Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 2020 And Newer Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Weboost and Caravel Cable/Satellite Port

Has anyone installed a Weboost cell signal booster using the Cable/Satellite port on your Caravel to connect the external antenna? I'd like to avoid having to punch a hole in the trailer and screw around with internal cable routing if I can repurpose this port and cable for the antenna.

Thanks!
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
I’ve done it. With the right adapters from Amazon, it seemed straightforward.
The problem is, it didn’t always result in a strong signal. Weboost doesn’t provide an indication of signal boost, so you don’t know if the signal is so weak that it’s a lost cause, or or are getting by on the ambient signal.
Another poster indicated it didn’t work for him, but he didn’t know why not.
Recently I have just run their cable through the bug fuzz on the dinette window.
The last time I organized my storage, I noticed a loose connector on their cable.
It’s all not quite the game changer I had hoped for, so I only attempt using the Weboost when I can’t get the cell data to work at all.
Bottom line: minimize the complications if you can. If you want to be elegant, get a signal meter to verify results.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:31 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
I’ve done it. With the right adapters from Amazon, it seemed straightforward.
The problem is, it didn’t always result in a strong signal. Weboost doesn’t provide an indication of signal boost, so you don’t know if the signal is so weak that it’s a lost cause, or or are getting by on the ambient signal.
Another poster indicated it didn’t work for him, but he didn’t know why not.
Recently I have just run their cable through the bug fuzz on the dinette window.
The last time I organized my storage, I noticed a loose connector on their cable.
It’s all not quite the game changer I had hoped for, so I only attempt using the Weboost when I can’t get the cell data to work at all.
Bottom line: minimize the complications if you can. If you want to be elegant, get a signal meter to verify results.
I was also realizing that with the combined Satellite/Cable/Antenna wiring in the Caravel, it would likely not be possible to use the Weboost external antenna and the HDTV antenna simultaneously.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #4
Delaware ZMan

2016 22' Sport
Lewes , Delaware
I added my connector this way, and installed the amplifier under the closet in my 22fb. It’s a little tight to twist the connector when hooking up, but very effective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF6D0A92-38A1-4F25-BEC3-5329CE76AB6D.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	415957  
patzele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Check this out:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...rv-232781.html
Old 05-14-2022, 06:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by patzele View Post
I added my connector this way, and installed the amplifier under the closet in my 22fb. It’s a little tight to twist the connector when hooking up, but very effective.
Yeah, I was thinking that re-using the cable connector would cause interference between the cell boost and the HDTV antenna if trying to use both.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:05 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Thanks. Unfortunately, the Caravel doesn't have separate SAT and Cable ports, and the HDTV antenna multiplexes on the same cable, so it seems that I'll need to run a new cable if I want to implement this.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:55 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
SANTA MARIA , California
We recently went with the STARLINK sat dish that's super easy to install for even newbies. It does not provide better cell service but does provide excellent WiFi if you have a clear view of the sky. In areas where the campsite had zero cell service and zero WiFi (as most do) this option worked amazingly.
Central Coast of California
Calvary Chapel of Santa Maria
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 01:05 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorwug View Post
We recently went with the STARLINK sat dish that's super easy to install for even newbies. It does not provide better cell service but does provide excellent WiFi if you have a clear view of the sky. In areas where the campsite had zero cell service and zero WiFi (as most do) this option worked amazingly.
Out of curiosity, did you turn on "Wifi Calling" on your phones? If so, you may be able to receive and make cell phone calls over Starlink.

Unfortunately most of the places I'll be going will be tree covered, so Starlink is probably not an ideal option for me.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
SANTA MARIA , California
Starlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBullotta View Post
Out of curiosity, did you turn on "Wifi Calling" on your phones? If so, you may be able to receive and make cell phone calls over Starlink.

Unfortunately most of the places I'll be going will be tree covered, so Starlink is probably not an ideal option for me.

Yes, we have, and it works pretty flawlessly.
Open sky is really a must if possible though, but it's always worth a try wherever you camp. I've been recently surprised by how many campers are using Starlink.
Central Coast of California
Calvary Chapel of Santa Maria
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:46 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I have installed a WeBoost destination RV connected through the external satellite port on my 2021 Caravel 22FB.

The pre installed satellite cable terminates by the stereo and blue ray player and is clearly marked. Simply screw that cable in to the input side of the WeBoost amplifier and your all set.

There were no adapters required for me to connect my external WeBoost antenna to the external caravel satellite port.

Both systems are 75 ohm.

Works great and easy installation.
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWilma View Post
I have installed a WeBoost destination RV connected through the external satellite port on my 2021 Caravel 22FB.

The pre installed satellite cable terminates by the stereo and blue ray player and is clearly marked. Simply screw that cable in to the input side of the WeBoost amplifier and your all set.

There were no adapters required for me to connect my external WeBoost antenna to the external caravel satellite port.

Both systems are 75 ohm.

This works, assuming you do not need/use your satellite for TV...many do. So running a separate 75 ohm cable recommended...I am going to remove the outside connecting junction (SAT/CBL) port, disconnect the Cable line, and run a separate line under my stove/sink area and under my L seat, next to the water heater tank on the L-couch; then run it up the back of the couch to the front deck behind the couch. AC receptacle right there next to the window. Will report once complete...next day or so.

Still looking for best directional antenna pole location; Fiama in rear or A frame up front...suggestions with pictures appreciated.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:26 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Quote:

Both systems are 75 ohm.

I have a WeBoost I was using in my previous RV. I figured I could use the satellite port and am happy to see that it will work. Can you tell me how and where you installed the omni directional antenna? Thanks.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:18 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I installed the external antenna on the telescopic 25’ pole that I clamp to the A frame jack when parked.

The internal antenna I keep in the AV storage locker by the amplifier for travel. When in use I pull it out of the locker and collect to the ceiling of the airstream with a magnet. The magnet is glued to the back of the antenna and a small metal disk is glued to the ceiling. It’s a cell phone mount re-purposed :

[ 2 Pack ] Magnetic Phone Mount,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PRBJTFT...p_mob_ap_share
Old 10-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Quote:
I installed the external antenna on the telescopic 25’ pole that I clamp to the A frame jack when parked.

The internal antenna I keep in the AV storage locker by the amplifier for travel. When in use I pull it out of the locker and collect to the ceiling of the airstream with a magnet. The magnet is glued to the back of the antenna and a small metal disk is glued to the ceiling. It’s a cell phone mount re-purposed :
Have you tried simply leaving the internal antenna in the AV locker? I suspect it would perform more than adequately there. Just curious.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:49 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBullotta View Post
Have you tried simply leaving the internal antenna in the AV locker? I suspect it would perform more than adequately there. Just curious.

I have and signal strength is definitely impacted, but can be good enough. One other reason I have for pulling it out of the locker is to ensure I get enough separation between the external and internal antennas to prevent feedback. I only have a 22’ trailer so the geometry is a challenge!

Tags
caravel