Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2021, 11:49 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Woodland Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeahBay View Post
…no bathroom sink (we fixed that with custom counter and stainless steel sink).
I’d love to see how you made this modification. I wondered how I could add a little sink to the bathroom.

We love our 16’ Caravel. It’s perfect. A little small but perfect layout.

Elisa
chamelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:34 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
SANTA MARIA , California
We bought a 2018 16rb and loved it, shower totally un-useable for me but my wife used the shower and didn't mind it.
Looked at a 19cb and knew that's what I would prefer. The shower stall is wonderful, the toilet is way off the floor and my feet dangle, but the 3 extra feet in the 19cb is so well worth it.

We may have gone with the 20 foot but didn't like the bed right at the entrance door.
Central Coast of California
Calvary Chapel of Santa Maria
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:46 AM   #23
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamelisa View Post
I’d love to see how you made this modification. I wondered how I could add a little sink to the bathroom.

Elisa

Agree about sink. We have an Interstate with an even smaller wet bath and it has a sink. Makes no sense to me that they don’t include same type of sink in 16RB trailers.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
We loved the rear dinette window in our 2014 Creekside.
Nowadays, most public campgrounds are set up to provide a decent view from the curbside. At the last few stays, this swung the rear view over to the neighbor's picnic table.
Whatever configuration you decide on, with practice you'll learn to scout out sites that it fits into.
Our first Airstream was a 22 Sport and we adjusted to the different view. Within a year, we were looking for more room (though it was the jet-engine A/C that put us over the top). We considered the 20' because of the nice kitchen layout with a view, but the dinette location street side was a deal breaker.
In our 23', we leave the bathroom door open to be able to see what's going on back there.
If you go with the 16' model, figure out how to bring along a blueboy to avoid hooking up the tow vehicle for a midnight run to the dump station. That combo tank is a real limitation!
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:27 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
We have a fc19'; they don't make it anymore, so some of my reasons for choice no longer exist. I was adamant about having an oven, which I use daily. I cook just like at home. The 20' def has a better kitchen layout, but I still would choose my 19. We can make our tanks last 7 days when boondocking. We make use of the shower, & I def didn't like mixed gray & black water. I could have lived with a wet bath, but very happy not to have to. I have learned how to deal with the lack of counter space. The dinette table is right there so you can use it for prep, but I keep it fulltime in the lounge position. I have a little table that I found at camping world that is about place mat size & can flip open to double that- enough to prep, enough for 2 to eat on, & when small, enough for a laptop. I love the basecamp but not having a designated bed was a dealbreaker for me. We have looked at a 23 or 25 with thoughts of moving up for more room (we actually full time in ours), but honestly the 19 has tons of storage for its size, & we love the ability to go where so many can't fit! The 16' is a beautiful design- very smart use of space. I think it comes down to the tanks & wet bath- only you can decide how important that is!
fossil5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #26
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
The 16RB has a dry hitch weight of 490 lbs. vs. 550 lbs. for the 19CB (and 565 lbs. for 20FB). We almost certainly would have ordered the 16RB anyway for the rear bed and window, but our SUV has a 551 lb. max hitch weight and even the 16RB will have to be managed. The 19CB base weight also is 500 lbs. more than the 16RB (4,000 vs. 3,500 lbs. for 16RB). May not be a consideration for you, but I definitely needed and wanted to keep weights down.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Don't know if this was mentioned prior but concentrating on weights to satisfy an existing tow vehicle may lead you to be disappointed with your AS in a short while.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Our 2014 16ft Bambi has been across Canada and the US several times behind a Ford Edge. Set up by CanAm.
I can say we have never worried about overloading. I am fanatic about tire temp and wheel bearings. no issue so far
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:06 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamelisa View Post

Elisa
I designed, had a local fabricator weld the aluminum counter, and then I assembled, applied finish, and installed. Cost about $500 in materials. The drain piping runs to a 1 gallon jug next to the toilet. We use the gray water in the toilet.

Capturing gray water at this sink and the galley sink (in a bowl in the sink), we have been able to go 10 days on the black combo tank. Usually we go 5 days with only half full black tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021 Caravel 16RB Custom Sink.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	410940  
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:51 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Woodland Hills , California
Wow that’s cute!!!!
chamelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:41 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
SANTA MARIA , California
Quote:
I designed, had a local fabricator weld the aluminum counter, and then I assembled, applied finish, and installed. Cost about $500 in materials. The drain piping runs to a 1 gallon jug next to the toilet. We use the gray water in the toilet.

Capturing gray water at this sink and the galley sink (in a bowl in the sink), we have been able to go 10 days on the black combo tank. Usually we go 5 days with only half full black tank.

That's amazing!
Central Coast of California
Calvary Chapel of Santa Maria
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:32 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
I’m looking for feedback on pros & cons between the 16 and 19 ft Caravel. Been waffling back and forth for almost two years - it’s time to decide.

I’m in love with the front/ back panoramic windows of the 16. Worry about: being too small, but mostly about the wet bath and one grey/black tank.

The 19 has extra space, separate shower along with separate grey/black tanks. But it looses the back panoramic window.

I suggest a 20FB. No, it doesn't have a rear panorama window, but it does over the bed at the front, and large windows beside the dinette. Best kitchen of most any camper. Bathroom isn't a wetbath, has separate tanks. I really think it's a sweet spot in floorplans.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:13 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnbright View Post
i suggest a 20fb. No, it doesn't have a rear panorama window, but it does over the bed at the front, and large windows beside the dinette. Best kitchen of most any camper. Bathroom isn't a wetbath, has separate tanks. I really think it's a sweet spot in floorplans.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:32 PM   #34
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
For my wife the Caravel 16 is the only option based on (a) it’s so cute and (b) the wraparound windows at both ends. All other considerations are secondary! Luckily we have an Interstate now and we are know that we can be happy with a small space, wet bath and limited tank capacity.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:17 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:

This is amazing!
hovr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel