Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #21
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
While I cannot sew masks I own a machine shop, with skilled machinists and CNC machining centers, that is making parts for the company (as shown below) which manufactures machines that produce medical supplies. Our orders have doubled and the company is working 24/7 to produce more machines to make more of these desperately needed supplies.

There are some videos of these machines in action at the company's website address below.

While PA has closed all non-life sustaining businesses we got a waiver from the Governor to keep our company running.

Makes me feel good that we can help!

https://www.elsnereng.com/medical-no...sposables.html
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Cool video. Good luck finding those particular filters on Amazon. I looked and saw absolutely nothing. ......

I believe any HEPA bag will do - I made 2 out of one of my smaller bags that I had on hand for my very old HEPA vac. There are a bunch on Amazon in the price range of about $1.50 - $2.00 per bag (my bags were about $1.50 each when I ordered them several months ago, not from Amazon). Also found some on Sears web site.

They're very simple and quick to make, so thought they might be an option.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #23
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Cool video. Good luck finding those particular filters on Amazon. I looked and saw absolutely nothing.

On topic, I absolutely love that Airstream is re-purposing their skilled sewing teams and having them contribute to this effort.
Amazon has several HEPA vacuum bags available. We had a bunch at the house and my wife has been making masks out of them.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The PBS Newshour closed tonight with a segment on the “small army of citizens” in this country who are making fabric masks, and how grateful our frontline healthcare workers are.

Nice.

Maggie
Old 04-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
My wife reached out to a local nursing home. The home director is our neighbor down the street. She has masks, shields, and gowns on order forever with not one shipment yet.

My wife asked her how many shields she needs and she said 30. She is making them now.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:37 AM   #26
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
You can also find MERV 13 filter material in the furnace filters available at the large box stores. That filter material can be repurposed to be used in the homemade masks. Just FYI.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:59 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
First off, I completely applaud everyone's effort on this forum and elsewhere to try to help in a bad situation, but this is scary. For years we've been told that anyone against unrestricted globalism, anyone against offshoring all our "dirty" manufacturing jobs, like the mills and apparel factories here in New England, to the lowest priced bidder on the other side of the world is a backward thinking ignorant isolationist who the world has passed by on it's march of progress.

Now we can't even mass produce our own dust masks? We don't have the capacity in the country to make a filter and put a couple rubber bands on it anymore?

Just imagine if we need to produce the circuit boards that go in the ventilators. Anyone care to guess where all the circuit board making machines are or the machines that make the parts that go on the circuit boards?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #28
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Everyone, thank you for your contribution to providing others with seriously needed resources.

New direction on face mask use makes this even more important as more folks will use a mask. Not a best case solution, but very good practice. It will make us all safer.

It is comforting to see tech companies work to renovate out of service ventilators and develop alternatives like the device to operate a breathing bag with a motorized cam and especially the oxygen helmet. Really exciting to see the 3D printing capabilities jump into operation.

Thank you Airstream for your contribution. Any chance all those vintage coaches could be quickly repurposed and spotted for healthcare worker shelter off shift. Yes, pumpout and electric/water grid required, but you have that for the rallies, right. Maybe just not possible to pull off, but all the innovative ideas will pull us through this.

Probably the most important thing that we all can do is stay home and practice social distancing. Home camping is golden! And for all caught away from friends and family, thank you for isolating where you are and not traveling.

Hope to meet you all down the road with a smile, after. . Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
Keep in mind that your gloves are no different than your hands. They get dirty in the same way.
AbbyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Macomb , Illinois
Thank each of you making masks! My independent bookstore is closed so we are working on grants and loans and encouraging other small businesses. After frustrating days, going home to the farm to work on the Airstream and antique motorcycles are our blessings. We have friends who are making masks and face shields. We are cheerleaders and support those doing the work.
DntheRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Woodland , California
Great way to pitch in and help. My wife is also sewing masks. If you want to do this, reach out and find a destination for what you are making first and see if you can get help to locate necessary materials.
flyfshrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
BIAS TAPE
How to make it at home in bulk quantities. (Ignore this if you have alternative ties for masks) Dear heaven what I'd give to be in Hudson Ohio at the big Jo-Ann Fabric warehouse.)

Start with a square piece of woven cotton fabric. If your fabric is 36" wide, use that length too, ditto for 45"

Cut it into 2 pieces ON the bias... top left to bottom right. Make that cut very straight, no waves.

Sew the top and bottom (non-bias) cuts right side together, straight across with a narrow seam 1/4" or less.

Leave the right sides together and carefully pin the two bias cuts together but OFFSET the two sides by 1 inch to create 1/4' bias tape, or 2 inches for 1/2 inch tape.

The result will be a cylinder with bias edges. You simply cut the whole cylinder by spiraling down it 1 inch (or 2 for wide tape) at a time. Be careful to avoid letting the bias fabric stretch.

Now for the fun part (well more than changing acrappy diaper). Commercial bias tape is double folded and ironed ready to sew on. How many steam burns do you want on your hands? You can carefully iron under and iron the side seams and settle for pinching in the center seam OR

1) Sew one side to the back of the mask, right side down 1/4 from the edge, flip the mask over, hand fold 1/4 under and top stitch the front to the mask and leaving 12" or so for ties on each end.
2) If you are experienced and have a "bias binding".presser foot and your fabric is stiff, you can carefully load it into the funnel on the foot and top stitch both sides on at once. I would go ugly and sew it on with a zigzag stitch at slow speed. Practice with scraps before trying.
Reading the manual first doesn't hurt either.

Experiment

You may want to try using a serger to make them too.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Winchester , Virginia
Thank you for all your wonderful sewing efforts. I have made about 90 masks with ear loops- as that's the style requested. They went to our local Sheriff's Dept, my grandson's daycare and the ER Dept at the local hospital. Once I get my elastic order from Etsy I'm off and running again. It's wonderful therapy
Take care. Stay well.
Margi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
My wife has enlisted me to help make the shields. We've made over 130 so far. Some went to a nursing home and the others went to two hospitals. All three locations have UV sterilization equipment to sterilize them.

It is important that if you are contributing to making masks and shields or if you are accepting masks or shields that they have to get sterilized before use. You don't want to contribute to the problem.

If you have been quarantined for two weeks and are virus-free, we found out that that is not good enough for a hospital. They sterilize anyway.

I'm not in healthcare. I wear scrubs to bed!!! Great traveling PJ's and easy to wash and dry.

Look at Maddie! She's wondering what I'm wearing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_-_Google_Photos-4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	484.5 KB
ID:	365234  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maddie has such a cute, confused expression...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
This is what I love about our Airstream community. We can't sew but we are contributing to our local food pantry.
ChuckZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Macomb , Illinois
Our wonderful Airstream Community keep up the great work!
DntheRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Something else people can do is contact their local Red Cross and donate blood, as the need to shut down blood drives has caused a severe shortage.

Maggiw