Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Palm Springs , California
Nest, any modifications or improvements?

What was your first modifications or upgrades on your Nest?
Gregory92264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the post. Good to see that there is now a Nest forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f546/

. . . although not many posts yet.

Gregory did you get a Nest?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Palm Springs , California
I'm really tempted Peter but would like to hear more returns with pros & cons!
Gregory92264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you been able to sit inside a Nest, and compare it to other small Airstreams at a dealer? Very curious too about this new model. The Basecamp rollout has been a mixed bag apparently.

Colonial's video is a good first glance.

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
The first thing I thought seeing the door blind is that it should be mounted the other way, you have to completely expose yourself to see out, it should pull up from the bottom..
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
2007 Base Camp
Altamont , New York
Improvements

We haven't yet used the Nest for camping away but have it set up in the driveway until the week after next when we'll travel with it.
A couple observations:
The door to the bathroom is hinged on the wrong side. From the living space you have to walk past the bathroom to open the door and enter. And at that point, if you haven't thought to turn the light on, it's behind the door on the wall. Since the bathroom has no sink to wash you're hands, you'll always want to head back into the living space after the bathroom and again the door will be in the way of your desired direction.
If the awning is set up and the windows on that side open, a heavy rain will put water between the screens and the interior space. Given the fabric liner of the interior I'm concerned about things of this sort and will be watching it.
After the detailed reports of fiberglass issues, I've inspected ours pretty carefully. No issues similar to the cracking, thin spots, cracked out shower base, ect. but I have found a few small spots where there has been some effort to caulk. Also have a pebbled area on one of the two covers for the batteries and LPG tank. So, nothing yet that's alarming but it has yet to be moved other than 10 miles from the Dealer to home. Two weeks out we'll do a real trip with it and will update then.
One really minor thing, more goofy than anything else - there is an app to be downloaded for additional control of the LED lights, color spectrum, intensity and disco effects if you want to synch your lights to a music source. All seems fairly silly and useless so I hope they didn't spend much time or $$ on this. The one feature I thought it might offer - the possibility of turning the outside lights on remotely when you enter bluetooth range - doesn't appear to be a function.
wolfemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:31 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfemp View Post
We haven't yet used the Nest for camping away but have it set up in the driveway until the week after next when we'll travel with it.
A couple observations:
The door to the bathroom is hinged on the wrong side. From the living space you have to walk past the bathroom to open the door and enter. And at that point, if you haven't thought to turn the light on, it's behind the door on the wall. Since the bathroom has no sink to wash you're hands, you'll always want to head back into the living space after the bathroom and again the door will be in the way of your desired direction.
If the awning is set up and the windows on that side open, a heavy rain will put water between the screens and the interior space. Given the fabric liner of the interior I'm concerned about things of this sort and will be watching it.
After the detailed reports of fiberglass issues, I've inspected ours pretty carefully. No issues similar to the cracking, thin spots, cracked out shower base, ect. but I have found a few small spots where there has been some effort to caulk. Also have a pebbled area on one of the two covers for the batteries and LPG tank. So, nothing yet that's alarming but it has yet to be moved other than 10 miles from the Dealer to home. Two weeks out we'll do a real trip with it and will update then.
One really minor thing, more goofy than anything else - there is an app to be downloaded for additional control of the LED lights, color spectrum, intensity and disco effects if you want to synch your lights to a music source. All seems fairly silly and useless so I hope they didn't spend much time or $$ on this. The one feature I thought it might offer - the possibility of turning the outside lights on remotely when you enter bluetooth range - doesn't appear to be a function.
Be very vigilant about screws falling out - if you see any in the cupboards, drawers, make sure you try to figure out where they came from. I have found at least 20, some I never figured out where they go. The screen door frame is falling apart, those screws came out and are long gone, so now the fabric ceiling above the frame is falling down. You can't tell the screws fall out when there is stuff in the cupboards, if I hadn't taken everything out of my Nest, I wouldn't have seen the ones in the cupboards. The screws I have found that fell out of the laminate cabinets (cupboard hinges, around the microwave, bathroom door hinge) won't stay in. We had to get bigger screws to put the bathroom door back on. Also watch for loose screws, get them tighten before they fall out. The outside step as well. Screws fell out of it too. Good luck!
Beboplu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
none , none
Lightbulb Flip the rear door blind to scroll from bottom to top for better privacy.

