Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2023, 10:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angles , California
What model did the 16RB Caravel used to be?

Can someone help me understand what the 16RB lineup looked like before the 2020 Bambi/Caravel 16RB models stepped in? It looks like the "Sport" used to be a trim I guess? But it also just looks like a base model Bambi to me. And what did the Caravel 16RB used to be? Did that trailer even exist before in the 16' length?

I tried finding this information on Airstream's website but couldn't. And the list of trailer models on Airforums doesn't really illustrate how an older trailer might have evolved into a newer model with a different name.

Any of you Airstream historians know what the 16' lineup looked like before the latest Bambi/Caravel duo was announced?
NoBanjoBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
You are correct that the current 16’ Bambi was previously called Sport. The immediate predecessor to the 16’ Caravel (with the upgraded trim and double panoramic windows) was produced from 2004 until 2012 and was called the International. I own one of these.

In terms of differences between the Caravel and the earlier International, i think most would agree that the ducted air conditioning in the Caravel is a significant improvement; For those who whose style is to camp unplugged, the electric only fridge is a significant disadvantage compared to the propane fridges in the International.

For all size trailers the way to mitigate the high electric demand of electric only fridges is to buck up and install lots of lithium batteries and solar. However, the 16’ is so small that it doesn’t have enough rooftop space to install enough solar panels to really get the job done. That fact, combined with periods of unfavorable solar conditions, means unplugged campers are looking at generators and all of their hassles.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Prior to the introduction of the the current Bambi models, the term Bambi used to mean 'a single-axle Airstream'. The 'base' model single axle airstream was the Sport, and then the 'upgraded' versions were part of the Flying Cloud line... ie, my AS is a 20FB Flying Cloud. Airstream decided to drop the Sport name, use the name Bambi for the 'base' model, then started reusing the old Caravel name instead of calling them Flying Clouds. (And if you go back far enough, early/mid 2000's, they called them Safari instead of Flying Cloud.)
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
What model did the 16RB Caravel used to be?

Bambi refers to an Airstream with a single axel. Check out Airstreams line of travel trailer designations, itís there. The Caravel, is more of a trim level.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
1967 Caravel

This is a Caravel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6936.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	429302  
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
You are correct that the current 16í Bambi was previously called Sport. The immediate predecessor to the 16í Caravel (with the upgraded trim and double panoramic windows) was produced from 2004 until 2012 and was called the International. I own one of these.

In terms of differences between the Caravel and the earlier International, i think most would agree that the ducted air conditioning in the Caravel is a significant improvement; For those who whose style is to camp unplugged, the electric only fridge is a significant disadvantage compared to the propane fridges in the International.

For all size trailers the way to mitigate the high electric demand of electric only fridges is to buck up and install lots of lithium batteries and solar. However, the 16í is so small that it doesnít have enough rooftop space to install enough solar panels to really get the job done. That fact, combined with periods of unfavorable solar conditions, means unplugged campers are looking at generators and all of their hassles.
Or get a Powerboost.
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Our sport 16 was constructed with the same windows as the original Safari series…. Steel frames with tiny window openings. The sport did have the all aluminum interior finish
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel