Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 2020 And Newer Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Kennesaw , Georgia
2020 Caravel 19cb review

Well we too delivery of our new 19cb Caravel on September the 30th. We took out first trip a week later from Wedowee AL to St George Island FL. This is my first impression of the new Caravel is generally good.

First of all, I have to say that the fit and Finnish on the cabinets IS NOT very good!!! There are way too many sharp edges and crevices where the white lamination surfaces meet. This is a big step down in quality from the previous flying Cloud models.

While I like the sliding doors better than the lift up doors (I am 6'-4" tall) they tend to slide open while towing. I will add a rubber strip to the edge of one door and see if that helps.

I really like the new 12V/120V compressor based refrigerator. It is very efficient and works well while towing. It is a bit odd that the only way to turn it off is to turn the temperature dial all the way counter clockwise until you hear a click. (you can also just hit the battery disconnect switch by the door). I would note that I am 100% sure the plastic pull handle at the top of the door will break off in short order. I would also note that the freezer section us not very tall and this significantly limits what you can put into it.

The larger 29 gallon grey tank and 28 gallon fresh water tank is a welcome upgrade over the pervious Flying cloud models. Also, since the larger water tank is now mounted near the axle there is a new large storage compartment under the port side bench seat.

The deeper pantry is welcome, but it turns the coat hooks into key hooks. Hanging a coat on them is impractical. The dark wood looks good against the white cabinets, but again the fit and Finnish is poor.

In measuring the hitch weight, it came out to 500 lbs empty which is about 50 lbs lighter than what is stated in the manual.

There is NO WAY to play the sound from the DVD/BLUE ray player through the stereo. This seems absurd considering how good the stereo sounds. I corrected this with a HDMI audio splitter and a Blue tooth transmitter for about $50 worth of parts and cables. At some point I will pull the DVD player out and move the HDMI sound splitter to the back of the DVD player. The Stereo has a AUX input but Airstream chose not to hook it to anything and did not expose the left and right AUX sound ports outside the housing. It will be easy to correct, but it is beyond stupid to have to do this on a modern trailer.

I like the new touch operated light switches and dimmers. They work good for the lights you can see. However the one for the LED light strip on the awning is problematic. When it is retracted you cannot tell if it is on or off and it is easy to accidentally touch it to turn it on. It would be better served with the older style switch/dimmer on this light. I would also note that the LED's on the new touch switches are quite bright at night. They make a good night light, but some people may think they are too bright.

I found the rear mattress to be comfortable. However, I am so tall I prefer to sleep on the 91" Front dinette made into a bed. I decided that it needed a little more padding and made a 2" memory foam topper the I roll up and store on the rear bed when not using it. Seemed to work good. My short wife loves the rear bed and it became here personally space as well.

I did like the extra space in the cabinets over and under the refrigerator. The lower one now goes up and over the wheel well, It was the perfect place for our toaster. I like using it outside to bake vs heating up the cabin.

In conclusion I really like the trailer over all, but it is my first Airstream and I am obvious disappointed with the fish and Finnish and the silly whay they installed the sound/entertainment system. Given the price tag, I am not sure I would recommend this Airstream model to anyone. I can easily correct the minor flaws, but should I really have to at this price point????
sranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Sranger, congratulations on your new Caravelle and welcome to the Airstream community! Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts on the new model. You’re spot-on about the flaws - one should not have to deal with them.

Most of us have similar experiences with issues, some more than others. Once you get past them and start to enjoy your trailer, you’ll appreciate the Airstream experience. Hope to see you out on the road!

Jeff & Caryle McCaffrey
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
The JL audio master stereo has an aux input that is unused. However it is for RCA jacks. The Sony blue ray player does not have RCA outputs. Only digital coaxial. You can buy a digital or analog converter for about 20 bucks Amazon. Pull the JL out and you can reach behind the Sony without removing it. The converter will fit in the cabinet on top of the Sony player.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Kennesaw , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
The JL audio master stereo has an aux input that is unused. However it is for RCA jacks. The Sony blue ray player does not have RCA outputs. Only digital coaxial. You can buy a digital or analog converter for about 20 bucks Amazon. Pull the JL out and you can reach behind the Sony without removing it. The converter will fit in the cabinet on top of the Sony player.
Thanks for the tip!

I am going to use the HDMI audio splitter I already have. I got this in the day before our first trip as a temporary solution. I have this setup now in the back of the trailer with the audio output of the HDMI splitter going into to the input of a blue tooth transmitter to connect to the stereo via bluetooth. The parts were under $20 from Amazon and currently charge from the US ports where the TV is located. It was the best I could do given one day's notice.

I'll probably take the time to take the box out and run the AUX inputs from the stereo and the HDMI splitter outputs to ports on the front of the box along with the HDMI connector from the splitter. That way I can run the HDMI outputs and the AUDIO outputs out the door so that we can watch movies outside the trailer using a Hi-Def Projector and speaker for an outdoor movie night. When I want to watch inside, I'll just plug in RCA jumper wires and the HDMI cable that runs to the back TV.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Sounds like a good plan also. If you need to remove the JL it’s easy. Just pop off the trim then 4 screws. The DVD player is held in place by 2 sided tape.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Kennesaw , Georgia
Quote:
Sounds like a good plan also. If you need to remove the JL it’s easy. Just pop off the trim then 4 screws. The DVD player is held in place by 2 sided tape.
Thanks, that tip will help me when I dig into it...
Old 10-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Dallas , tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post
While I like the sliding doors better than the lift up doors (I am 6'-4" tall) they tend to slide open while towing. I will add a rubber strip to the edge of one door and see if that helps.
They sell a clear sliding door catch or lock for baby proofing. Does 4 cabinets. This might work for you.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HVD52VA

Another style: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0714BLGCR/

If you want to secure them from kids or guests, they also sell showcase locks
https://www.amazon.com/Sliding-Ratch.../dp/B01EXQYEEO
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Seattle , WA
light switch above battery disconnect

We also took a delivery of 2020 Caravel 19CB in August from a dealership in Oregon. There are 2 light switch just above battery disconnect, and wondering the function of the left switch. The right one control the ceiling lights but I still can't figure out the left switch. Let me know if you know.

Thanks!
Latte-Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Outside porch or step light.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Kennesaw , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte-Mocha View Post
We also took a delivery of 2020 Caravel 19CB in August from a dealership in Oregon. There are 2 light switch just above battery disconnect, and wondering the function of the left switch. The right one control the ceiling lights but I still can't figure out the left switch. Let me know if you know. The

Thanks!
The one to the left is the awning LED light. The one below the two is the step light.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Los Angeles , California
I have the same model. Absolutely agree on the awning switch and sharp edges throughout the coach. To the cons, I’d also add that the cabinets all slam shut with a very high pitched sound. I’ve helped this by adding some foam bumpers. Don’t have a solution for the light. Adding small trays to the pantry and cabinets sure help with organizing and to keep things from sliding every which way during tow. I almost regretted not getting the 20’ until I saw the very narrow hallway in it vs out more “open” layout. We’ve used ours quite a bunch and we do love it.
BullShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Welcome to the airstream family!

My understanding is that the new Caravel line is a step or two above the sport line which it and Bambi replace, with the Caravel being a half a step up from the Bambi. The Flying cloud line still exists and is evidently the next step up.

I sympathize with the poor fit and finish your coach exhibits. It will not comfort you to know that many other new owners have had similar experiences, but the good news is most of these annoying flaws and imperfections can be fixed.

Another cheap and easy way to secure the sliding doors in your overhead cabinets during transit is to simply cut some wooden dowel rods to length and place them in the sliding door trays before travel.
Attaching a ribbon of tape to one end of the dowel rod makes for quick and easy extraction.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4740.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	363866 Slinding doors opening? Pool noodles to the rescue! Attach through the hole in the back door[emoji6]
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #14
Capt Squid

2020 22' Caravel
Key Largo , Florida
After living half a century in earth quake country and aboard boats baby latches are a way of life. They keep the cabinet doors closed but aren't much help keeping the contents organized.
captsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:38 PM   #15

Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Well we too delivery of our new 19cb Caravel on September the 30th. We took out first trip a week later from Wedowee AL to St George Island FL. This is my first impression of the new Caravel is generally good.

First of all, I have to say that the fit and Finnish on the cabinets IS NOT very good!!! There are way too many sharp edges and crevices where the white lamination surfaces meet. This is a big step down in quality from the previous flying Cloud models.

I really like the new 12V/120V compressor based refrigerator. It is very efficient and works well while towing. It is a bit odd that the only way to turn it off is to turn the temperature dial all the way counter clockwise until you hear a click. (you can also just hit the battery disconnect switch by the door). I would note that I am 100% sure the plastic pull handle at the top of the door will break off in short order. I would also note that the freezer section us not very tall and this significantly limits what you can put into it.

The larger 29 gallon grey tank and 28 gallon fresh water tank is a welcome upgrade over the pervious Flying cloud models. Also, since the larger water tank is now mounted near the axle there is a new large storage compartment under the port side bench seat.

The deeper pantry is welcome, but it turns the coat hooks into key hooks. Hanging a coat on them is impractical. The dark wood looks good against the white cabinets, but again the fit and Finnish is poor.

In measuring the hitch weight, it came out to 500 lbs empty which is about 50 lbs lighter than what is stated in the manual.

There is NO WAY to play the sound from the DVD/BLUE ray player through the stereo. This seems absurd considering how good the stereo sounds. I corrected this with a HDMI audio splitter and a Blue tooth transmitter for about $50 worth of parts and cables. At some point I will pull the DVD player out and move the HDMI sound splitter to the back of the DVD player. The Stereo has a AUX input but Airstream chose not to hook it to anything and did not expose the left and right AUX sound ports outside the housing. It will be easy to correct, but it is beyond stupid to have to do this on a modern trailer.

I like the new touch operated light switches and dimmers. They work good for the lights you can see. However the one for the LED light strip on the awning is problematic. When it is retracted you cannot tell if it is on or off and it is easy to accidentally touch it to turn it on. It would be better served with the older style switch/dimmer on this light. I would also note that the LED's on the new touch switches are quite bright at night. They make a good night light, but some people may think they are too bright.

I found the rear mattress to be comfortable. However, I am so tall I prefer to sleep on the 91" Front dinette made into a bed. I decided that it needed a little more padding and made a 2" memory foam topper the I roll up and store on the rear bed when not using it. Seemed to work good. My short wife loves the rear bed and it became here personally space as well.

I did like the extra space in the cabinets over and under the refrigerator. The lower one now goes up and over the wheel well, It was the perfect place for our toaster. I like using it outside to bake vs heating up the cabin.

In conclusion I really like the trailer over all, but it is my first Airstream and I am obvious disappointed with the fish and Finnish and the silly whay they installed the sound/entertainment system. Given the price tag, I am not sure I would recommend this Airstream model to anyone. I can easily correct the minor flaws, but should I really have to at this price point????
I just bought (two weeks ago) 19cb caravel - cant agree with you more on your points. My door knobs on the bathroom split door have striped out, will have to replace with a through the door type handle. I have a couple pieces of wood trim cracked and now see the glue where they band aided the issue. A few other issues as well like the pump pulling air at 20 percent full etc. No issues when connected to city water. -- at a 50k plus price point you bet they should NOT HAVE these simple issues leaving the factory before delivery...it will be going back for warranty work for sure.
WillBeTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Kennesaw , Georgia
Quote:
I finally got around to fixing the audio. I wanted to say thanks. Your notes really helped make this a simple upgrade.

I installed one of the converters that you mentioned. It replaced a HDMI splitter and bluetooth transmitter that I was using in the rear by the TV with much annoyance. About one half of the time the adapter would not pair properly with the stereo.

I ran the AUX RCA input cables and the Audio Out RCA cable from the Sony Player through the hole in the top and plugged them into the Coaxial converter. This way I have access to the AUX inputs outside the enclosure. I used a little double sided tape to attach the converter to the top of the housing.

I noted that it can be powered from the USB input without using the AC adapter if you are willing to give up the USB input on the side of the enclousure. I decide to use the AC adapter so the USB Input on the side of the housing could still be used to charger my phone.

I would also note the you need to set the Sony Blueray player's Audio setting to "PCM" vs the default "AUTO" as many DVD's audio flake out on the "Auto" setting do nothing but click and buzz. I thought this tip might help others.

This is the unit I used, but I suspect any Coaxial to RCA converters would work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XC42GZR..._k4mTEbFWTGX2Y
Old 09-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Bernardino , California
Quote:

Hello sranger. I too own a ranger xlt fx4 and I am curious what your impression was or is of using it as tow vehicle? I am looking at the 16 or 19 and my concern is going down hill with the added weight of a 19. Thanks.
highdesert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Aloha , Oregon
I can tell you that our 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 with tow package hauled our 2014 AS19 CCD over Teton Pass in April with no problem up or down. The engine braking provided by the tow package works well. Just make sure your trailer brakes are set up properly.
PeterDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:35 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDB View Post
I can tell you that our 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 with tow package hauled our 2014 AS19 CCD over Teton Pass in April with no problem up or down. The engine braking provided by the tow package works well. Just make sure your trailer brakes are set up properly.
Thank you. I am thinking about either a 16 or 19 and its good to know the Ranger can tow either without a problem. Pros and cons for these two trailers and the wet bath in the 16 is the primary reason we are considering a 19.
highdesert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:18 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Kennesaw , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesert03 View Post
Thank you. I am thinking about either a 16 or 19 and its good to know the Ranger can tow either without a problem. Pros and cons for these two trailers and the wet bath in the 16 is the primary reason we are considering a 19.
The Ranger tows the trailer fine up and down hill.

I would have the 16 if it did not have a combined grey/black tank. I prefer that they be separate. Otherwise I would prefer the smaller camper. However the main towing is wind resistance not weight between these two trailers. The frontal area is similar.

I did a full review of towing with the ranger here.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ml#post2287548

Tags
caravel