Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 06:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Water from shower drain question

Anyone had an issue with water coming up from the shower drain while under way ? Not a lot, had plug in initially but doesn't seem to stay. Gray water tank had been drained.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
our shower head will drip water while under way, we just put it in a small bucket to catch any water is loses plus we don't want it to fall off it's holder and possibly damage the fiberglass, so two birds with one stone. If you're getting water thru the drain and your grey tank is empty, that would be a mystery to me, maybe someone else can answer that.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
OK, now you have me wondering if that's where it's coming from.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
If the grey water tank has been drained, then it is not coming from there.

Assuming you are not driving in the rain and it is not coming in through the shower vent, I am guessing that it is coming from the showerhead, there is always a bit of water left there.

I am also assuming that your water pump is shut off before getting underway.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Wasn't raining, vent closed. Water pump off.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Does it appear to be fresh water or grey water?
Up through the drain, one would assume to be grey water, and the only time I've seen that was when the tank was overfull.
But, look in your manual and it should have a diagram of the grey water plumbing. See if it's feasible some splashed back into the shower pan?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
How volume , then it may be deceiving , any water that appears drains down the drain , so just wet area ?
How many bumps you traveled over , rocking etc. --- water from the trap can slosh out ?
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Appears to be fresh, roads were not extremely bumpy nor was the trip very long.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #9
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Push the button on the shower head to shut the shower head off while underway.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Waynesville , Missouri
Residual water pressure?

I might have had a similar issue. If your fresh water system is pressurized when you depart a site, the continuous 4.3 earthquake we subject our campers to while traveling may wiggle a faucet valve loose and then depressurize the line. My shower and kitchen sink are notorious for this trick. Try depressurizing before your grey water dump and see if it happens again. Oh, yes, certainly put the plug into the shower drain. If you get water and the plug is installed, problem identified!
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Salkuda372, FWIW, for our 20 I called JC and they emailed me pdf's of the electrical and plumbing schematics. Good to have.

I'm having trouble with water from an empty tank working it's way upstream to the pan.

First I would open the grey water (smaller ABS piping & handle, on the left looking at the two handles), then turn on the shower and leave the head in the pan just to make sure it is running freely. Turn off the shower and the exhale should run to a trickle immediately. To me it makes sense to make sure there are no obstructions or incorrect connections, or at least none that would stop the flow for a complete drain.

Personally I would do the same for the Black water...just in case. Stranger plumbing connections do occur.

So personal experience. I got tired of the Moen not giving me a complete non drip ride after a shower. We use the shower for some ballast items (dog food, adult beverages and tool bag) and they need to stay dry.

While OTR long ago, I stopped at ACE but even the inline shutoff wasn't guaranteed to be drip free (and I always used to remove the head and blow/shake the excess out of it). I finally stopped at the next ACE and bout a washer to fit the female hose end and a 1/2" NPT male cap.

When we're OTR, we take a shower, I disc the head and leave it to drain. I then manually blow thru/shake the head to make sure it's empty, then hang it on it's normal hook. Then I put the washer & male plug in the female end of the hose and hand tighten it. Haven't had any water in the pan since.

I will say that I also started to use a plug to fit the pan drain just in case, but have forgotten a few times. No water up the drain w/o the plug and I suspect not in the future if I stopped using the plug.

happy trails
Old 09-07-2021, 01:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
Anyone had an issue with water coming up from the shower drain while under way ? Not a lot, had plug in initially but doesn't seem to stay. Gray water tank had been drained.
In my trailer, and the prior Airstream trailers I have owned, there is a trap just beneath the shower that holds water to keep odor from coming up from the tank. That water will splash up onto the shower floor if I forget to install the drain plug.

I lay the shower head on the shower floor while underway. I've had the shower head bounce loose while traveling. That has to bang against something pretty hard.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:39 PM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
For you problem to occur without any system failures the following must take place:
1. Your shower mixer valve is open, but the head is turned off (the design allows some flow even when off) and the head is laying on the shower floor or is positioned below the following:
2. You have left a water valve open, maybe to relieve system pressure while under way. The would allow water to syphon to the lowest opening. The same sequence occurs when you disconnect your hose from the city water source and you trailer. The water will syphon and drain out the lower end. That is also why you have to be careful with sewer hoses. Don't ask how I know.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Word of caution ⚠️ to those that carry heavy items in the shower you might crack your pan.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Appreciate the replies, have some more things to try now.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I appreciate the heads up. I figure if the load is less than my weight (which it is by > than half) and is spread out more evenly than my two feet, I should be fine.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Interstate
Olympia , WA
I’ve had grey/black water cone up after I drained the system. I know because the water was purple and I had just flushed several cups of hot water with a sachet of purple tank deodorizer. The drain plug doesn’t seem to twist in completely tight. The smell is unbearable, even with out having a full waste tank. I’ve stopped using the toilet completely and I’m considering catching all my grey water rather than allow my tank to become wet and outgas the sewage smell from a n 18-year-old poop graveyard.
Free Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
Wondering if you had any luck sorting out the problem?
In my prior post I mentioned the trap beneath the shower allowing water to splash water upward.

I looked at the schematic drawing of your trailer's gray water system. That shower trap is the only source for water to come upward from the drain after the tank has drained.

You can view that schematic on page IV-17 in the 2021 parts book for your trailer. ->
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...Parts-Book.pdf

Hope this helps
Old 09-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Haven't moved it since.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
valley stream , New York
Had a similar problem in my 2021 Caravelle at the RV site left my gray water and black water open I didn’t know you’re not supposed to do that but the water wasn’t draining from my shower once I close them it was fine not to mention the bugs that sneaking if you leave them open open
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote