Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2023, 04:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Cary , North Carolina
Caravel 16RB, Unusual configuration

Looking for some help. I can't believe that I'm the only one with a 2024 16RB with this configuration.

My water pump is under the sink, behind the microwave. The manual shows it under the driver side dining area seat with the solar controller. Under the seat doesn't even have an access hatch in order to get the solar controller. I've pulled both the silverware drawer and the cabinet under the microwave and I can verify the pump location but I can't see or service it.

It appears that there are two bad ways to access the water pump and sediment filter: (1) Pull the microwave which is mounted or (2) Remove the outdoor shower fixture and access from outside. Neither is appealing.

I suppose that I can cut an access hatch to the solar controller but I'm not sure where it is mounted and sawing the seat could hit the controller.

Hard to believe that AS put the water pump in the location that is correct for the 19' unit. I do think that it is a good location for water pressure, use of space in a small unit. In addition not co-locating the water pump with the solar controller seems like a good move.

Anybody else have this configuration? If so is there a designed plan for access? The users manual shows the pump under the seat. I called Jackson Center and they couldn't/didn't respond with an answer as their drawings didn't show that configuration. My dealer was also surprised.
AbstrctLogc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
The manuals for most of the Caravels have been completely wrong about the location of the water pump. For my 2022 20FB, the manual said that it was under the microwave, when in fact it is under the left dinette seat. I've reported this to Airstream multiple times. Quality is apparently not "job one" when it comes to documentation/manuals either.
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBullotta View Post
The manuals for most of the Caravels have been completely wrong about the location of the water pump. For my 2022 20FB, the manual said that it was under the microwave, when in fact it is under the left dinette seat. I've reported this to Airstream multiple times. Quality is apparently not "job one" when it comes to documentation/manuals either.
Thatís interesting! Under the microwave has been the standard location for 20FBís for years. I wonder when it was moved then. (Of course, every pump Iíve seen has always been a shurflo, but mine has a flojetÖ Iím assuming the PO changed it out for some reason.)
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Westfield , Wisconsin
We have a 2020 Caravel 16RB. The pump and strainer is located under the roadside dinette bench.
MINICS04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Under our bench.

Tags
caravel