Old 06-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Pinehurst , North Carolina
Never thought about locking the spare. The hitch plate is removable and has a pin for different extensions. The bed storage is about 24” wide or up to 28 or so on the diagonal. Hope this helps.

Jay22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
Stabilizer Jack Pad

Hello again,

Can any of the 2020 Airstream Caravel 20FB owners tell be what size of Stabilizer Jack Pads I need?

What is the size of the heavy duty stabilizer jack pad feet on the 2020 Airstream Caravel 20FB?

Thank you!

4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
Flip flopping between the 20 sand 22 layout. Hard to make decision. I prefer the kithchen and extra perp space on the 20. That being said, that larger bed with more windows on the 22 is hard to pass up. Any thoughts for those of you who have been using their 20?
HUDSEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:05 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUDSEEZ View Post
Flip flopping between the 20 sand 22 layout. Hard to make decision. I prefer the kithchen and extra perp space on the 20. That being said, that larger bed with more windows on the 22 is hard to pass up. Any thoughts for those of you who have been using their 20?

I donít have one but here is my take:

20í
- better kitchen (counter and cabinets)
- better dinette (better seating for 4 and two big windows)

22í
- bigger bed
- lower tongue weight
- longer front awning
- dinette is comfy like a sofa (but not great for 4)
- I think all windows open where slim oval ones on 20í donít
- shower has a glass door vs that slide away screen but no medicine cabinet
- bathroom near entrance is handy
- bigger wardrobe
- I have seen the plexiglass between dinette loosen

In my mind unless you go 30í everything else is a compromise, but we donít all want to drive full size pickups.

How often do we cook or dine indoors if just using as a seasonal camper?
Old 07-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Denver , Colorado
20 for sure

We have the 20FB Caravel and we love it. For my wife and I plus 3 dogs the 20 works great. There is enough room in the bed for us both and the dogs sleep wherever. A couple other things we like are the better dining table, the wrap around dinette is really uncomfortable IMO. We cook alot so the extra counter space is awesome. Having a shorter trailer always has advantages for maneuverability both on the road and for fitting into campsites. I pull with a 2017 F150 3.5ltr EcoBoost and a Blue Ox hitch and it rides like a dream. We average 11-13 mpg. We live in Colorado so mpg is highly influenced by how much mountain driving we are doing.

The only things I want to modify are - lift the suspension, we have a steep driveway and boondock mostly so the extra clearance would be helpful. We want to add more solar, we have the stock solar and AGM batteries but becuase the fridge in the Caravels does not run on propane we use more battery boondocking so having extra solar would be helpful either on the roof or a Zamp suitcase. Not sure why Airstream didn't put propane/electric fridge in the Caravel.

Hope this helps.
floridanativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
Have you checked into the lift? Will a dealer do it? How much?

Yeah Iím not sold on that electric fridge either but if dry camping and you get enough solar it will save you from having to fill the propane tank up every 2 weeks. I have found with my prior fridge it could last on a tank for 2 weeks allowing the other tank to supply the hot water heater, stove and oven. Now with the 2021 on-demand hot water heaters I wonder if they will use more propane.

I have always wondered why Airstream didnít put a larger fridge in their trailers. My previous trailer was a Kodiak and it had a full size fridge and had a separate freezer. I could pack enough food for the family for 2 weeks. Not sure you could do that in the smaller fridge sizes.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Denver , Colorado
Yeah, you can get a dealer to do it. It is also possible to do it yourself if you have the tools and mechanical know how. The kit itself is under $200. You can buy the kit directly from the manufacturer or eTrailer. Here is a link with some good pictures that show before and after.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...71-707-01.html

Not sure on the fridge thing, the larger model airstreams have bigger fridge and some have the seperate freezer.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Caravel

We have a 2020 Caravel 20fb and we love it. Sufficient room for us and our two dogs. Bed is small but neither of us is large so it works fine. The great kitchen area, better dining arrangement and having the bathroom away from the sleeping area were the main reasons we chose the 20 over the 22. The refrigerator is great as it is very efficient, cools quickly and is larger than a gas unit. I was never pleased with the 3way refrigerator were had in our previous motor home. Poor cooling and sensitivity to being level were constant problems.
All that said the interior layout and how you like arrangement are very user dependent. Either unit will be a good choice.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay22 View Post
We have a 2020 Caravel 20fb and we love it. Sufficient room for us and our two dogs. Bed is small but neither of us is large so it works fine. The great kitchen area, better dining arrangement and having the bathroom away from the sleeping area were the main reasons we chose the 20 over the 22. The refrigerator is great as it is very efficient, cools quickly and is larger than a gas unit. I was never pleased with the 3way refrigerator were had in our previous motor home. Poor cooling and sensitivity to being level were constant problems.

All that said the interior layout and how you like arrangement are very user dependent. Either unit will be a good choice.

Hi Jay,

Can you advise if the stabilizer wrench and lug nut wrench are one tool or separate tools?
Old 07-15-2020, 11:03 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , tx
The stabilizer jack wrench and the lug nut wrench are different tools.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:42 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
Thank you.

How is your Airstream working so far? Have you been out much?

Did you get the solar? Do you camp without services? How do the batteries hold up?
Old 07-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
Hi Jay,

Can you advise if the stabilizer wrench and lug nut wrench are one tool or separate tools?

The stabilizer tool will not fit the lug nuts. The tool would not be strong enough to break the lug nuts free in any case. A better solution is to get a + type lug wrench that will fit both.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
Thank you.

How is your Airstream working so far? Have you been out much?

Did you get the solar? Do you camp without services? How do the batteries hold up?

We have been out a few times and it has been great. I was surprised that there have been no construction problems. I was concerned since the forum is full of quality complaints.

We have the 90w solar package but have not needed it yet (NC in the summer!). The refrigerator is great at cooling quickly but runs about 10% of time. I suspect the two AGM batteries would not last very long. Will probably add the second panel which should be enough in sunny weather. I will carry a 2000w generator as insurance against high demand and cloudy weather.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Denver , Colorado
Hi 4Runner, we have not had any issues with the Demov coupler. We use this for our lock set, it works awesome and the coupler lock fits the Demco perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-3...B6D50FHKA0PJKF

As for the jack pad and stabilizer pads, we carry an assortment of 4"x4"x8" blocks as well as two sets of plastic leveling sqares. We are usually camped offroad and on unlevel ground so it helps to have lots of options. Yes the hitch hack plate is removal and adustable, with a pin and cotter pin to lock it in place.

Tags
caravel