Old 08-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
NMR
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
TWO HARBORS , MN
Nest Front Window Leaking

Hi All -- I originally posted this on the community page, but have since found this Nest forum so am reposting. Thanks to everyone for posting their issues, fixes, and thoughts -- it's been helpful reading these.

I've had various issues with my 2020 nest (purchased in May, picked up in June). Most have been fixed by the dealer -- airstream has not been much help. My Nest is currently back at the dealership for a third fix on the front window --- it leaks. Has anyone else had this issue? (The dealer fixes the window, pressure tests it fully, and then after road use it seems to loosen up and leak again -- they are peeling off the inside to take a closer look at it. They are also planning to pull it apart after the camping season is over to fix any long term water damage this may have caused.)

I will say I have more confidence in the dealer than in Airstream. I feel like the dealer has made some good fixes and really knows what they are doing. In many ways, i think my Nest is in better shape than a new one because of them. This is my first airstream and I am really disappointed in the quality. I've owned campers for 20 years -- this is the worst experience with camper quality by far. I will say that I like the look, feel, size, and towing ability. I think if I can work out the rest of the kinks I will really it.

BTW, I am towing with a Subaru Ascent -- and I can't say enough about how impressed I am with this vehicle! In theory, this Nest with the Ascent should be a perfect package!

Thanks, in advice, for your insights.
NMR

NMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMR View Post
Hi All -- I originally posted this on the community page, but have since found this Nest forum so am reposting. Thanks to everyone for posting their issues, fixes, and thoughts -- it's been helpful reading these.

I've had various issues with my 2020 nest (purchased in May, picked up in June). Most have been fixed by the dealer -- airstream has not been much help. My Nest is currently back at the dealership for a third fix on the front window --- it leaks. Has anyone else had this issue? (The dealer fixes the window, pressure tests it fully, and then after road use it seems to loosen up and leak again -- they are peeling off the inside to take a closer look at it. They are also planning to pull it apart after the camping season is over to fix any long term water damage this may have caused.)

I will say I have more confidence in the dealer than in Airstream. I feel like the dealer has made some good fixes and really knows what they are doing. In many ways, i think my Nest is in better shape than a new one because of them. This is my first airstream and I am really disappointed in the quality. I've owned campers for 20 years -- this is the worst experience with camper quality by far. I will say that I like the look, feel, size, and towing ability. I think if I can work out the rest of the kinks I will really it.

BTW, I am towing with a Subaru Ascent -- and I can't say enough about how impressed I am with this vehicle! In theory, this Nest with the Ascent should be a perfect package!

Thanks, in advice, for your insights.
NMR
Hi NMR,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can escalate it and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.*

Old 08-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
NMR
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
TWO HARBORS , MN
You already have my info and full story

Hello -- You already have my information...I've called your team at every turn. Please ask Gretchen or Randy (Supervisor) in customer care. You have the full story. I hope they have some of this recorded so you can hear the conversation. If you need more from me to find this let me know. Thanks
Old 08-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Hello -- You already have my information...I've called your team at every turn. Please ask Gretchen or Randy (Supervisor) in customer care. You have the full story. I hope they have some of this recorded so you can hear the conversation. If you need more from me to find this let me know. Thanks
Hi there,

Can you please message us your name so that we are able to look up your records?

Thank you.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Dinette model or permanent bed? I’m not quite ready to buy and super disappointed with the model being discontinued. Curious as to how you like the unit itself(problems aside)? Thanks!
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
NMR
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
TWO HARBORS , MN
Hello, I tried to reply to you but can't because your inbox is so full you need to clear space before I can even send you my info. See attached for proof.

Is this just more lip service to show others that you care about what is happening? You'll have to work harder to prove that you really want to help as:
[*]I have called you more than 13 times and you've returned 2 of my phone calls.
[*]I have emailed your team more than 9 times with 2 responses or acknowledgements.

