Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Nest > Nest 2018 - Current
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
, Michigan
Thoughts/ experiences with NEST

I’m curious if anyone has an experience or info on the build quality of the Airstream Nest. I know they were discontinued in 2020. I have an opportunity to purchase a very lightly used 2020 Airstream Nest, but I’m a little nervous. I’ve heard of some issues with its gel coat cracking, fiberglass structure not done correctly. Also concerned about resale value dropping dramatically.

I do love the way it looks, and I’m happy with the specs.

Thanks!
PureMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might use the blue Google box at the top of this page to do a search here.

I believe there was a lot of discussion about these when they first came out.

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 02-19-2021, 10:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureMI View Post
I’m curious if anyone has an experience or info on the build quality of the Airstream Nest. I know they were discontinued in 2020. I have an opportunity to purchase a very lightly used 2020 Airstream Nest, but I’m a little nervous. I’ve heard of some issues with its gel coat cracking, fiberglass structure not done correctly. Also concerned about resale value dropping dramatically.

Thanks!
Yes, there's loads of information on this forum. The Facebook Nest group might also be worth a look. I enjoy both! We love our Nest and have had very few issues with it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/372975559973384
Tamarack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:

Thanks!
So I guess you have read the longest thread in this Nest sub-forum?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ts-183330.html

FYI the forum thread list -- sorted by "Reply Count" -- https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ort=replycount

Per Maggie's suggestion . . . "Nest build quality" posts on AirForums.com:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nest...=airforums.com

"Nest gel coat" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=Nest...=airforums.com

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ed-208631.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f36...es-195445.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...em-197156.html

Good luck.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Louisa , Virginia
Nest value

Quote:

Thanks!
I think it will become a classic and maintain its value very well. If you look at the forum you will see that all the problems have been addressed. Most can be DIY fixes and you have 3yrs to bug a dealer for the rest.
5 Star Custom Tune
Louisa, Virginia
love nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Santa Fe , New Mexico
We love our Nest! We had the issue with the leaking front window and the entrance door lost a hinge pin on our second trip. A few other minor issues on inside, but all have been fixed by Albuquerque Airstream. ABQ Airstream is wonderful, by the way, if you live in the southwest. Join the Facebook group and you'll see lots of info and there are others like you looking to buy. From discussions there, it doesn't sound like it's losing value. Ours is the FB. We chose it as bed comfort was a must for us. We have ours parked in the drive and our adult children use it as their bedroom when they visit. Everyone loves how cosy it is. Good luck. You won't regret it!
janesnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #7

2019 Nest
Bismarck , North Dakota
Quote:

Thanks!
I owned a NEST for two camping seasons - through summer 2020. Only problem I had with it were a few build-quality issues that I fixed myself with minor expense. Otherwise this little gem was a rock-solid camper. Liked the durability of the fiberglass shell! FYI, the wife and I bought the NEST during a 'downsizing' move from an old class-A unit, but found the space in the little Airstreamer was a bit too cramped for us. So, we upgraded to a bit larger Airstream - a new 27FB. But it had some "build issues" as well; again I was able to work through them with little expense and now have a very nice, roomy, comfortable camper. But if the NEXT has enough room for you, it would likely serve you well. It really is a neat looking RV - and tows easily and is extremely stable with no towbar extras needed.
Allu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:36 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
How Long Will Nest Last?

Watch carefully for tiny, hairline cracks at stress points like corners, bends and any place where the fiberglass was cut to install entry/exit points for vents and appliances. This will be noticed first in the gel coat and may be harbinger of problems deeper down.

As some long-time boat owners know, the quality of the lay-up process can have markedly different effects on how long any fiberglass product will last. Too fast a cure time (pushing out product to meet a deadline) results in a brittle structure; too little, strength and resiliency problems. Inexperience in building anything fiberglass may show up right away and some problems may take a few years to make themselves known. Did AS keep the same processes in place throughout Nests' production run or did they strive for continual improvement?

If you have access to covered storage, opt for that or if not, a good quality cover for your Nest as UV rays will dull the gelcoat finish. Regular washing/waxing will help as well. If you do see any minor cracks in the gelcoat, repair these immediately to prevent their escalation.

As with any RV, watching for and immediately remedying any problems will be your best defense. Given the same care, your Nest should be set for the long-term!
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
, Michigan
I really appreciate everyone’s input. I was going to be paying 36,500 for a 2020. Is that a good price?
PureMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Price

36,500 is a steal! I’ve not seen one for under 40,000.
janesnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:59 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Tucson , AZ
2019 Nest FB

I've owned this is since new and Airstream has been fabulous to work with. I also want to compliment WeAre Airstream, the dealer in Phoenix. I've had some minor issues and all have been addressed to my satisfaction. I love the trailer and Airstream is a quality organization that stands behind their products. Our trailer has traveled cross country, is so easy to tow with an SUV and is so comfortable.
Clarke318 is offline   Reply With Quote