Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Nest > Nest 2018 - Current
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Park City , Utah
Weight Distributing Hitch for Nest?

Has anyone found a WD Hitch for a nest that fits without modifying fiberglass?
NTSJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Park City , Utah
So I guess that’s a no
Old 12-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Can't imagine you would need one. What is the tongue weight? What are you towing it with?
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Park City , Utah
Not so much for the tongue weight, just looking for a level ride. In my experience (admittedly dated) even a small trailer will cause the back of the TV to sag. Or is there a better, easier option?
I have a new Ranger on order
Old 12-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, once the Ranger is on board, measure the distance to the ground from all four wheel wells, hook it up and see how much changes.

If significant, a basic Reese type w/d hitch otherwise carry on...
Dismissive cat
Old 12-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Park City , Utah
So, that’s the problem, haven’t found a WD hitch yet that doesn’t interfere with the fiberglass battery/LP cover. Just trying to get out in front, won’t see the Ranger until March.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, if you can't get a w/d hitch that will clear the cover, you could use air bags on the Ranger to level it...
Dismissive cat
Old 02-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Jamestown , Ohio
I was in Jackson Center for warranty work on my Nest and talked to the tech about a WD hitch. He installed a WD hitch on a Nest for the marketing department that bolted on to the A Frame and did not interfere with the nose cone covers. He tried to track down the manufacturer, but it had been to long since it was ordered to find in their system. He did say the marketing folks were impressed with the improvement in handling. You may have seen pictures of the setup. The TV is a white Porsche Crossover.

We also talked air bags as being helpful also.
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
2019 Nest
buzzkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
Jim C

Currently Looking...
Affton , Missouri
I’m new to travel trailers, the Nest and WD hitches but here are links to a few photos. None are very close but might give a clue to someone in the know.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-lif...m-nest-trailer

https://www.airstream.com/blog/endle...aura-austin-4/

Hope this helps.
Clawsonjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Any trailer, even lighter ones like the nest can benefit from a WD hitch.

The autoweek article WD hitch looks very much like an Equalizer. I'm familiar with it as I use one on my larger AS. The two bolt heads at the top of the L bars on the tongue give it away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nestwd1.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	335250

Name:	nestwd2.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	335255

Name:	equalizerwd.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	335252

The airstream blog article one is using a Reese Dual Cam type variant. Interesting enough...looks like they're not using the cam function, just the WD and friction anti-sway which honestly would be sufficient.

Name:	nestwd3.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	335251

Name:	reesedualcam.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	335253
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:15 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Brevard , North Carolina
Just picked up our Nest 2 weeks ago. After speaking with Patrick at Colonial Airstream, I just hitched the Nest to my Audi Q5 diesel, hooked up the 7 pin connection, balanced the wireless Prodigy brake controller and drove 750 miles home. Absolutely no problems without a weight distribution system.
Of course, this will vary with your vehicle and making sure not to exceed tongue weight and Nest load limits.
I would say hook it up and try it. You can always get an equalizer system later
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Jamestown , Ohio
Weight Distributing Hitch for Nest?

Update on my hitches... I went up to Jackson Center today for warranty work and installation of the Blue Ox SwayPro hitch. Things did not go well... I had ordered the bolt on cams for the Blue Ox, but those puppies are huge. It was not possible to bolt them to A Frame. What I had not noticed, there is a pan the propane tank sits inside. If the cam was mounted high enough to clear the pan, the fiberglass nose was an issue. Mounted low enough to avoid the nose, the pan is an issue.

But, all is not lost. Airstream has worked with Reese and developed a Reese hitch that will work on the Nest. At the moment, I don’t know if it available outside of Airstream.

The good news is what a difference it made. The Nest tracked my Colorado like it was on rails. Even over rough roads there was no suggestion of sway. I am very impressed.

I just beat the storms home. When the weather permits, I will take a few pics and posted them.
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
2019 Nest
Old 06-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill58 View Post
Update on my hitches... I went up to Jackson Center today for warranty work and installation of the Blue Ox SwayPro hitch. Things did not go well... I had ordered the bolt on cams for the Blue Ox, but those puppies are huge. It was not possible to bolt them to A Frame. What I had not noticed, there is a pan the propane tank sits inside. If the cam was mounted high enough to clear the pan, the fiberglass nose was an issue. Mounted low enough to avoid the nose, the pan is an issue.

But, all is not lost. Airstream has worked with Reese and developed a Reese hitch that will work on the Nest. At the moment, I don’t know if it available outside of Airstream.

The good news is what a difference it made. The Nest tracked my Colorado like it was on rails. Even over rough roads there was no suggestion of sway. I am very impressed.

I just beat the storms home. When the weather permits, I will take a few pics and posted them.
Thanks, so you got it at the dealer, love to see your pictures and any other details.

I’ve been pulling mine on the ball for a few short trips, and it’s been fine. The new ‘19 Ranger seems very capable and comfortable. Longer trips starting in July.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Jamestown , Ohio
This is what the Reese hitch with the Nest compatible plates look like:

Name:	1EC31E12-CCCB-41D4-94B2-A6EBB973A75B.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	753.2 KB
ID:	344130

Name:	3584C147-3338-49BD-A444-720EC99D0FDF.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	588.8 KB
ID:	344131
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
2019 Nest
Old 09-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Brevard , North Carolina
Just completed 5 week /3000 mile trip in the Nest. Full length of Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive, mountains of NH, Maine coast, Quebec City, upstate NY, WV mountains including gravel and Interstate. Audi Q5 diesel-no Weight distribution system and no issues towing. A lot of the time we forget it is back there it is so smooth.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	352362
Old 02-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #16
New Airstream User

2019 Nest
PENSACOLA , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoff View Post
Just completed 5 week /3000 mile trip in the Nest. Full length of Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive, mountains of NH, Maine coast, Quebec City, upstate NY, WV mountains including gravel and Interstate. Audi Q5 diesel-no Weight distribution system and no issues towing. A lot of the time we forget it is back there it is so smooth.Attachment 352362
Just curious if you guys ever dealt with your car porposing up and down while towing. I just got a nest and pulled it for the first time yesterday, and while it towed easily, I felt as if my truck was porposing up and down some while driving.

Also did you guys lose a lot of MPG while towing your nest? I have a big Ram 1500 and I figured it wouldn't make much of a difference at all but I went from like 17 mpg down to 11 mpg while towing, and just wondering if anyone else has had that same issue.
Blount-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Brevard , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blount-Force View Post
Just curious if you guys ever dealt with your car porposing up and down while towing. I just got a nest and pulled it for the first time yesterday, and while it towed easily, I felt as if my truck was porposing up and down some while driving.

Also did you guys lose a lot of MPG while towing your nest? I have a big Ram 1500 and I figured it wouldn't make much of a difference at all but I went from like 17 mpg down to 11 mpg while towing, and just wondering if anyone else has had that same issue.

An occasional porpoising is not unusual. If it is the norm, you might have a problem. I would think your truck would not have a weight distribution issue. My Audi didn’t.
As for MPG. My diesel Audi went from 36 MPG to 17-19 MPG pulling the Nest. I think that is both the weight of the Nest and the wind resistance.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Long Beach , California
Hitch Height

Can anyone tell me the hitch height when the nest is level? Trying to make sure i get the right receiver installed before we go pick up our nest. Thanks!
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump View Post
Can anyone tell me the hitch height when the nest is level? Trying to make sure i get the right receiver installed before we go pick up our nest. Thanks!
I went with the Weigh Safe 6" adjustable. (gives you 6" up and 6" down) I can use it on many different trailers with different hitch heights. Also came with 2 ball sizes to add to the versatility of the hitch.

I like the tongue weight scale as well, takes the guess work out of it.

Our setup is a Sport 22FB and a Honda Ridgeline. When we picked up the Sport, the trailer was sitting high in the rear and the Honda was squatting a bit.

I popped the height adjustment pin and moved the hitch up an inch in less than a minute and levelled out the trailer. The Honda was actually more level than I was used to so it worked out well. It sits a bit high in the rear when unloaded.

We aren't running a WDH at the moment and I am on the fence as to if I really need one. The Sport pulls so well and seems very stable.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump View Post
When our 2019 NEST 16U is parked & leveled, the base of the hitch is 15" above the pavement. The top of the receiver on our BMW X5 is 15.5" above the pavement when unloaded. When the X5 is loaded for camping and the NEST is attached, the rear of the X5 is a little lower.

BeSerious
BeSerious is offline   Reply With Quote