I have more than 1100 miles of driving to drop off and pick up the Nest for fixes at the dealership. It's 12 hours of driving each time I have an issue that needs immediate attention (6 hours round trip to drop off, and 6 hours round trip to pick up).

These issues, caused by the poor quality of the unit, have literally caused stress or ruined every camping trip.

During this last round your supervisor, Randy, offered to pick up the unit and bring it back to Ohio but he could not tell me when they would look at it or when I could expect it back to me. When I explained that I had camping plans in September and October he agreed that I should not send it back to Ohio at this time because he could not guarantee that I would get it back in time for any fall camping. I did appreciate his honesty. I did not purchase an airstream so that it could spend time sitting in Ohio while I continued to beg the company for updates.

This is a large and expensive purchase and I have a severe water issue that is now on it's third fix. Based on the water damage marks in the unit, this Nest was leaking beginning at manufacturing and running to my purchase. And -- this isn't even all of it. After one camping trip there was a laundry list of 13 items -- including a bubbling battery -- that needed immediate attention. As far as I can tell, this unit essentially left the Airstream manufacturing facility with little to no QC. In fact, the dealer (during the first round of fixes) found that the trailer safety brake was connected to NOTHING and they had to replace the entire safety brake system. Thank goodness for them -- as they are working through the issues and making the unit better for me. However, I'm not sure that even they can fix the window leakage problem if it's a mfg problem that goes to the structure of the unit. I trust them to let me know.

Now, let me give you a bit of the emotional side of this purchase. My husband and I loved to go camping. He passed away unexpectedly in May of 2018. I sold our Mini Lite and vowed to get back to seeing the US by camper as soon as I my feet were on the ground. Our dream was always to purchase an Airstream because of the quality and longevity. This was it for me -- stepping back into life as I recovered for this immense loss. I thought I was doing it right -- and it brought tears of joy to be going back on the camping road with my incredible dog, Drake. Airstream should have been a positive contribution to this moment in my life, but I'm sad to say it's been more of a nightmare than a joy.

So, this is a long message to tell the people at Airstream that you attempts to appear to help are exposed for what they are -- head nodding and lip service. If you are serious about helping then do it because it's the right thing to do -- not because I posted on the forum -- but because I am a person who purchased your product in good faith and am spending more time, money, and resources battling to actually bring the quality of this product up to the standards that are expected of ANY camper -- not just Airstream.

Thank goodness for LazyDays in Minneapolis and the full team of people in the service department. They are what is saving this purchase for me -- they are doing everything they can, and I appreciate that more than they know.

NMR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 1.00.55 PM.png
Views:	7
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	376515  
Old 08-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #7
NMR
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
TWO HARBORS , MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Dinette model or permanent bed? I’m not quite ready to buy and super disappointed with the model being discontinued. Curious as to how you like the unit itself(problems aside)? Thanks!
Hi Civenge99 -- See my reply to Airstream in this thread.

At this time, I don't recommend any Airstream purchase. I did purchase the model with the permanent bed -- because my husband and I traveled across the country and found it convenient to pull over and sleep while on a long haul to one of our great park destinations! The bed that is in the Nest is very, very, very comfortable!!

If I could eliminate the issues I've had, I'd be thrilled with the livability, size, and towing ease of the Nest. I love the combined black/grey tank for this size camper, I love the tankless water heater (after we got it working), I love the way the Nest sips electricity and my (new and replaced) batteries powers the nest. The storage inside is good and I'm learning what to store in the hard-to-get to areas under the bed. (Not sure how Airstream could fix that -- it is what it is!) The bathroom and shower are good too --

Bottom line -- if I could get my Nest to stop leaking and fix the long term water problems it has certainly developed -- it would be a great camper. But, again, what good is a camper that leaks? Right now, I can't recommend it. If you want to chat about this, feel free to let me know. I'll kindly offer to talk with you over the phone.

I love traveling with a hotel room behind my vehicle -- and will gladly help others as they work to make choices about their campers.