Easy mod I made was to flip the rear door blind upside down for better privacy. There are small clips if you look very close that can be pushed open with a small diamond flat head screw driver. I did that and then unscrewed the mounting brackets and put the bottom ones on the top and the top ones on the bottom, then reattached the blind. It has enough tension to keep the blind in any position. It works out great because I can bring the blind down from the top now and be able to peek out without revealing myself completely. Also kind of nice because I can have half the door window covered from bottom up in case I need to change cloths while still maintaining a view of my surroundings.
iCjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
none , none
Exclamation Color changing light strip low voltage from light dimmer switch issue

The light dimmer switch used to turn the light strip on and off or dim is a voltage regulated dimmer, and this can make the light strip flash on and off when dimmed low. This is a issue not realized by Airstream designers. The light strip really should only be controlled by the Application on the smartphone. A better use for the light switch dimmer should be connected to the 4 over head and 2 spot lights. It will work properly for these lights, and provided better mood settings. I will be trying to figure out how to make these mods as soon as I get time. Airstream can't get everything right, but that's ok, Nest is a first generation new product
Old 09-22-2018, 10:28 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
none , none
Exclamation Small door stoppers for bathroom door, saves Propane detector..

I stuck small door stoppers to stop the bathroom door from smashing the propane detector, when opened to full position. This one should have been a no brainer considering the over cost of the nest unit.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
none , none
Exclamation Level pad crank handle storage location in nose cone.

Airstream throws you a leveler hand crank, but no where to stow it. So I found a place up front in the nose cone area. I made a metal hook and latch that works great and fits perfect. didn't even have to drill any holes in the frame. Come on Airstream these should be standard features on a 50k rig.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Jamestown , Ohio
WiFi...

I added a WiFi Ranger to my Nest. So far I have been happy with it.
buzzkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
none , none
What I meant to say.

I can bring the blind up from the bottom now and be able to peek out without revealing myself completely.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Jamestown , Ohio
Dropping head liner and screen door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beboplu View Post
The screen door frame is falling apart, those screws came out and are long gone, so now the fabric ceiling above the frame is falling down.
I stopped by the service center in Jackson Center to pick up a part for my Nest. They have a fix for this issue now (my Nest is doing the same thing). Not sure of all the details but it involves put a block of would under the head liner.

Working on setting up an appointment in Feb to deal with this and what else may pop up.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Jamestown , Ohio
Front end protection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfemp View Post
but I have found a few small spots where there has been some effort to caulk. Also have a pebbled area on one of the two covers for the batteries and LPG tank. So, nothing yet that's alarming but it has yet to be moved other than 10 miles from the Dealer to home.
I wonder if the 3M protection on the Sport or some other film could be used on the front of the Nest to improve protection from stones.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
none , none
Factory screen door installed wrong?

So can anyone from Airstream explain why the top and bottom screen door panels are different lengths by a quarter inch? You know this makes the door not catch the mag strip correctly when closed. Not only that but airstream assembled the mag strip backwards.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
none , none
Talking Factory assembly not paying attention.

Ahh the more I look, the more I see screws forgotten and left out. Even on the bottom of the table in the 16u, tapped hole for screw but no screw screwed, I guess they screwed up. Ah I guess the guy was a screw ball and just forgot to check his work.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill58 View Post
I wonder if the 3M protection on the Sport or some other film could be used on the front of the Nest to improve protection from stones.

Sure you could...many people get it installed on there vehicles to protect against what your talking about. 3M actually developed it for the front of car hoods after market. Just find a installer and bring it in. It comes in large rolls and its custom cut to fit whatever they are trying to apply it to.

They have also taken it to the next level by being able to make it any color. Some people have their cars wrapped to achieve a different look and if done properly can be pretty nice.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #19
Dogs Rule

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Liberty Hill , TX
Great idea, any chance there are photos of your handy work?
Jcpelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Jamestown , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcpelton View Post
Great idea, any chance there are photos of your handy work?
I will... Talked to the Ziebart tech support, they said there should be no issues with putting Z-shield on gelcoat. Airstream tech support said they have not tested it and it would be on Ziebart to cover. I plan on talking to my local Ziebart dealer and see what they say.
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
2019 Nest