Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Tommy Bahama Special Editions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #21
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
1or2AC

We have 2 AC in our 2018 27’ Intl Signature. It is great to have 2 if you need them. Also, our #1 AC unit went out this summer, we had it replaced, but it was great to have another.
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
It's really interesting to see the 1 or 2 AC unit observations. Back in 2004 when I ordered my 30' Classic slide out the standard that Airstream was using was the 13.5K Penguin's. Prior to that I had a 2001 27' Safari with the 13.5K Penguin. On my first trip out to Hannibal Missouri out in full sun and 104 degree temperatures, I found the cooling was terribly inadequate. Camped next to me in the full sun was a couple who bought my white 30' SOB trailer with a 13.5K Brisk Air unit. They were comfortable and I was dying in my Safari with temps in the mid to upper 80's. I was sure something was wrong with that unit and the dealer and Jackson Center both looked at the unit and pronounced it working to specs. Jackson Center did realign the door and said they found some air leakage, and I added a full length Zip Dee awning to the street side of the trailer to provide some extra shade. I also became a lot more picky about where I traveled. And I do believe the street side awning had some positive effect.

Fast forward when I ordered the Classic I was extremely hesitant about the then standard 13.5K Penguin in a trailer that was 3 feet longer. So I asked for the optional 15K Penguin unit that had the heat pump feature. It's been the best choice and of course with the Classic I have awnings all around. I've found that the 15K single unit has performed very well for me. I do mostly destination camping I choose the climes that while can get into the mid 90's, the 15K unit can handle well. I've done most of my southern state camping during the cooler times of the year.

Obviously that first trip with the Safari taught me a lot about a aluminum trailer and a white box SOB trailer and the differences in heat absorption between the two! If I lived in the southern climes or did a lot of summer camping in that area, 2 AC units would be a must. I also did learn a lot about the value of awnings and their ability to reduce the heat absorption to that aluminum skin.

I do however like not having the rear hatch in the bedroom closed off with an air conditioner in it. The Fantastic Fan in that hatch and the front hatch provide a lot of air movement when air conditioning is not necessary.

Jack
Thanks for sharing that Jack.

I think you're hitting on part of the reason for different preferences. Not all A/C units are created equal.

I likewise had a 13.5k penguin fitted to my 27FB from the factory. That unit, particularly later years as its output diminished, was inadequate.

My current new generation 15k Blizzard can put the freeze on the 27FB.

I can see some individuals still wants 2, for individual zone control and redundancy. Yet I much prefer one as it allows 2 individual fantastic fans which I use far far more often.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chagrin Falls , OH
Thank you. I will look into this!
Wander4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chagrin Falls , OH
Thank you!
Old 07-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chagrin Falls , OH
Thank you for the response!🐕🐕
Old 07-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chagrin Falls , OH
Thank you!
Old 07-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Cleveland , Georgia
Good luck with your Tommy Bahama. We have a 2020 and there is simply no real estate on the roof to install a second A/C. We live in Georgia and it has been plenty hot lately but the A/C is perfectly adequate. I don't know about the AC on a 2018 TB. Try the A/C on the TB you are thinking of buying and if it puts out plenty of cold air, just buy it. If you get stuck in Death Valley or some such place, you could always turn on the engine and run the cockpit A/C to supplement your cabin A/C. I don't think you'll need it.
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #28

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Tallahassee , Florida
I have a 2018 TB with one AC and lived in it in Florida full time for 16 months.

Had no problems keeping cool.
JeffMScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
The "discussion" regarding how many AC units are necessary is a bit like the discussion on what oil is best to be used in a gas/diesel engine. Everybody has opinions, and sometime strong ones.

IMHO - 1 or 2 depends..............................

Airstream did not offer 2 AC units in 2007 so my trailer originally only had one, only 30A service and as some have pointed out, the AC unit is a 13.5K BTU Penguin. It works well but........ can't cut the mustard where we camp in Texas and anywhere along the Gulf Coast (regardless of what state you pick!) in the summer.

I replaced the forward overhead vent with a Mach 8+ (13.5k BTU) and wired up 50 Amp service (split between two 30A panels). I did the entire conversion for less than $1500 but I did all the work myself ( I'm a retired Electrical Engineer). I could easily see 15 to 25 hours of labor ( at $100 an hour) so the $4k is not all that out of range.

BTW - I called Jackson Center before I installed my 2nd AC and did the 50A conversion. They said they had never done such an install on the "earlier" ( not sure what what means) smaller Airstreams.

I'm tickled pink with the result so IMHO , anything 25 foot and up that you intend on using in higher temps/higher humidity areas, needs 2 AC's.
SailAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Depends on where you travel and IF there is shade. We replaced our AC with Penguin 2
15000 heat pump and it works good in shaded spots, AS is 29 ft. No shade and in middle of day if temps are in the 90's can't keep inside below 85. Adding second unit is tricky if you don't have 240v 50 amp service.
Airstream87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
I've had a few ask me about the second AC and 50Amp Service I added so I created a PDF document to explain how I did it. You will find it under a new posting called - Installing a 2nd unit in 25FB.
SailAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #32

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We have a 2018 27FB TB with one AC unit/30 amp service and it struggles in direct sunshine during summer. I would buy two units, I also heard an upgrade is major and includes not just another unit but the 30 to 50 amp conversion. We are in Virginia and it gets hot in summer.
Stellablue is offline   Reply With Quote