Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 05:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Dinette Caravel 16

I recently used the dinette for sleeping for the first time in my 2020 Caravel 16. It seems like the center cushions are about an inch too thick. This creates a hump instead of a smooth flat surface. I have noticed the dinette seats always seemed a bit too short when those fillers are in the dinette position behind your back.
It’s still under warranty. Has anyone noticed this.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
For what it is worth, I always use the dinette as a bed in our 2007 and the cushions lie perfectly flat. The backrest cushions are 3/4” thinner than the seat cushions (4 1/4” vs. 5”) to compensate for the thickness of the dinette table top.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Huntington Beach , California
Dinette pads

I just bought a 2021 Caravel 19CB. The dinette pads are about an inch (or so) too think for making a flat bed. It seems like poor design. I'm thinking of getting a memory foam pad to put on top of the uneven dinette pads. It's odd that the rectangle seat back pads are not more thin (to accommodate the raised table in the sleeping position) or the table does not sit even with the seat base.
MikeVogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
They changed the retractable leg so the table sits higher when down and never changed the cushion dimensions. Memory foam is a nice idea but should not be needed in a 60k trailer. I think I’ll start complaining on Monday.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I think you have a legitimate complaint. They represent that the trailers sleep 4, then deliver a product that is not fit for that purpose.

Odd thing is that they know what is needed in the design and delivered a proper bed for years, if not decades. My guess is that they will fix this obvious problem in future models, but I have no guess as to how they will respond to you.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Maybe we all can "request" that Airstream recall the new Caravels (design flaw that prevents the unit from functioning as advertised) and thereby provide send us with narrower pads! :-D
Old 09-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
I think you have a legitimate complaint. They represent that the trailers sleep 4, then deliver a product that is not fit for that purpose.

Odd thing is that they know what is needed in the design and delivered a proper bed for years, if not decades. My guess is that they will fix this obvious problem in future models, but I have no guess as to how they will respond to you.
Seems an easy fix. Just make two new filler cushions about an inch thinner. I don’t think it will go that smoothly. I hope everyone with the same unit starts a claim.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
I have filed a complaint with Airstream. The trailer is very expensive and should function as advertised.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I will follow up on Monday.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Concord , Arizona
Good to know. Mine 16’ is still on the waiting list. Please update on this. Maybe should tell them I will not buy if that is not fixed. Yikes, I may lose my $2500 deposit
Kyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:41 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Here is the Airstream costumer service contact information:

support@airstreamsupport.zendesk.com
Old 09-23-2021, 12:29 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
I will follow up on Monday.
Any update on this? I have the same issue with 2021 Caravel 16RB.
hovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:17 AM   #13
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
I recently used the dinette for sleeping for the first time in my 2020 Caravel 16. It seems like the center cushions are about an inch too thick. This creates a hump instead of a smooth flat surface. I have noticed the dinette seats always seemed a bit too short when those fillers are in the dinette position behind your back.
It’s still under warranty. Has anyone noticed this.
Hi Shiny16,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 09-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I booked a service appointment with Colonial Airstream for January. I will follow up with a call to Airstream tech support on Monday.

I hope everyone does the same. A foam pad is nice but should not be needed and would not completely eliminate a 1 to 2 inch bump.

Airstream changed the leg on the dinette from previous models. It’s a bit higher in the folded position so they added rubber bumpers on the table bottom to level the dinette resulting in the table being about an inch higher in the down position. Then they simply used the same cushions as previous models.

They need to either shorten the table leg or provide thinner cushions. I’m sure they will do nothing if there are not enough complaints.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I don’t know if this will help: I “upgraded” the older style (square chrome) leg on my 2007 16’ to the newer (oval brushed) leg and the newer one was an inch longer than the older one. It was easy to trim an inch off the new leg and now the table is level in the up position and the bed is level in the down position. (No bumpers before or after)
Old 09-25-2021, 10:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
I don’t know if this will help: I “upgraded” the older style (square chrome) leg on my 2007 16’ to the newer (oval brushed) leg and the newer one was an inch longer than the older one. It was easy to trim an inch off the new leg and now the table is level in the up position and the bed is level in the down position. (No bumpers before or after)
That’s what I was thinking. However this one is already installed. Trimming the leg would mean remounting the wall brackets. Which would mean extra holes in the wall. They could be covered with rivets. Not something I feel I should have to live with or do myself to a 60k trailer.

I do appreciate your post as it shows what Airstream should have done in the first place.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
That’s what I was thinking. However this one is already installed. Trimming the leg would mean remounting the wall brackets. Which would mean extra holes in the wall. They could be covered with rivets. Not something I feel I should have to live with or do myself to a 60k trailer.

I do appreciate your post as it shows what Airstream should have done in the first place.
I certainly agree that you should not have to live with or do anything yourself to solve this significant problem.

The irony of this is that what Airstream should have done in the first place is: nothing. They had a time-tested design that worked.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
I certainly agree that you should not have to live with or do anything yourself to solve this significant problem.

The irony of this is that what Airstream should have done in the first place is: nothing. They had a time-tested design that worked.
The upgraded leg is definitely nicer. If you realized it need to be shortened one would think Airstream would have as well. The thing is they did because they added the bumpers.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I took a more aggressive approach with the height of the table. I took the table top off (finished edges were sharp and it had to be fixed) then I found a new table top, a live edge piece of wood at home depot. I cut it slightly smaller than the original table so it could fit between the benches with the top flush so no more bump. I had to modify the table leg by shortening it to allow the new table to come down more. I still have to add ledgers for the table to rest on although this setup doesn’t really need them now.

It wasn’t a straight forward modification to shorten the table leg. I had to take it apart and cut 1” off the 2 sections which worked out well with the thicker table top. Our Sport has a single telescoping leg under the table so it this may be different than other trailers.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Even with the bumpers off, because the table lays on the seat base, the bed will still have the hump, the pads being too thick….and at a price of $70k+ There’s no way I’’m drilling holes extra holes im anything!

Tags
caravel