Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Nest > Nest 2018 - Current
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Wannabe Nester Question

We are seriously interested in buying an Airstream Nest 16U. We’ve read the brochure cover to cover, studied the photos, viewed lots of videos, checked out a 16FB model at a dealer and read all the posts in this forum. But we are complete RV Trailer camping novices and still have lots of questions. The most important one…

Is the Nest appropriate for the full range of the camping trips (2 nights > 2 months) in our “idea” list?

Background Info & “idea” list…
We are retired 70 somethings and would like to do a little RVing, towing the Nest with our 2009 BMW X5 35d (6 cyl turbo diesel).

We prefer camping close to nature in State/National Parks with scenic trails for birding, wildlife observation, etc.. So our “idea” is to start with short 2-3 night trips to nearby Texas State Parks. Move up to 2-3 week trips to more distant National Parks (e.g. Big Bend). Then go for longer 1-2 month trips to National Parks, etc. in the SW (e.g. Grand Canyon, Canyon Lands, etc.).

We plan to travel mainly in the Spring/Fall for more moderate weather and hopefully less crowded camp grounds. We expect to prepare/eat most meals in the Nest or a camp table gas grill outside. Wash up with camp grounds water. Shower mostly in camp ground facilities when available. We don’t anticipate “dry camping” except when we can’t get a spot with water and electricity. And we don’t plan in stay in any one spot more than a few days.

Thanks in advance for your answers/advise/experiences.
BeSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Wannabe Nester Question

That unit will feel small in a hurry. We started in a17 foot Casita, then moved to a 23 foot Oliver (great trailer but too small), 28 foot AS International, and now our absolutely perfect 2007 Classic 31. Think about how fit you both are. Can you kneel, bend, and crawl around without pain? Put yourself in a weather situation where you spend time inside. Is the unit comfy? The Nest is a small unit and IMHO not suited for long term camping. A lot of dollars for a weekend camper. Start with a used Casita and see how you like camping. There are plenty listed on Fiberglass RV and pretty easy to sell.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
That unit will feel small in a hurry. ... Start with a used Casita and see how you like camping.
Thanks for posting your experiences with trailer size. And your recommendation of a used Casita, as a lower cost alternative to learn how willing we are to camp out of a small trailer.

We are pretty good about researching and buying things new. But horrible at buying used or selling them. That’s why we are trying hard to research our “idea” and purchase, so we don’t end up owning a small travel trailer that we hardly ever use. So we will look for opportunities to rent a small trailer to test our willingness to “camp & travel small”.

We’d love to hear the stories of Nesters and how they use their Nest.

More background…
The main reasons for us to camp out of a small trailer, rather than just stay at a nearby hotel/motel, are,
- reducing the travel time to/from a park’s “attractions” each day,
- the flexibility to take an afternoon nap (on check out/in days),
- enjoying the park after hours.

Our travel/camping “idea” includes our current BMW X5 35d as the tow vehicle. So we aren’t interested in any trailer that requires buying a different tow vehicle.

Thanks again for your insights.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Jamestown , Ohio
Wannabe Nester Question

Hi... I have a Nest 16U. My experience in the past has been tent camping and a small truck camper. For me, the Nest seem like a huge up grade.

First things first, dig out the manual for your BMW and look up the tow weight and tongue weight it will handle. If it is less than 4000lbs and 375lbs, the Nest will not work for you. After that, look up the rear axle max load and think about what you will carry in your BMW plus the tongue weight. If you are good there, you should be ok with towing a Nest.

Consider doing a little dry camping. Look into a Zamp solar panel or small generator. If you are willing to do a bit of dry camping, you will open up options for State Parks and National Parks.

I love my Nest... The fiberglass roof limits some of the mods you can do, but otherwise you can make it your home away from home.
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
2019 Nest
buzzkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill58 View Post
First things first, dig out the manual for your BMW and look up the tow weight and tongue weight it will handle. ....Look into a Zamp solar panel...
Thanks for your experience and suggestions.

Our BMW X5 35d with a BMW hitch and wiring has 6,000# tow and 600# tongue weight capacities. These figures go down a bit with a passenger and cargo, But even then, it should be comfortably above the Nest’s 4,000# and 375# requirements.

I was checking out the portable Zamp solar panels but got bogged down calculating the wattage needed. Which panel are you using? And are you happy with that capacity?

BTW are the USB ports run off of the batteries or shore power?

Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Jamestown , Ohio
Wannabe Nester Question

Hi... Zamp has a nice sizing chat that shows trailer size, batteries, what style camping you want to do. I ended up with the 140w panel.

The USB ports are powered by the house batteries. Just about everything in the Nest is powered by the house batteries. The big exception is the Dometic HVAC and the fridge when you are on shore power. There are no accessible 12v outlets... a future mod I am looking into.
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
2019 Nest
buzzkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill58 View Post
...There are no accessible 12v outlets... a future mod I am looking into.
Thanks again for the info.

Airstream seems to have missed a trick with the lack of a 12V power outlet. But it may be a pretty easy fix by just replacing the 4 USB port wall outlet on the fridge wall with one that includes 2 USB ports and a std round 12V outlet in the same size package. Amazon lists one for $21.95 — Magnadyne White Wall Mount 2 USB Charging Ports and 12V Power Outlet included with Wall Plate

https://www.amazon.com/Magnadyne-Whi...WG3NN3XMTZV3BJ
Old 07-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
We’re heading out tomorrow afternoon to pick up our 2019 NEST 16U Monday AM. We’’ll have a 180 mile drive back home. So we’d like to be sure that we will be able to get down a very steep section of our 1,000ft driveway when we get back home. The potential problem is dragging some part of the low slung undercarriage in the quick change in slope at the top and/or base of the steepest section of our driveway.

I’ve tried to estimate the clearances using a photo from the NEST sales brochure. The attached image shows the area (translucent gray) that is “safe” from dragging assuming my estimated measurements. But I’d love to have more accurate measurements (when the NEST is level front to back) for:
1 - the height to the top of the frame (i.e. the base of the fiberglass) ≈ 1’ 7 1/8”?
2 - the height to the base of the V shaped brackets between the wheels and the rear of the NEST ≈1’ 7/8”?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEST Clearance.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	345636