Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Nest > Nest 2018 - Current
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
ST Petersburg , Florida
No Battery Power When Boondocking

My 2019 Nest does not have power (no lights, no frige) unless plugged in to shore power. I checked the 2 batteries and they are charged. I checked the fuses I can find (on converter) and they all look fine.

Any suggestions?
CampNest2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Does the Nest have a Use/Store switch?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
Nokomis , Florida
There's a battery disconnect switch. Has anyone heard of their battery disconnect switch going bad? Anyone know if it's hard to replace?
Jenfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
The "Battery Disconnect" Switch is somewhat confusingly labeled "Master Disconnect" on the actual switch.

The NEST owner's manual on Page 5-8 says...
"Battery Disconnect Switch

The battery disconnect switch is used to separate the batteries from the 12-volt distribution panel and converter charging system.

When the switch is turned to ON and the trailer is plugged into an external AC power source, the 12-volt distribution panel will receive power from the converter and the batteries will be charged through the converter charging system.

When the switch is turned to OFF and the trailer is plugged into an external AC power source, the 12- volt distribution panel will still receive power from the converter, but the batteries are disconnected from the system. The batteries will not be drained with the switch in the OFF position. The converter will not charge the batteries with the switch in this position.

The charge in the 12-volt batteries can be replenished, depending on the tow vehicle, from the tow vehicle alternator through the 7-way cord. This charge will flow to the batteries regardless of the battery disconnect switch position. Likewise, if on or off, a solar panel will still charge the batteries if connected"

IOW the "Master Disconnect" switch must be ON for the batteries to be connected to the converter.

BeSerious
BeSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
ST Petersburg , Florida
No electricity when Master Disconnect is ON

The master disconnect is ON and still no power for lights, frige and Nest batteries are fully charged. Maybe it is a bad master disconnect?
Old 03-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Carefully read page 5-8 of the manual.
1) There is a 50Amp breaker on the lead (battery) side of the Disconnect Switch, it may be tripped.
2) The manual indicates the disconnect switch controls a relay, I think this is an error as the switch itself is rated well above 50Amp
3) As others indicated the switch could be bad, I doubt it as it is very simple, but who knows anything is possible.
4) The manual and wiring diagrams don't indicate there are any other fuses or components prior to the distribution bus and branch fuses so the only other issue would be loose or disconnected wiring both positive and negative.
5) Check the battery voltage display, if it works and is accurate, there are likely good connections from the batteries to the + and ground (-) buses so any issue would be between those buses and the distribution panel.

Good luck
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNest2019 View Post
My 2019 Nest does not have power (no lights, no frige) unless plugged in to shore power. I checked the 2 batteries and they are charged. I checked the fuses I can find (on converter) and they all look fine.

Any suggestions?
Hi CampNest2019,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 03-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #8
New Airstream User

2019 Nest
PENSACOLA , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNest2019 View Post
The master disconnect is ON and still no power for lights, frige and Nest batteries are fully charged. Maybe it is a bad master disconnect?
Ironically I am having the exact same issue and was about to post about this. I have a brand new nest (2019 but still new) and for some reason, when it's not plugged in, I have absolutely no power. I have ensured that the master disconnect switch is turned to on, and I ensured that my batteries were full with distilled water (not sure if that mattered but they actually were a little low on the water which I just topped off last night.)

The nest battery power will turn on if it's plugged into either my house power or into my trucks power, and the battery reading will read as if the batteries are full. I am not sure what to do about this other than to take it to the dealership for them to try to figure out.

I am open to any and all options on how to get this resolved as it's very frustrating.
Blount-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #9
New Airstream User

2019 Nest
PENSACOLA , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi CampNest2019,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
If a resolution to this issue is found could you please share it to this page? I feel like there are probably several of us with the same issue. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
blount-force, I had a close look at the 12VDC wiring diagram provided in your manual page 8-14. The battery connects to a previously unmentioned 50A breaker and then to the copper power bus. Likewise the Tow Vehicle connects to a 30A breaker and then the bus and the power feed from the bus passes through yet another and previously mentioned 50A breaker and on to the disconnect switch. there is a forth 40A breaker for the hitch Brake-Away disconnect circuit.

Since it works with shore and tow vehicle power, I infer the battery breaker is tripped. Find these four breakers and the bus and reset the battery 50A breaker and you should be good to go.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:35 PM   #11
New Airstream User

2019 Nest
PENSACOLA , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
blount-force, I had a close look at the 12VDC wiring diagram provided in your manual page 8-14. The battery connects to a previously unmentioned 50A breaker and then to the copper power bus. Likewise the Tow Vehicle connects to a 30A breaker and then the bus and the power feed from the bus passes through yet another and previously mentioned 50A breaker and on to the disconnect switch. there is a forth 40A breaker for the hitch Brake-Away disconnect circuit.

Since it works with shore and tow vehicle power, I infer the battery breaker is tripped. Find these four breakers and the bus and reset the battery 50A breaker and you should be good to go.
I will try this as soon as I get home from work. I greatly appreciate the recommendation. I will keep everyone on this post updated if this works, and I will also include pictures if I happen to find the breaker being tripped.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Quote:

In the diagram on page 8-14 (center) there is reference to 2 - 50amp breakers (CB1 and CB2) but I did not find them.

FWIW the attachments include the wiring diagram, the WFCO WF-8955PEC panel, the WFCO WF-8955PEC without the cover, and the WFCO WF-8955PEC wiring diagram

BeSerious
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12V Wiring.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	362552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9314.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	362553  

Name:	IMG_9901.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	362554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9903.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	362555  

BeSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The breakers to which I refer are 12VDC breakers located in the 12V battery bus area. Your photos are of the 120VAC / 12VDC power distribution panel. the Nest manual on page 5-8 tells us the four breakers I mention are located under the bed.

All 12-Volt current comes through the battery system
in the front of your trailer. Two batteries are accessible
in the nose cone storage box on the A-frame of your
trailer. Power from the batteries goes to a set of four
Type 2 thermal breakers located under the front bed.
The breakers are tied together by a brass bus bar.
One breaker (30amp) protects the 12-Volt tow vehicle
charge line coming from the 7-way cord. Another
breaker (20amp) feeds the trailer brakes breakaway
switch located near the hitch coupler. A 50amp breaker
feeds the battery disconnect relay. The current leaves
the relay and travels to the 12-Volt distribution panel
located in the converter, and then to the rest of the
trailer.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
ST Petersburg , Florida
Here are pics of the electrical system under the front bed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB_Elec_Pic1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	362563   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_Elec_Pic2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	362564  

Name:	FB_Elec_Pic3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	362565  
Old 03-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #15
New Airstream User

2019 Nest
PENSACOLA , Florida
@Campnest were you able to locate the breaker in yours and if so did that fix it?
Old 03-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Yeah so the breakers are integral to the bus bar on the left with the two large red wires the purple/blue with yellow crimp connector and the black with yellow crimp connector. The top red is the battery feed. I don't know how to reset those. I will go search for some info on that.....

update: Okay they auto reset by cycling power. so either lift the wire on the top breaker or disconnect the negatives at the batteries.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #17
New Airstream User

2019 Nest
PENSACOLA , Florida
Quote:
Yeah so the breakers are integral to the bus bar on the left with the two large red wires the purple/blue with yellow crimp connector and the black with yellow crimp connector. The top red is the battery feed. I don't know how to reset those. I will go search for some info on that.....

update: Okay they auto reset by cycling power. so either lift the wire on the top breaker or disconnect the negatives at the batteries.
You'd think they would make an easier way to do that, like with just a switch or something.. I'm gonna have to hold off and let the dealership do it as I personally don't feel comfortable messing with those wires. Definitely appreciate your expertise and I hope that is what my issue is.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Fair and I respect that. Do consider just lifting the negatives from your two batteries. It may save you a few hours at the dealer. Mine is an hour a way.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
ST Petersburg , Florida
Thank you! I'll try lifting the wires from the negatives. Should I do one battery at a time or both batteries at same time?
Old 03-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The Batteries are wired in parallel so you will have to have them both removed to cycle power from the system. It does not matter which you begin with.

I hope this works! It looks like the most likely explanation for the issue. Do you also get working circuits when connected to the tow vehicle?