going to bail at some point before or shortly after ownership once a few of the realities set in.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Salisbury , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post

Families that bought thinking of isolated vacations are mostly SOL until spring break 2022 since backlogs are everywhere and Oct is a bad time unless you are an empty nester to pickup an RV for safer family RV vacations. This does not even take into account folks that put down a deposit, thought they were kidding about October and pull out of the deal come the time when the kiddos go back into school rather than tie up tens of thousands of dollars to have it sit there for 6-7 months.

Folks who went in blindly thinking the cool and safe factor....well, yea, cool for sure, safe too, except that most of the population in the US will have been vaccinated and those fly and hotel types, most that took the RV U-turn, may go back to their old ways (not all).

Folks will realize that RVing is not a simple hitch up (or load up) and go....tanks need to be sanitized, filled, emptied, winterized, washed, waxed, maintained, packed, unpacked, cleaned, LP filled, wheel bearing packing, and the big one...STORAGE to name just a few aspects that are necc, other than enjoyment.

I myself prefer RVing, have for gosh, 30+ years. Like many of us here, we've been there and done that, but for the rookies getting into it due to the pandemic, I think for a good number (read not all), it's going to be a sobering experience that may have some rethink the RV experience.

My guess is 2022 or 2023 is gonna be a buyers market with a ton of short lived ownership units on dealer lots. No question RVing will pick up a good number of folks as a result of this that normally we would not have seen, but I also feel a significant number is going to bail at some point before or shortly after ownership once a few of the realities set in.

Yea I can agree with you there , people who thought I was crazy years ago for getting into RVing I’ve heard many of those same people rethinking what it’s all about . For me and my wife it started off by just making better memories with the kids , now it’s a lifelong adventure for us and I’d be willing to bet my kids will do the same seeing how much they’ve enjoyed it over the years . Memories last forever...
Old 04-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Another thought — a family RV vacation is great for everyone but the adults. Somebody is still cooking, cleaning, making beds, food shopping, dish washing not too mention tank dumping, water filling, hitching, tire pressure checking, fueling etc.

That Disney cruise is gonna start looking pretty good about day ten...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:48 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
The middle of the baby boomer generation turns 65 this year. Lots of demand from those with money. I’d hesitate to predict a glut in two years. Timing the market is a fool’s errand.

Supply issues are affecting deliveries. I wanted 16” Sendel wheels but can’t get them until...well...they won’t even give an estimate of delivery date. So I put new American made tires on the 15s when I installed the lift kit.

As for who has money, lots of folks weren’t impacted. Sure, if you wait tables you had to switch to DoorDash and are probably making more money.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Agree with the comments about the current COVID RV boom being short lived to some degree for all of the reasons mentioned. However I’m not so sure that this is what is driving the record Airstream sales. Most young to middle age working families with young kids are not buying Airstreams. They are buying less expensive brands. I mean, they can get a more practical camper for a lot less money that is better suited for families with children. Maybe it is the boomers that are revising their retirement plans. We are middle age empty nesters. We wanted to get back onto camping after a many year break. We camped when our kids were young with other trailers. We wanted the Airstream lifestyle and all it has to offer and are blessed enough to be able to afford it. COVID had nothing to do with our decision
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #73
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ventura , California
Memaloose almost always has non- hookup spots, plus they have overflow that hardly anyone uses. You can always head out to Biggs and boondock on the sandbar below the dam.
mkveseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post

I agree, especially with your last paragraph.Thats a given.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:03 PM   #75
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Ordered my FC 25 FBQ late January. Got the keys yesterday.
Bartek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
On my way back from our trip Feb 25th, we randomly stopped in at Airstream of Oklahoma. They had inventory available. They actually had the 2021 FC 30 FBB in stock which we purchased. Did we just get lucky?
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Salisbury , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
On my way back from our trip Feb 25th, we randomly stopped in at Airstream of Oklahoma. They had inventory available. They actually had the 2021 FC 30 FBB in stock which we purchased. Did we just get lucky?

I’d say you got some luck there [emoji16][emoji106]and congratulations !!!
Old 06-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
We traveled nearly 4000 miles this summer and saw a handful, a total of 12, Airstream travelers in RV parks and on the road to their next stopover. Where are they if there are so many sold and on the road? Also, we were in our MN Airstream dealer just a few days ago and saw 18 owned units parked for some period of summer storage - not being used. Did not see a single new unit for sale. RV parks were busy but not full between MN and ID. Enjoy the life everyone!
Old 06-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
I forgot to mention that we asked about a new GT 30 and were told not until April 1st 2022 and we needed to order very soon, in the next week or so at most, for that delivery date - 9 months! Also, 10% down and they would 'look' after our money until then. We use to pull in the lot and look at the models now we just look online - brave new world.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #80
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Even with Airstreams selling like crazy, they are a tiny percentage of the RV market. You will never see a lot of them, unless it's at a rally or an Airstream only park.

If you roll past Colonial in New Jersey, the lot isn't empty. They appear to have RV's they will sell you.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote