Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 208
2020 Caravel 22í FB Tongue Weight

Hi all. Seriously considering a change from my 2019 Sport 22 to the Caravel 22. The list of upgrades is so extensive, and with a year under my belt, I now know much more about what I would want in my long term AS.

Looking for real world numbers from owners on the tongue weight of this model. It would help me greatly in making my decision. Thanks in advance!
__________________

Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 208
No 2020 Caravel 22í owners on the site? I may be selling my 2019 Sport very soon, and want to make sure I donít leave myself in a bad situation if the 2020 Caravel comes in super heavy.
__________________

Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,000
4200 lb base weight EMPTY
525 lb. tongue weight
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
4200 lb base weight EMPTY
525 lb. tongue weight


Waninae, is that what you have found for the real weights of the trailer, or are you providing the published weight by Airstream. I know they have published 525, but that may be very different than what owners are seeing with their actual trailers. I need to know what people are really seeing in practice. Thanks
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Halford1's Avatar
 
2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
Waninae, is that what you have found for the real weights of the trailer, or are you providing the published weight by Airstream. I know they have published 525, but that may be very different than what owners are seeing with their actual trailers. I need to know what people are really seeing in practice. Thanks
Have you tried weighting it at a scale?
__________________
2014 Ford Explorer XLT with factory installed Tow Package.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
Have you tried weighting it at a scale?


If I owned one I would use my scale to weigh it. In the original post I am asking for any current owners of a 2020 Caravel 22í to share their actual tongue weight. It is an important data point for me to know in my decision to keep my 2019 Sport or change to a 2020 Caravel.

Any Caravel 22í owners that know their tongue weight, please share. Thanks
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 208
Ok, so I finally was able to take my scale and weigh a 2020 Caravel 22í FB. Airstream published a 525lbs dry weight. I just measured 600lbs dry. Even if you assume that Airstreamís weight is with empty propane tanks (I think they mean full ones), it would still be 560lbs.

This is a single data point, but that is so far above the published number that it is unsafe. Many buyers will make a purchase decision based on manufacturerís numbers, and could put themselves in a dangerous situation unintentionally. Airstream really needs to do a better job of providing real world numbers for their trailers.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Halford1's Avatar
 
2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
Ok, so I finally was able to take my scale and weigh a 2020 Caravel 22í FB. Airstream published a 525lbs dry weight. I just measured 600lbs dry. Even if you assume that Airstreamís weight is with empty propane tanks (I think they mean full ones), it would still be 560lbs.

This is a single data point, but that is so far above the published number that it is unsafe. Many buyers will make a purchase decision based on manufacturerís numbers, and could put themselves in a dangerous situation unintentionally. Airstream really needs to do a better job of providing real world numbers for their trailers.
ohhhh that is bad. my 2017 Sport has 523 lbs tongue weight. Caravel added weight would be 2nd battery, stainless steel rock guards. Probably heavier battery box.
__________________
2014 Ford Explorer XLT with factory installed Tow Package.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
Msherw's Avatar

 
2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 337
Blog Entries: 2
Will be interesting to see if AS weighs into the weight discussion.

As a Sport 22FB owner with a tow vehicle close to max SAFE tow numbers, the Caravel coming in light on paper but heavy on the scales will be a BAD thing.
__________________
M!ke
Jayco Redhawk 24B motor coach
Ham Radio Call sign K5FT
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
Will be interesting to see if AS weighs into the weight discussion.



As a Sport 22FB owner with a tow vehicle close to max SAFE tow numbers, the Caravel coming in light on paper but heavy on the scales will be a BAD thing.


Thatís exactly why I had to weigh one before selling my 2019 Sport to move up to the Caravel. I could have made 525 work, I canít make 600 work. Once water and cargo are added, Iím sure the Caravel will come in close to 700 lbs. my current sport fully loaded is around 515-525.

Something tells me they have changes in mind that may drop the weights closer to the published number... 75 lbs is way too off at 14% higher than advertised.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Halford1's Avatar
 
2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
Thatís exactly why I had to weigh one before selling my 2019 Sport to move up to the Caravel. I could have made 525 work, I canít make 600 work. Once water and cargo are added, Iím sure the Caravel will come in close to 700 lbs. my current sport fully loaded is around 515-525.

Something tells me they have changes in mind that may drop the weights closer to the published number... 75 lbs is way too off at 14% higher than advertised.
When I was a member of Popupportal.com, there was a discussion about tongue weight. Most of the popuppers would not fill water tank until they arrive at campground and fill it up, of course with water filter at the source.

I guess you can travel without water in the tank and upon arrival, fill the water tank. That way you keep your tongue weight lighter.
__________________
2014 Ford Explorer XLT with factory installed Tow Package.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
When I was a member of Popupportal.com, there was a discussion about tongue weight. Most of the popuppers would not fill water tank until they arrive at campground and fill it up, of course with water filter at the source.



I guess you can travel without water in the tank and upon arrival, fill the water tank. That way you keep your tongue weight lighter.


Thatís why I needed to weigh it first. I figured if it was close to the published number I could move the batteries inside (small reduction in tongue weight) and tow the trailer with no water. Unfortunately, nothing I could do would move the 600lbs dry weight down sufficiently to be in the 500lbs range I should be at.

Iím just going to wait until I get the Tesla Cybertruck in a few years, then reevaluate if I want to swap my 22í Sport for a Caravel or a 25í with the rear hatch option. Patience will pay off on this decision for me.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 27
A single lithium battery under the bed and a single Viking composite propane tank would help alot with the heavy tongue weight.
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmitch View Post
A single lithium battery under the bed and a single Viking composite propane tank would help alot with the heavy tongue weight.


I agree, but still not enough to lose over 100 lbs. If I wait a few years and upgrade when I have a tow vehicle that can pull anything I would be interested in, that gives me a better chance to buy my 20 year trailer then. Still, the Caravel is a very nicely appointed trailer and was very tempting
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 14
Good morning. Thought I would jump in here (first time post and new the forum). I am eyeing a 22FB Caravel to purchase this fall. Currently I will be towing it with a 2018 Toyota Tacoma. Anyone out there purchase the 22ft and if so have any advice on the purchasing process. I have worked, towed and used a number of trailers over the years but have never purchased one

Hearing about the weight is now a bit concerning, but I wonder if that will be addressed in the 2021 model. I too will eventually be upgrading to a Cybertruck so the tow weight in a few years will not be an issue. That being said, I am looking to buy this fall so total weight is somewhat of a concern.
HUDSEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUDSEEZ View Post
Good morning. Thought I would jump in here (first time post and new the forum). I am eyeing a 22FB Caravel to purchase this fall. Currently I will be towing it with a 2018 Toyota Tacoma. Anyone out there purchase the 22ft and if so have any advice on the purchasing process. I have worked, towed and used a number of trailers over the years but have never purchased one

Hearing about the weight is now a bit concerning, but I wonder if that will be addressed in the 2021 model. I too will eventually be upgrading to a Cybertruck so the tow weight in a few years will not be an issue. That being said, I am looking to buy this fall so total weight is somewhat of a concern.


Hi. The trailers coming out of the factory now have a composite floor instead of plywood. This change could impact tongue weight some. I would expect the Tacoma to have no issues, as long as you watch the payload. Figure on 600 lbs plus people plus cargo. As long as you stay under the payload limit you are good. You wonít regret the decision of getting a Caravel.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
PB_NB's Avatar
 
2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 592
Images: 9
Blog Entries: 1
My 2019 22FB has a published weight of 422 lbs (Same as yours). My scales both give me just under 500 lbs. I don't carry any water so I imagine that I would be pushing 600 lbs if I filled the fresh water tank.

You are probably going to see a range from 600 to 700 lbs depending on your load. You could always take one of the propane tanks off and carry it in your TV or fill up your water when you get to the campsite.

Good luck with the Caravel.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 14
Thanks, that is great news. Due to so many revolving circumstances I have inherited my very old friends relatively new Tacoma. This will be my acting tow vehicle for the next 2 years. Once the Cybertruck becomes available I will most likely purchase my own new truck. Love the idea of moving across the country on no gas! My goal is to make sure the Tacoma can handle the load for the next two years while I wait to go electric ����⚡️
HUDSEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #19
New Member
 
whittier , California
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1
2003 Tacoma 6 banger 3.4 4 door cab

Not an expert used to travel with my expidiition Ford with a 22 ft forest. Just bought a bambie sport 2018 22 ft. Going to tow with my Taco just drop a 80 k Me We motor. Anyone help with potential towing issues?
Mario Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
PB_NB's Avatar
 
2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 592
Images: 9
Blog Entries: 1
I would think that a Taco should do fine with the Sport.

Just look into WDH to make sure you can distribute the tongue load to the front axle of the Taco.
__________________

PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
caravel


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow vehicle Tongue Weight vs. Trailer Tongue Weight KeepPedaling Hitches, Couplers & Balls 10 03-23-2016 12:33 PM
1980 Excella (31 Ft) Gross Weight/Tongue weight? jnichols 1981 - 1983 Excella 9 07-23-2011 01:54 PM
Tongue weight and weight distribution Bex Hitches, Couplers & Balls 8 06-06-2010 12:11 PM
Total Weight & Tongue weight of 24' Argosy woody_strohm Our Community 3 12-21-2008 10:25 PM
Tongue weight verses tongue height - level the WD hitch? HowieE Hitches, Couplers & Balls 12 11-17-2007 01:02 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.