Old 06-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #1

Awning lights magically don't work.

I'm about to take my first trip tomorrow morning, and was just checking on things ... the awning LED Lights don't work. The back lights work but not the awning lights. Any tips? Am I missing something?

edelweiss29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Hmmm,

Check out this previous thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ts-141355.html

skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
That's a great thread I had missed, thanks for sharing. Ours didn't work on the first outing, and I quickly realized the connector coming out of the trailer to the awning light was loose. Twist lock and things were back to normal. .
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:40 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
When I initially walked through my trailer (while spending the night in it hooked up at the dealer the first night), the switch for the awning lights caused some odd flickering in the interior lights and I thought something was wrong. We unfurled the awning the next day and everything was fine so I didn't think much more of it, until later on it misbehaved again and then the lights stopped working. It turned out that the end of the LED strip near the connector wasn't well-adhered to the trailer body, and got "squished" against the skin of the trailer sometimes, which eventually broke one of the conductors. They sent me a new LED strip, and when I installed that I added a bit of 3M VHB tape to hold the connector block in place, and 3 years on it's still working great.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Somewhere , Ohio
The thread linked above (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ts-141355.html) is for an International, not a Nest - can someone confirm that the fix is the same for the Nest? That thread references a separate fuse behind the switch as well as a dimmer, both of which I'm not sure exist in our campers.

Thanks!
ImagoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
David good idea, I used a self adhesive zip tie hold down and did the same thing as the last inch or so of the strip was pulling off due to the bulk of the connector curling up. Only been on a week but so far no issues with the strip coming back off, and still plenty of slack to allow proper nesting when closing.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
Smile awning lights

They keep breaking on my 2018 25FC
My suggestion - ignore them, buy yourself a cheap set of mpowerd string light (about $35) and a set of Revel trail hound usb sting lights ($20)
tons of light, little power needed, smiles fo r2 years from me.
Screw those stock awning lights.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Somewhere , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfeury View Post
They keep breaking on my 2018 25FC
My suggestion - ignore them, buy yourself a cheap set of mpowerd string light (about $35) and a set of Revel trail hound usb sting lights ($20)
tons of light, little power needed, smiles fo r2 years from me.
Screw those stock awning lights.
For what the Nest cost, having working external lights doesn't seem all that much to ask.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #9
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss29 View Post
I'm about to take my first trip tomorrow morning, and was just checking on things ... the awning LED Lights don't work. The back lights work but not the awning lights. Any tips? Am I missing something?
Hi edelweiss29,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 06-04-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Somewhere , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi edelweiss29,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Now THAT is a classy reply I didn't expect... awesome.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagoX View Post
Now THAT is a classy reply I didn't expect... awesome.
Don't get too excited. I'm not aware they ever do anything other than send out a stock post.

More to the point. My LED strip never worked. I tried all the usual things to no avail. I was getting ready to test the switch when I thought, "This is under warranty, let them fix it."
My very large dealer determined the strip was bad. They didn't have one in stock and had to order it. Then the covid thing sprang up, so it's been 6 months and I finally got it replaced! They assure me it works, because now the awning is rolled up again!
They did say they glued the strip in place at each end. Okay, I guess.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote