Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Alabama
Remove Bumper on Caravel 22FB

I've been a lurker for a while, but we're getting close to ordering our Airstream and I was hoping someone might be able to help us with a question.

We've got a garage bay with a 10 ft. X 10 ft. door (9' 9" useable height) that we'd really like to use to store our trailer. It's exactly 21' 10.5" long. We would really like to buy the 22FB Caravel, however it's 21' 11" long from bumper to center of the ball. The 22FB Bambi is 21" 8" long as it doesn't have the rear bumper.

So my question is could I remove the bumper from the Caravel? If so, would the overall length come in under 21' 10.5" end to end? I know it's safer to go 20FB, but we really like the layout on the 22 foot.

Thanks in advance.

Tyler
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
It is notoriously easy to remove the rear chrome piece.
Four Phillips screws. The curve of the bumper is about 1 1/2 inches. Maybe 2. Did you measure to center of ball or front lip of hitch?
You might be able to customize a flat piece to keep the storage without messing with it each time your back your trailer in. That would be a good place for bumper stickers.
Are you SURE about your measurements?
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
On the inside wall, Cut out the sheetrock and notch the 2 x 4's if necessary.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:40 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED View Post
On the inside wall, Cut out the sheetrock and notch the 2 x 4's if necessary.
It's actually cinder block on the back wall up to around 4 ft. I thought about punching a hole in a block to allow the hitch to extend into, but then I'd have to figure out a way to get the trailer in the garage hitch first.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:49 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Alabama
For anyone that wanders by this thread in the future, I also asked Colonial Airstream about the potential to shorten the 22FB Caravel by removing the bumper. I got a response from Patrick himself. He says removing the bumper from the Caravel wouldn't shorten the trailer at all as it is built on a separate frame from the Bambi.

So, it looks like we're going 20FB (or storage) . . .
Old 06-17-2021, 07:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Double check the clear inside dimension of the garage walls and garage doors take up some space
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I just had my bumper off. I put a ding in it and wanted to see if I could make it better.
Yes, it's just four screws.
But the storage compartment is curved slightly also, that intrudes into the bumper.
I think you'd gain 2" by removing the bumper, and give some of that back by whatever plate you use to keep the storage stored.
You could use the same four screw locations and just make it flat.
Remember, the storage lid latches are on the bumper also.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
Move the garage door

Have you considered moving the garage door to accommodate the added length?
rhpeahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
The people who install your kind of garage door can MAKE a Change.

Call them and tell them your situation. It may be easier to cut a slice into your garage door on the section that would hit the front hitch. You can find find some way to extend a 'boxed in frame matching the door section in the center" down to the concrete.

May only be one panel that needs the conversion to fit.

Get a section to replace the one you modified if you move or no longer need to park the trailer. That way you can make the door back to like it was.

They can install a left side to right side width, stamped out metal that is a support for that section. I have two on door panel frames and it does give the door a lot more strength. They use the extra support for double garage doors made of aluminum.

That is the option I would use and then you can get the longer Airstream.

Cost should be minimal, considering your situation. It is the trailer than will cost you.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
The people who install your kind of garage door can MAKE a Change.

Call them and tell them your situation. It may be easier to cut a slice into your garage door on the section that would hit the front hitch. You can find find some way to extend a 'boxed in frame matching the door section in the center" down to the concrete.

May only be one panel that needs the conversion to fit.

Get a section to replace the one you modified if you move or no longer need to park the trailer. That way you can make the door back to like it was.

They can install a left side to right side width, stamped out metal that is a support for that section. I have two on door panel frames and it does give the door a lot more strength. They use the extra support for double garage doors made of aluminum.

That is the option I would use and then you can get the longer Airstream.

Cost should be minimal, considering your situation. It is the trailer than will cost you.
Thanks Ray. I hadn't considered working on the door side of things.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpeahl View Post
Have you considered moving the garage door to accommodate the added length?
I had not, but you and Ray have me thinking about it now.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post
For anyone that wanders by this thread in the future, I also asked Colonial Airstream about the potential to shorten the 22FB Caravel by removing the bumper. I got a response from Patrick himself. He says removing the bumper from the Caravel wouldn't shorten the trailer at all as it is built on a separate frame from the Bambi.

So, it looks like we're going 20FB (or storage) . . .
It may be a different frame, but I will bet it is not 3” longer - more likely 1 1/2”, with the other 1 1/2” coming from the curved bumper. I put a tape to it- my bumper extends exactly 1 1/2” beyond everything else.
On my Flying Cloud, the back edge of the tilt up cover runs straight from one frame end to the other. The compartment bottom is also straight, and a hair shorter.
There’s always more than one way to skin a cat, but I think your first approach was the least fussy, and cheaper as well.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:29 PM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
My boat trailer has a folding "A" frame for just such of a situation. Go to a marine dealer and look at some. They are pretty nifty. One consideration would be incorporating the center "A" frame member. It could be sleeved and pinned also. "Where there is a will there is away."
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel