Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 2020 And Newer Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Flying Cloud
Wapakoneta , Ohio
Trying to understand the capacity of my fresh water tank

2020 Caravel 19CB. The manual says I have a 27 gallon fresh water tank. I had recently drained it by using the white plastic petcock on the side until nothing else came out. I then refilled it and my flow-meter said I put in 20 gallons before it started to overflow.

So now I'm confused as to what size it may really be (side note: the 2021 models appear to be 23 gallons). Even after being full the indicator inside only shows 94%.

Did I not completely get the tank empty? I tried opening some faucets to maybe burp the system but it would overflow again not long after turning the water back on.

Any thoughts? Our water pump seems to get some air into the system and gets a little loud when putting out water when the meter reads 13% inside so I want to ensure I'm taking as much water on board as I can.
jagpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
You may not have completely emptied the tank. My owner's booklet says to run the hitch jack all the way down and all the way up to completely empty the black/grey sewer lines. When I was emptying tanks last week, I found that quite a bit of water also came out of the FW valve when I did this. Also, I am not sure the indicators are all that accurate - I would consider them more of a "reasonably good indicator". After emptying my tanks, it was still showing 7% in the black water tank while nothing was coming out of the discharge tube. Later, it showed 0%, even though nothing had changed.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Flying Cloud
Wapakoneta , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb75 View Post
You may not have completely emptied the tank. My owner's booklet says to run the hitch jack all the way down and all the way up to completely empty the black/grey sewer lines.
Good thought. Maybe I'll dip the front of the trailer down to see if anything more comes out. 7 gallons seems like a lot of water to be trapped though!

I agree on the accuracy of the readouts. They are more of a range so I guess at 94% it's probably anywhere from 94-100%.
jagpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote