Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2024, 02:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2024 16' Caravel
Rochester , Minnesota
Maiden Voyage for our 2024 16RB

Purchased our airstream back in February and finally got on our first real camping trip. We loved our popup ... but it was definitely time to get into a trailer. The 16ft RB was absolutely perfect for us even with 2 of our kids deciding to join us for the overnights and the 3rd for dinner ... Couple observations (nits) , questions for the experienced crew ...

The hitch has been a bit of a bugger ... any tricks to getting it to couple? honestly the popup was also a bugger, but it was light enough to move it around.

The little reading lights that you press in to turn on are finicky ... most you need to rotate them in a certain direction to get them to turn on.

The main lights have an annoying hum when you dim them (I see this in the forums as something you have to live with)

2 of our kids decided to join us for the weekend ... they said there are too many bright LED lights ... they were trying to find ways to cover them at night. The most annoying was the green circle around the battery shutoff.

Any magic setting on the fridge that keeps the freezer frozen without freezing half the fridge?

Do the awning latches get easier with time? ... in particular the knobs you pulldown that undo the tension bar across the top? Both my husband and I cut our fingers trying to pull those down, but they make it look so easy on the videos we have watched as well as when we did the walk through. They also have these little plastic caps that pop off every time ... will see how long those last ... guess they are supposed to prevent slicing your finger on the edges.

Finally ... when you are storing between camping trips, is there anything that you do with the battery? we have the lithium batteries? do you disconnect anything?

BTW ... If you made it this far, I decided I should share my top 5 things we loved vs the popup days ...

1-Having a bathroom for the middle of the night!
2-The bed was amazing ... our jobs our stressful, my Garmin said I had sleep scores of 75, 83 and 93 ,... I don't know when I have had a sleep score over 65!
3-Setup and Takedown was so fast ... even with it was raining when we left.
4-The inside kitchen and dinette is useable ... cooking/eating inside is actually doable - and I loved having running hot water with a real sink!
5-Storage that I don't have to get on my hands and knees for!!! My son 3D printed shelves for the closet for us (using rollup dish bars that snap in) .. We have so much storage in places that make sense ..

Well ... one trip down, 4 more to go!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8943.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	710.2 KB
ID:	443784  
LNinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 06:10 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2024 20' Caravel
Westerville , Ohio
Congratulations! We just purchased our first airstream, or RV of any kind, a 2024 Caravel 20 FB.

We have never driven, towed, or been in an RV before this purchase, but we went in head first. After a quick overnight to the Airstream factory, we did a two night Airstream rally in Northwest Ohio, then embarked on our summer adventure. My wife and I were in New York City for a week, then my daughter and I drove up to Maine, and are now headed to Key West over two months. Im driving with the Caravel in tow and shes actually cycling the entire way.

To answer your questions, yes, the awnings get smoother with time. The first few times, we felt like it was impossible. but now I can do it by myself with very little trouble. I found that standing in front of the awning and pulling the tension bar towards me is a lot easier than pushing out. Give that a try.

Also, not sure what type of hitch you are using. We went with the blue ox sway pro and it has been wonderful. Were towing with a Porsche Cayenne and it tows effortlessly and we have had zero sway even with trucks passing us on both sides. I couldnt be happier with our decision.

Play around with the fridge. I think ours is set just past the halfway point. Do NOT store cans of soda or beer right under the freezer until you figure out the right setting - we did freeze and explore some root beer and it was quite messy.

Best of luck - I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
CopyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote