Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Nest > Nest 2018 - Current
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2021, 03:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Dometic AC junction box location

I removed the AC cover and opened the inside so that I could spray on some coil cleaner -- smelled a bit musty. I discovered a j-box sitting loose across the output opening to the vents below and interfering with the screen, pushing it up against the heat strip. It isn't attached/mounted to anything and it seems like it would block some of the AC's air flow. The photo I attached is the view from the roof, looking straight down. The arrow is pointed at the "floating j-box".
Is this a common installation practice for connecting the 120v wiring?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nest AC.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	394445  
Tamarack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarack View Post
I removed the AC cover and opened the inside so that I could spray on some coil cleaner -- smelled a bit musty. I discovered a j-box sitting loose across the output opening to the vents below and interfering with the screen, pushing it up against the heat strip. It isn't attached/mounted to anything and it seems like it would block some of the AC's air flow. The photo I attached is the view from the roof, looking straight down. The arrow is pointed at the "floating j-box".
Is this a common installation practice for connecting the 120v wiring?
Hi Tamarack,

That is a new one! Every A/C install that I have seen has a junction box that is screwed into the roof at some point, usually not to interfere with the operation of the A/C unit itself.

Either they forgot to do that, or they don't as a matter of expediency for the trailer, which would not be a good thing.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
On mine the j-box is built into the AC.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
IIRC the junction box for my AC was not affixed to the trailer structure in our 2007 Safari 25FB. I found that out when the wiring inside the junction box burned up. When I removed the inside air distribution box to see if I could figure out why the AC stopped working, I found the junction box basically suspended in place by the Romex wiring itself. Upon opening it I discovered burned wires.

Honestly, the junction box placement didn’t bother me...all the connections were secure, and there wasn’t much, if any space for it to move around significantly. It was not interfering with air flow.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Mine was like that new from the factory. In high humidity environments like Florida that area tends to get wet. When I pulled the AC to add a second gasket I replaced the factory box with a gasketed exterior grade box and moved it a bit to avoid interference.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #6
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
Dometic AC Junction Boxes also not affixed. '19 Int.25 RB Dual Air

Taken last week while inspecting vent screens. I noticed a Yellow wire clipped, just hanging there! Pre-Solar Wiring?? Boxes on both units not affixed. Any ideas regarding the "Yellow" clipped wire? All AC functions seem to be working although "Maxine-A" has only been camped in for 3 nights since new, all by me.
Attached Images

Silver Ship is offline   Reply With Quote