Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Tommy Bahama Special Editions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2017, 04:07 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcesq View Post
Thank you all for the comments - it seems like a mixed bag of opinions as I expected.

There are lots to like about it - the bar is awesome and I love the floor and the wood looks throughout. The hatch is great but I'm trying to figure out if we'd actually use it - I'd like to think we would but who knows.
We got to see the Bambi version of this at the dealership. As you point out the bathroom seems a bit over the top, but otherwise I really liked it. I thought they nailed the coastal theme and it made me a bit sad that they didn't have the 27 footer available, who knows, I might have just been crazy enough to overlook the bathroom wallpaper and get it instead of the Flying Cloud.

I also don't think it would be out of place in a National Park. I do agree that I loved the Pendleton edition, but also agree that I'm not sure opening up the unit would work for us. Mostly because the climate we camp in doesn't lend itself to opening up the unit.

-Wayne
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bainbridge Island , Washington
We fell in love with the FC. Then we saw the Internationals and went back and forth on the Signature vs. Serenity for while. We finally looked at the TB. Bathroom wallpaper aside, we like it a lot. We signed a deal and pick it up Monday.

From a practical side, we like the wine bar, even though we don't drink or entertain that much. We do cook almost all our meals when we travel, and will gladly trade a bit of the couch for the extra storage and prep surface. I think the hatch will be nice too, maybe with the bug screen in place sometimes.
pwlldvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #43
Fly Navy and Beat Army!

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
St Peters , Missouri
Random thoughts and invite

My wife and I took delivery of our Tommy Bahama last Monday! Not the first thing I have done that some may have felt I should have been committed for.

There is an ad that has been playing the last couple of weeks. At the beginning there is a distance shot, a truck pulling an Airstream. I can’t tell the make of the truck and can’t read the A I R S T R E A M letters - until later in the ad- but I know it is an Airstream behind, immediately. Whether there are logos or not, I believe, we are towing distinguishable billboards behind our TVs. So if I wanted anonymity, I should have bought SOB of trailer. BTW, it was a GMC advertisement. Not a marketing guy, but I would think GM is attempting to associate with another recognized quality product.

As a kid, I remember vacationing in Minnesota, there were some pretty serious bugs. I was looking at some pictures of an Airstream Park in Minnesota the other day and the lots for sale/use seemed to have screened in gazebos. I think when I open the hatch, to have dinner as close to outside as I can, when there are bugs and I don’t have a screened in gazebo to use, I think I will use the pull down screen, to keep the bugs out, making our own gazebo, wherever we go.

Although I love the ocean and the beach, (okay, I think the sand stinks [wife LOVES it], but the boardwalk and atmosphere around the beach is always fantastic) I would not consider myself a beach person, beach bum or parrothead. I have friends that would identify with one, two or all three. I am extremely confident that these friends would be welcoming of a national parks type camper near the beach. So I hope no one who owns one of these, would feel silly taking it to the coast. I can’t wait to continue exploring all of North America I can get to, with my trailer in tow!

Took the TV and the Honda Odyssey to the dealership when we took delivery (couldn’t fit everything into the TV - Silverado HD2500). Although we didn’t put everything in the trailer we brought, we do have some mighty fine wine! Also, the Jack and Jose Gold stored quite nicely! I can’t speak for every Tommy owner, but come Happy Hour, I will be happy to make good use of the bar, so please stop by our trailer and say hi! We are still working on the trailer’s name. However, no need to bring ice. I would appreciate, if you plan on leaving before your drink is finished, you bring your own glass.

Yeah, there are some things I want to change. For us, we didn’t find anything Airstream made that would work as is. The Tommy came closest. And we felt at home the minute we walked in! We made the decision a year ago. Part of that decision was to continue working instead of using part of my retirement to pay for it. My Accord wasn’t going to pull it, so we bought the Silverado in July 2017.So we have been making sure for a year this was the right thing, for us, that seems a fair amount of time to make a decision.

I have a plan to start a new thread explaining how we made the decision and how the process went. This will be my attempt to try and pay back the knowledge I have gained from this forum. No promises that I followed, correctly, what I learned, but I was certainly better informed. THANK YOU!

I hope everyone has a great season camping. I hope to meet as many of you as we can!

Squire
Fly Navy and Beat Army!
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:04 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Well congratulations Squire on your new Airstream. Great reading your post because I remember feeling just that enthusiasm when I got mine (flying cloud)2 years ago!
Sounds like you gave everything due process, and you won’t be dissappointed!
Get out there now and have fun no matter where you go!
And yes, go Navy (especially those awesome submariners!)!
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:53 AM   #45
Fly Navy and Beat Army!

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
St Peters , Missouri
jamieb1086, thanks for your kind words. And thank you for your service! I am afraid of heights, but a plane is no problem. Maybe I could, but I don’t think I could manage the confinement of a submarine. Glad there are those of you willing to do it! Looking forward to meeting you out there!
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Pensacola , Florida
Our very first post

My wife and I took delivery of our new 2018 TB FBQ27 on Friday the 13th of April, having never been the superstitious type.

We went from tent camping in February to being Fulltime Airstreamers in April with no hesitation. After 5 years of planning and trailer shopping we were all set to purchase a Flying Cloud until we saw the TB at the 2017 Tampa RV Supershow. The 2018 Globetrotter was given some last minute consideration but the TB won out.

Neither my wife or I have ever purchased one single piece of TB merchandise before this Airstream. True the TB is not perfect. The bathroom walls being the major eyesore, but that will be easy to fix somewhere down the road. The bedspread, sheets and towels were all returned to an unnamed decor store for an in store credit and were quickly replaced with more desirable items for less than half the cost.

We sold other items during our yard sale or on craigslist, such as the ice maker and ice chest, bar accessories, microwave and glassware.

We ordered ours with only one AC unit so that we have a 30 amp trailer with the generator prep port on the front cap outside the bedroom window. This will come in handy when we eventually get out west for some free boondocking opportunities.

We love the darker wood tones, the upgraded flooring, the wooden blinds and the shuttered cabinets. So much so that we acquired two extra shutters and mounting hardware to replace the sliding glass doors above the galley.

Having lived in South Florida for the past five and a half decades the beach theme just felt like home to us. We're happy to have been able to afford the TB over the FC.

FYI - All this talk about Parrotheads and Margaritas is Jimmy Buffet merchandising not Tommy Bahama.
TwoPeasAndThePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
TwoPeas,

We picked ours up a week later. Also the first TB thing we ever bought.

The maiden voyage starts tomorrow!

At first,we didn’t care for the decor, but it’s growing on us. Even the bathroom wallpaper! And some of the extras like ice-maker and glasses take up way too much space to be practical for camping. Very smart of you to return them for store credit, we hadn’t thought of that.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:55 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
atlanta , GA
The rear hatch is awesome. Just got back from 2 weeks in Chicago and the U.P. in Michigan. Trust me, with the screen pulled down and the door open is the only way to enjoy the outside. You could last about 2 minutes outside with the mosquitoes. We can sit inside and enjoy the outside no problem.
kkdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:59 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
atlanta , GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
I did see one of the rear hatch in YELLOWSTONE and he could not open the back because of the bugs flying in.

Bummer.
It has a full screen that is captured on the sides. I don't have any issues with bugs getting in. It's the best way to enjoy the outside, inside.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
The rear hatch is awesome! We’ve only done a short weekend trip so far. We Stopped for lunch at a state park, in a parking lot with beautiful view and no picnic tables. With the hatch open we had the view and a delicious lunch. A couple of flies showed up so we dropped the screen but still had the view.

After that it was too hot to be outside much, but we still used it on the return trip.

The ice maker is pretty nice too!