Have a great day!
NMR
Old 08-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Louisa , Virginia
Nest problems

Quote:
Hi Civenge99 -- See my reply to Airstream in this thread.

At this time, I don't recommend any Airstream purchase. I did purchase the model with the permanent bed -- because my husband and I traveled across the country and found it convenient to pull over and sleep while on a long haul to one of our great park destinations! The bed that is in the Nest is very, very, very comfortable!!

If I could eliminate the issues I've had, I'd be thrilled with the livability, size, and towing ease of the Nest. I love the combined black/grey tank for this size camper, I love the tankless water heater (after we got it working), I love the way the Nest sips electricity and my (new and replaced) batteries powers the nest. The storage inside is good and I'm learning what to store in the hard-to-get to areas under the bed. (Not sure how Airstream could fix that -- it is what it is!) The bathroom and shower are good too --

Bottom line -- if I could get my Nest to stop leaking and fix the long term water problems it has certainly developed -- it would be a great camper. But, again, what good is a camper that leaks? Right now, I can't recommend it. If you want to chat about this, feel free to let me know. I'll kindly offer to talk with you over the phone.

I love traveling with a hotel room behind my vehicle -- and will gladly help others as they work to make choices about their campers.

Have a great day!
NMR
Good afternoon
We have also had hit and miss luck with customer service. I have a Mike there and he still has not returned a call and a email since the 13th . I think they all work from the same playbook. Funny thing is we also traded in a Mini Lite on our Nest and wanted a Airstream for the same reason as you. Had Zero problems with the Mini but wanted something nicer. Got it the end of May had electrical problems a water leak around the AC, and a unattached wall. Just got it back 2 weeks ago so they have had it longer then we have. Still waiting on parts but we picked it up anyway so we could use it. Soo, Airstream if you are really sincere do something other then talk. The world is listening. I also love the Nest and would be perfectly happy if everything was fixed permanently.
5 Star Custom Tune
Louisa, Virginia
love nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Sorry to hear about all of your trials!
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #10

2020 16' Nest
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Hi all,

We purchased our 2020 NEST FB brand new and drove it off the lot with a recalled hitch. We went on two camping trips before we saw online a notice about the recall. The patch repair came yesterday, two days before a long trip ahead of us. This could have all been avoided had Airstream notified the dealer? or the dealer had fixed before we drove off the lot. Now we have to hope this works till we can get in to the dealer on November 2, their first available appointment. Next, on our last trip, we discovered the front window leaks. We patched with silicone, and then it didn't rain till we were home, but the silicone didn't fix it. Additionally, the top hinge pin on the outside door came out while driving to our last campsite. The door under the bed has come off because the screws are too short. And the latch on the seat back, across from sink, doesn't work properly. The dealer we bought it from is five hours away and "local" dealer is an hour away. They will be doing the work. I love the NEST for it's esthetics, its comfiness and coziness, but I'm so upset about spending this much money and having so so many issues.
janesnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by janesnest View Post
Hi all,

We purchased our 2020 NEST FB brand new and drove it off the lot with a recalled hitch. We went on two camping trips before we saw online a notice about the recall. The patch repair came yesterday, two days before a long trip ahead of us. This could have all been avoided had Airstream notified the dealer? or the dealer had fixed before we drove off the lot. Now we have to hope this works till we can get in to the dealer on November 2, their first available appointment. Next, on our last trip, we discovered the front window leaks. We patched with silicone, and then it didn't rain till we were home, but the silicone didn't fix it. Additionally, the top hinge pin on the outside door came out while driving to our last campsite. The door under the bed has come off because the screws are too short. And the latch on the seat back, across from sink, doesn't work properly. The dealer we bought it from is five hours away and "local" dealer is an hour away. They will be doing the work. I love the NEST for it's esthetics, its comfiness and coziness, but I'm so upset about spending this much money and having so so many issues.
Hi janesnest,*

Congratulations on your nest and we're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN if you need additional assistance.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*