Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
Capt Squid

2020 22' Caravel
Key Largo , Florida
Purchased 2020 Caravel 22FB

Planning to take delivery of a new 22FB April this year in Tucson. This is a very first experience with a travel trailer. Have many years experience with boats of all sizes including trailerable. Understand that all design is a compromise, maintenance is constant and everything needs repair at some point. Would appreciate advise to a beginner with travel trailers.

Thank you
Tom M
captsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Congratulations! You've come to the right place for advice.

There are a million threads here that will be helpful. I'd start, however, with watching Sean and Kristy's Long Long Honeymoon's Youtube channel. Some will apply to you and some won't but they are about as knowledgeable as they come. The playlist for beginners will get you started.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
dropped rivet in grass

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tarzan , Texas
I brought my first AS home to start my travel trailer education, but I only had a five-hour drive. You apparently are going almost all the way across the country. Better be ready to begin your education right there on the dealer lot. At least you've found the forums, that counts for a lot.
Tall Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard...👍

There is a learning curve...but you have successfully reached adulthood and it should not be insurmountable.
Use this resource, and more importantly...common sense.👍
“Education is what people do to you,
Learning is what you do to yourself”
Joichi Ito

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-09-2020, 04:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsquid View Post
Planning to take delivery of a new 22FB April this year in Tucson. This is a very first experience with a travel trailer. Have many years experience with boats of all sizes including trailerable. Understand that all design is a compromise, maintenance is constant and everything needs repair at some point. Would appreciate advise to a beginner with travel trailers.

Thank you
Tom M

My Advice is, don't use a tow vehicle where you are at near maximum tow ratings with an empty trailer and use a good quality weight distribution hitch. Lastly don't be in a hurry.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Congrats on your purchase lots of advice is gonna be thrown your way. My advice is don’t rush out and get a weight distribution hitch for the 22 I don’t use one and haven’t ever used one. The 22 is a small trailer and my tow vehicle is an f150 . Multiple trips to the car scale have shown me that weight distribution is unnecessary and others have pointed out that it may cause bouncing in this application. Others will tell you, and me now, that this is wrong but I disagree.

Do yourself a favor tow on the ball till you have time to make some measurement and decide if you need one of those hitches.

Sway control is available separately and would be a good thing to consider
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #7

San Clemente , California
Having owned boats in the water, boats we trailered and a cab over camper (hoping to purchase a 22 Bambi within 6 months) I would suggest after your walk thru with the dealer camp somewhere close for a few nights to figure things out. Don't get on the road too quick.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Sarasota , Florida
Just picked up my 22FB, yesterday! Can't wait to carve out some time for a trip..
Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have a WD and sway bars + pressure and temp measure on all 6 wheels.

IMHO, it is safe insurance. just because some people dont recommend, its like insurance. If it keeps me safe. then its a win.
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we have a WD and sway bars + pressure and temp measure on all 6 wheels.

IMHO, it is safe insurance. just because some people dont recommend, its like insurance. If it keeps me safe. then its a win.

100% With you on the TPMS for the trailer tires. I've had a TST system for almost two years and love it.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Boston , MA
adding a 32" smart TV to Caravel 22FB

Congrats on your new caravan!

we just took order of ours and are waiting for delivery to Boston (from Louisiana!) - got a great deal and we worked with a trusted dealer from local friends.

question - do any of you Caravel owners upgraded to a larger TV (from 24 to 32") and will the space and bracket system accomodate this mod?

we plan to add a new Apple TV and HDMI switcher.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-32LM620BPUA-led-tv

thanks all!
Miezi 2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
I just put a deposit down on a 2021 22FB. Managing to keep the cost down as it does not have the full awning set and no convection oven. Very excited. I am taking the next 48 hours to make a final decision. If I do take possession, I will be picking it up in Scottsdale AZ and driving it out to the New York area.
HUDSEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:44 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Cincinnati , OH
Imho

We are planning on getting a Caravell 22FB also, hopefully we will find a used trailer next year! By the way, our plan is to convert it to Twin Beds.
The topic of WDH always interests me, especially on smaller trailers. It has occurred to me that some people don't think a WDH is necessary on Small/Light Trailers to control Sawy. They simply get a Big Truck thinking that it will do the job of preventing the rear end of truck from snagging. Of course this doesn't address SWAY at all.
I am concerned about Trailer Sway/JackKnifing, particularly on Wet/Icy and Windy conditions. Because the Caravell has one axle, it also has less traction, (form the tires) to resist the pressure from side winds. I think that these contributing factors can occur quicker/easier on Short WheelBase TVs! Normally, a WDH not only transfer/distrituates the weight between the Trailer/TV, but it also tries to controls Sway by increasing the friction within the Hitch itself, it doesn't eliminate it. We plan on using either the Hensely or Propride WDH that does eliminate Sway 100%!
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel