Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #1

2021 20' Caravel
Indialantic , Florida
Mattress in the 20FB topper anyone???

We love to camp! We love that we are picking up our Caravel 20FB in just a few weeks. We love that we will not be on the ground on air mattresses in a tent or on the sofa in a family member’s camper.

Now I want to love my bed. But, alas, my spine hates me. Any help with a topper that will fit? Or should we just replace the bed? We want it to be as fantastic as our new camper. Because waking up grumpy just won’t do.
OrangeKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKatz View Post
We love to camp! We love that we are picking up our Caravel 20FB in just a few weeks. We love that we will not be on the ground on air mattresses in a tent or on the sofa in a family member’s camper.

Now I want to love my bed. But, alas, my spine hates me. Any help with a topper that will fit? Or should we just replace the bed? We want it to be as fantastic as our new camper. Because waking up grumpy just won’t do.
Wife and I both have minor to moderate back issues. So far we love the stock mattress as is. Granted only a few nights using it.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Same mattress / same bed ( but not quite). For whatever reason, my mattress / bed in the Classic has been fine with me. The mattress / bed on the other side has *never* made my wife happy. This stuff is all very specific to individuals. You may go through several replacements before you find one that makes you happy. A memory foam topper is the cheap starting point.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
SANTA MARIA , California
We bought a "topper" from the Airstream Store and it helps a bunch but is difficult to anchor to the mattress so it moves in the night enough so that in the morning it is a bit askew.

I'd say get it, you'll be glad you did.
Central Coast of California
Calvary Chapel of Santa Maria
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
La Mesa , California
We do not have our Airstream yet so I cannot speak to the mattress comfort (congrats btw! We LOVE the Caravel 20 and that had been our model of choice for many months and last minute we opted for a 25 to get the rear hatch. But I just love the kitchen in the 20's!).

Anyway, my contribution is only to recommend a mattress topper we have used in our previous RV and that we currently use in our guest bedroom with rave reviews from guests. We use "The Big One Cool Flow" topper from Kohls. They also always have sales and and Kohls cash can make these a ridiculously inexpensive option to try.

My plan with the 20FB Caravel had been to purchase a queen and cut it to size. I do not recall the exact dimensions of the Caravel bed, but if memory serves me the queen topper is the correct length and about 9-10 inches too wide. In the past when we have cut these to size they cut easily and I tend to run hot while seeping and I do not have that problem with this. May be worth looking into depending on how soft or firm your back issues require.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-39...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
DustyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
cutting trick

An upholstery guy showed me how to use a reciprocating carving knife to cut thick foam. Not perfect, but better than multiple passes with a blade or the deformation that results from cutting by compressing the foam with a board to make a blade cut more practical.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Though I know many like "memory foam", I personally hate it. It's hot, I feel like I'm sinking into the bed, etc.. Etc.. Regardless of which ones that have been tried.

Last time around, spent the extra money and time doing the research and got a "100% Latex" topper base on the firmness we like and the correct sheets for our liking based on the type of cotton and weave. Now the queen bed in the camper is better than the one in the house! It sleeps cool with just enough give.

Just a thought,
Old 06-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Indianapolis , Indiana
We also bought a Kohls 3 in cool flow topper and are super happy with it. My wife used a mattress cover and it stays in place well. I cut it with a carving knife to fit, super easy. Very comfortable, ours is fairly soft the way we like it.
amckibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #9

2021 20' Caravel
Chivago , Illinois
We were surprised on how comfy the mattress was in our 20FB. The only "challenge" is getting the bed made :-) It never looks good enough - but I'm sure that's user error.
Ladybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybird View Post
..... The only "challenge" is getting the bed made :-) It never looks good enough - but I'm sure that's user error.
Hi

No, you really can't make these beds well. There simply are to many pinch points and strange twists and turns involved

We have friends who have given up on making the beds. They put a cover on the mattress and use sleeping bags. The bags get put away each morning.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybird View Post
We were surprised on how comfy the mattress was in our 20FB. The only "challenge" is getting the bed made :-) It never looks good enough - but I'm sure that's user error.
Recommend AB Lifestyles sheets fitted specifically for our 20FB beds:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ab+l...=airforums.com
https://www.ablifestyles.net/airstre...SABEgJSqvD_BwE
https://www.ablifestyles.net/product...airstream.html

Call . . . they will know exactly which one. Mattress pads too.

Happy trails,

Peter

PS -- Welcome to the forum.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKatz View Post

Late reply on the mattress topper. We purchased a 2” custom topper from airstream for our upper bunk. All other mattresses have a 3” memory foam from BB&B. I highly recommend the Therapedic 3” from BB&B. They cost a little more though far superior. We have purchased five total now and they make a world of difference.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...skuId=62599283
Old 06-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
We just purchased a Tempur Pedic and love it...since they sent us two by mistake--charged us--we said: "what the heck and installed both". Purchased extra deep wall length fitted sheet and corner straps. A little extra weight but the bed is now
Fabulous.....
2019 Flying Cloud 27FB "Blanch"
Two Dogs in Tow
lsawye01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #14

2021 20' Caravel
Chivago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Recommend AB Lifestyles sheets fitted specifically for our 20FB beds:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ab+l...=airforums.com
https://www.ablifestyles.net/airstre...SABEgJSqvD_BwE
https://www.ablifestyles.net/product...airstream.html

Call . . . they will know exactly which one. Mattress pads too.

Happy trails,

Peter

PS -- Welcome to the forum.
Thank you!
Ladybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:36 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Powell Butte , Oregon
We bought this for the dinette bed in our 20FB Caravel.

https://www.dormeousa.com/products/p...attress-topper
Jim9640 is offline   Reply With Quote