Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
All good advice, but especially what Foiled Again said, “Less is more!” Walk around any unpaved campground and look at the tracks left by other campers’ TV’s front wheels. You’ll see a very gentle, continuous serpentine pattern. This is how you avoid the dreaded JACKKNIFE.
Take your time and use your brake to give yourself time to process: Am I seeing too much empty space on the outside of my camping curve? Is the angle too sharp as seen in the other side mirror, or the center mirror? Is my TV’s front corner going to clip that prehistoric site marker pole? (Most of the worst offenders were taken out by other campers decades ago.)
Teach your spotter to tell you what you can’t see yourself, and to look UP too. And, she should always be able to see you through a side mirror, so you aren’t distracted by the thought of her under a trailer tire.
You’ll be brilliant!
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Good advice on avoiding the jackknife. In my experience, the jackknife occurs when you wait too long to start the swing to bring the tow vehicle back in line with the trailer. It takes practice.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:14 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Concord , Arizona
Thank you all.
I went to Lowe’s yesterday and found a trailer for rent. I think it was $36 per day. A nice size trailer too.

My plan is to rent that few times and practice full day with it. I may not be an expert yet in that short amount of time but at least I will not be a total noob.

You all have been a great help. Thanks again
Kyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Learn to Fly a Helicopter. Join the Army, they need people who can back up Utility Trailers.

A Helicopter on the ground is helpless. The pilot is helpless. The helicopter is just blowing dust of the tarmac.

Get it a foot off the ground and you can do a 360 degree turn, a 90 degree... and Go UP.

A trailer is on the ground. You are safe. You will not have to Auto Rotate if your Tow Vehicle blows a head gasket or runs out of fuel.

For $36, I would help you. Not fly a helicopter as they are expensive to lease. Tow your Airstream to the hinderlands of the Rockies to practice. I will take a Shower and use mouth wash... to make it more pleasant.

If I had a choice, practice with your excellent choice in trailers. You can see the Airstream in your rear view mirror. Your backing up experiment is like Buying a Kite to learn to Fly an Airplane.

You are one Rich Dude. Hire someone at the dealership to whip you into shape. My wife whipped me into shape calling me an Airstream Princess... and I hit her with my purse.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle007 View Post
Thank you all.
I went to Lowe’s yesterday and found a trailer for rent. I think it was $36 per day. A nice size trailer too.

My plan is to rent that few times and practice full day with it. I may not be an expert yet in that short amount of time but at least I will not be a total noob.

You all have been a great help. Thanks again

If you can get one with high sides and front, no cheating looking over your shoulder. Makes a big difference.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:08 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
If you can get one with high sides and front, no cheating looking over your shoulder. Makes a big difference.
Hi

Indeed ....

I started out with trailers you could see over. The drill was always "look back over your right shoulder". ( it helps with steering). When you have a trailer that blocks everything ..... not so much. You now have to learn to do it with the mirrors ( yes it's plural, you need to check both sides .... ).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:15 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle007 View Post
Zero experience! Should I go get a utility trailer and practice on that first? Even a utility trailer is at least $1000. I could use that 1k toward the RV you know.

Thanks
Good suggestions already. Recommend calling a truck/RV driving school and taking a lesson or two. The time and cost will be well spent IMO.

Backing up a trailer is like riding a bike . . . learn carefully . . . practice . . practice . . . practice.

KISS

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Go to Ace and get yourself a trailer for your riding lawn mower. Hitch up and start practicing. Don't worry. You can't ruin anything.

Believe me, the trailer on the lawn mower is a challenge to back into a site! If you can do it, your Caravel will practically park itself.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tags
caravel