Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Nest > Nest 2018 - Current
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Feathering a NEST

We’ve been feathering our NEST while we prepare for our 1st real camping trip — after daytime temps finally drop below 100 and night time temps allow sleeping without A/C. Our plans are to start out camping at several of the state parks within a day’s drive. Then begin venturing further out. All of the “local” state parks have camp sites with a minimum of electricity & water. and several have sites with full hook ups. So after copious searching/reading the many helpful threads on Air Forums, here is what we’ve done so far….

Full Hook Up (on our property):
We live in the country where we can keep our NEST protected under the carport of our tractor shed, which is very close to both the main breaker panel and a septic clean out.. This kit is allowing us to fully test the NEST from dry camping to full hook ups. And it makes the NEST suitable for overnight guests. BTW the NEST is a pricy way to add a beer fridge, coffeemaker, sink and toilet to the tractor shed We keep the A/C at 90 when we aren’t in the NEST, so that the fridge stays within it’s operating temp range.

> 30 amp service — GE 70 Amp Power Outlet Box (U041CP) w/ 30 & 20 amp breakers & receptacles
> Septic — Camco RhinoFLEX 15’ RV sewer hose (39770) + Clear RhinoFLEX 45 degree fitting & 15’ Sidewinder RV sloping support
> “City water” — hose hooked up to our rain water collection/filtering system

EMS:
I went with an external EMS because I like the idea of testing the power BEFORE even backing into a camp site. We’ll also be able to monitor the EMS from inside the NEST in rough weather. The Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X has a better warranty and weather protection over the EMS to 30amp cord connection. But they don’t offer a wireless remote display of faults, amps etc..

> Surge Guard (34931) w/ remote display (40301)
> Master Lock cable lock (8431DPF)
> Eversame wall plug voltage monitor (and night light)

Misc Trailer Hardware:
> TriMax “keyed alike” UMAX100 Towing Kit (TCP-100) — the idea is to make our NEST a little more difficult to tow away
> Camco Heavy Duty leveling blocks - 10 pack with nylon “case”

USB Powered Stuff:
We’re trying to take advantage of the NEST’s 10 USB ports. While camping we’ll have our two iPhones, an iPad and an old MacBook on board. So we opted for a USB powered TP-Link Travel Router for speedy wireless fie sharing/transfers between devices. The TP-Link is currently configured to extend our home wireless network to the NEST. BTW I’m holding off on buying a USB LTE modem plugged directly into the TP-Link, until we see how much we use our AC powered NetGear LTE modem.

> TP-link travel router (AC750)
> 2 Personal Rechargeable USB fans (Target )
> 2 iPhones & an iPad Mini

Misc:
> AeroPress coffee & expresso maker - very compact and quiet
> George Foreman Grill w/ removable plates - simple cooking and cleanup, fits in cabinet under the cook top
> Three Costco gray bath sheets - wide enough to protect the cushions from dirty hikers
> Costco 2x6’ runner - to protect the floor from grit in the soles of shoes/hiking boots

Bedding:
We’re currently working on bedding. It only took one night to learn that using queen size sheets, blanket etc. is way too time consuming to make and unmake each day. We’re currently looking for a queen size sleeping bag that could be rolled up and used as a long bolster pillow at the front of the dinning area. (Yes, we will be leaving those cute NEST pillows at home.) The key is finding a queen size sleeping bag, at a reasonable quality and price, that works indoors and looks good as a bolster pillow. Any ideas are welcome.

Please reply with how you feathered your NEST.

p.s. This post is intended to help new NEST owners (potential buyers) to think through what they might buy/use to feather their NEST.
BeSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
I should have been more clear about our bedding question. We have the NEST 16U floorplan, where you lower the dinette table and rearrange the cushions to create the queen size bed. When the dinette area is configured as a bed, there is a “pantry” counter but no seating for coffee, etc. to wake up before recreating the dinette. So we are looking for bedding that allows us to more quickly convert the dinette into and out of the bed configuration.

We’ve tried regular queen size sheets and comforter. That works but the cushions are a press fit leaving no room between them and the walls for tucking in etc. And reconfiguring from dinette to bed and back is not easy or quick, because you only have access to the queen size bed from the middle of one side.

What we are looking for is bedding that allows us to quickly roll it up and tuck it against the front wall while we reconfigure the table and side cushions. Then use the rolled up bedding as the bolster pillow along the front wall. We are currently investigating various queen size sleeping bags. But we are having trouble getting to see them in person, so that we can judge their warmth and construction quality. That is why we are asking for suggestion from those who have tried this or other forms of bedding.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Yes, it's something of a pain to constantly redo the dinette into bed and back again. Here are a couple of ideas that might spark a creative solution:

Years ago, I got to travel to Korea and stay in a traditional Korean hotel! What a great experience - the floor of the room was raised about 2 feet on a heated woven bamboo floor. The bed was a futon mattress with another futon for the blanket. The pillow was a firmly wrapped cylinder of some kind of fabric you placed under your neck. It was actually very comfortable and I had a great night's sleep! So, maybe a futon could be used?

Or, you could make your own plush comforter, and maybe sew some velcro on the edge.

Or, maybe leave the bed down and use TV trays for the table. It's a vacation after all.

Worse case? You could always trade up to something a bit bigger that has separate bed and dining areas, like something in the Caravel or Bambi line.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
get a level mate pro.
it h/w inside the trailer and talks to your phone over Bluetooth
https://logicbluetech.com/

when you camp, its tells you in 1/4 increments how much you need to raise drive or curb side. then how much to raise of lower the tongue
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Yes, it's something of a pain to constantly redo the dinette into bed and back again. Here are a couple of ideas that might spark a creative solution:...
Thanks for your novel suggestions.

It’s been quite awhile since we’ve seen a futon — measured in decades But they are an interesting idea. So we’ll add them to our investigation. We’re pretty big DYIers. But not up for a sewing project. The NEST comes in a fixed FB model, but you give up the dinette’s large table for maps, etc. and the pantry’s counter for computers, etc..

We’ve admired aluminum ASs for decades. And seriously looked at buying one several times. The NEST is the first AS that really fit our plans: size, weight, design, style, etc.. We’re just don’t want to tow anything larger. Especially if it requires a different tow vehicle.

Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
get a level mate pro.
it h/w inside the trailer and talks to your phone over Bluetooth
https://logicbluetech.com/....
Thanks for the tip. I’ll put one on our wish list in case my cheap magnetic level isn’t up to the job
Old 08-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
BeSerious,
The LevelMate Pro is by far the best gadget I've gotten for the airstream. It makes setup so much easier. Instead of messing around looking for level, and then stopping to check level after adding blocks, etc, you simply turn it on and watch the app while backing into the camping spot. Once you get close to your preferred spot, monitor the app until you get the most level spot. Then get your leveling blocks (the banana shaped ones paired with the LevelMate are ideal). Back up until level (you'll know from the app) and then stop. Done with side to side. It really takes it to a 1 minute task.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSerious View Post
Thanks for the tip. I’ll put one on our wish list in case my cheap magnetic level isn’t up to the job
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHapgood View Post
...The LevelMate Pro is by far the best gadget I've gotten for the airstream....
Thanks for the info on how you use the LevelMate Pro.

One more question….
I know that I'm not supposed to use the stabilizers to raise/level the trailer. But I don’t know how tight I should get the stabilizers. Should the stabilizers just barely rest on the ground? Or can I put a little tension on them to reduce the wiggle when we walk?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I run until I get just a bit of tension.

Quote:
Thanks for the info on how you use the LevelMate Pro.

One more question….
I know that I'm not supposed to use the stabilizers to raise/level the trailer. But I don’t know how tight I should get the stabilizers. Should the stabilizers just barely rest on the ground? Or can I put a little tension on them to reduce the wiggle when we walk?

Thanks in advance.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Bedding Plan B… use a light weight queen size sleeping bag as a mattress topper, comforter and bolster pillow.

We’re now using a Coleman queen size sleeping bag ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) with two cotton queen sheets safety pinned together at the foot. The queen bag exactly fits in the dinette area after it has been converted into a bed. We keep the bag mostly unzipped and use it as a mattress topper and comforter.

The queen size sheets are both wider and longer than the bag. At first we though this would be a problem. But in practice it is nice to have the extra material when the bag is not zipped. And the extra can be easily tucked into the bag before zipping it up. Once zipped, it is easy to roll the bag up lengthwise and use it as a large bolster pillow on the front bench.

The queen size sleeping bag, used as a bolster pillow, solves two problems:
1 - storage of the bedding when not “in use” and
2 - quicker conversion of the dinette into a bed and back.

While converting the dinette into a bed, the bag remains rolled up, out of the way on the front bench seat. The long front cushion and one of the thin side cushions get moved to the TV. The other thin side cushion and the two corner cushions get placed into the foot well before installing the table and thicker side cushions to form the bed. Then the bag is simply unrolled and unzipped. The pillows are pulled down from the overhead bins. In the AM this process is reversed.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #11
New Airstream User

2019 Nest
PENSACOLA , Florida
Quote:
Bedding Plan B… use a light weight queen size sleeping bag as a mattress topper, comforter and bolster pillow.

We’re now using a Coleman queen size sleeping bag ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) with two cotton queen sheets safety pinned together at the foot. The queen bag exactly fits in the dinette area after it has been converted into a bed. We keep the bag mostly unzipped and use it as a mattress topper and comforter.

The queen size sheets are both wider and longer than the bag. At first we though this would be a problem. But in practice it is nice to have the extra material when the bag is not zipped. And the extra can be easily tucked into the bag before zipping it up. Once zipped, it is easy to roll the bag up lengthwise and use it as a large bolster pillow on the front bench.

The queen size sleeping bag, used as a bolster pillow, solves two problems:
1 - storage of the bedding when not “in use” and
2 - quicker conversion of the dinette into a bed and back.

While converting the dinette into a bed, the bag remains rolled up, out of the way on the front bench seat. The long front cushion and one of the thin side cushions get moved to the TV. The other thin side cushion and the two corner cushions get placed into the foot well before installing the table and thicker side cushions to form the bed. Then the bag is simply unrolled and unzipped. The pillows are pulled down from the overhead bins. In the AM this process is reversed.
Are you still using this sleeping bag as a mattress topper, and if so, how is it working? Have you made any other adjustments?

After our first night sleeping in the nest the other day we quickly realized that we need to get something to help with how firm the cushions are and we are looking for what all sleeping options people are doing.

Also you mentioned a TV - can you send a picture of how you have your TV mounted?
Blount-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blount-Force View Post
Are you still using this sleeping bag as a mattress topper, and if so, how is it working? Have you made any other adjustments?....Also you mentioned a TV - can you send a picture of how you have your TV mounted?
Weather & medical issues have kept the NEST parked in the carport of our tractor shed, since we towed it home last July But we have used it quite a bit, including sleeping in it several nights. Once inside the NEST, it’s pretty much like camping with a full hook up

We like firm beds, so we use the Coleman sleeping bag as bedding -- top and bottom. It does supply some additional softness but not as much as a mattress topper.

The TV I mentioned is our Tow Vehicle FWIW when we were shopping for our NEST, I was very keen on outfitting the NEST with a TV/Monitor for a Mac Mini, Apple TV ASAP. But after test camping over the last 6 months, we’ve decided to keep it simple and stick with downloading (via Amazon Prime, etc.) several TV series episodes and/or movies to our iPad and watching them offline while camping. The only real issue is how loud the A/C fan is. So I’m looking for Bluetooth headphones that will reduce/cancel the A/C fan noise.

Basically, we've decided to stick to electronics with built in batteries that can be charged via the NEST USB ports and/or our X5 35d tow vehicle. This maximizes the value of future NEST solar/battery upgrades.

BeSerious
Old 09-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Quote:
I went with an external EMS because I like the idea of testing the power BEFORE even backing into a camp site. We’ll also be able to monitor the EMS from inside the NEST in rough weather. The Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X has a better warranty and weather protection over the EMS to 30amp cord connection. But they don’t offer a wireless remote display of faults, amps etc..
I'm starting my next round of upgrades
I opted for an internal EMS to be installed behind the converter. Stay tuned...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	379436   Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	379437  

Tamarack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
EMS installation

Simple to install and it seems to work
I'll "clean up" the wiring/routing when I'm done with my other electrical upgrades...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EMS3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	379525   Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	379526  

Name:	EMS5.jpg