Looking forward to our first real trip, two weeks in Colorado&New Mexico next month.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Lucas , Texas
Hi everyone!.....newbie here....well, I just had to post a message (rare for me)....but due to my excitement I broke my own rules......as a family, we have been through 3 rv’s....we refer to each one as stage1, stage2, stage3......first was a pop-up, 2nd a hybrid, 3rd a full size travel trailer......now, for stage4.....went back and forth between a bigger trailer, or a fifth wheel.....oh, but then my friends, we saw a Tommy 27fb.....game changer.....bought one....pick it up next week.....I have always loved the idea of an airstream, but for us, none of the interiors “clicked” for us....until we saw the Tommy....
So my exoerience reinforces that not all airstream are for everyone, and you can’t pass judgement about each model or decor....it either works for ya, or doesn’t......thankfully, airstream seems to keep expanding their decor/model options to meet a wide variety of tastes.....for us, we would not own an airstream if not for the Tommy.......everyone keep “doin you!!!!
Balbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbers View Post
Hi everyone!.....newbie here....well, I just had to post a message (rare for me)....but due to my excitement I broke my own rules......as a family, we have been through 3 rv’s....we refer to each one as stage1, stage2, stage3......first was a pop-up, 2nd a hybrid, 3rd a full size travel trailer......now, for stage4.....went back and forth between a bigger trailer, or a fifth wheel.....oh, but then my friends, we saw a Tommy 27fb.....game changer.....bought one....pick it up next week.....I have always loved the idea of an airstream, but for us, none of the interiors “clicked” for us....until we saw the Tommy....
So my exoerience reinforces that not all airstream are for everyone, and you can’t pass judgement about each model or decor....it either works for ya, or doesn’t......thankfully, airstream seems to keep expanding their decor/model options to meet a wide variety of tastes.....for us, we would not own an airstream if not for the Tommy.......everyone keep “doin you!!!!
I second that notion 100 percent.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
atlanta , GA
Quote:
We love our TB. It's been a year since we picked ours up. We have traveled about 30 states from the end of last year until now. In fact we are about 2 months into our 3 month trip, and still love it. Don't worry about the interior haters. I probably wouldn't like the inside their trailer interior either. Congrats and enjoy. We sure do.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Merritt Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by djarrett View Post
We came home with a 2018 27" Tommy Bahama yesterday. Some people local now have our Eddie Bauer and we made some good friends in the process. Our kids thought we were coming home with a 27" Eddie Bauer. The reaction - THEY LOVE IT. They were so surprised and we were surprised at how much they love it.
New here, we're about to pull the trigger on our first Airstream. Wife and I went to look at a used 30' classic at a dealer and saw the TB and like most were drawn to it. Most things we like, to the point we put a deposit on one. The thing that we're wondering the most is interior usage.. So for those with teens how is the sleeping/livability without having a separate couch/seating area? We're on the fence, we REALLY like the TB but wonder if when we do have the kids with us or have friends come by is there ample seating in the camper.
campnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
Campnfish, our concerns were similar. Our 1st trip to dealer was to look at 25', but quickly changed to 27' for bed arrangement. The TB edition sucked us in. We loved the décor, the bar, and the rear hatch, but we didn't think we would like the dinette as the only sitting area. We decided to go with the 28' for the separate couch and dinette. We had my sister and brother-in-law go with us on a 4 day Yosemite trip this summer where we made both the couch and dinette into beds, which was handy. They all have pros and cons, but aren't these great choices to have?
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Lucas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartsDad View Post
Campnfish, our concerns were similar. Our 1st trip to dealer was to look at 25', but quickly changed to 27' for bed arrangement. The TB edition sucked us in. We loved the décor, the bar, and the rear hatch, but we didn't think we would like the dinette as the only sitting area. We decided to go with the 28' for the separate couch and dinette. We had my sister and brother-in-law go with us on a 4 day Yosemite trip this summer where we made both the couch and dinette into beds, which was handy. They all have pros and cons, but aren't these great choices to have?
We too were a little concerned about enough sleeping accommodations.......but our situation is we are just recently “empty nesters” and reality is visitors spending the night will be rare......it seems to me 2 more adults could comfortably sleep since the rear area converts to a 40 x 96 bed......this makes a long bed, and I bet another person could easily sleep in an L fashion...feet to feet.....would like to hear from current owners if you have done.....
Bob
Old 10-07-2018, 03:25 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
We too were a little concerned about enough sleeping accommodations.......but our situation is we are just recently “empty nesters” and reality is visitors spending the night will be rare.....
We too are fairly recent empty nesters, but with only a single child the fact that we wouldn't have enough space wasn't too much of a concern. What mattered most for us was what about the 95% of the time when it's just the two of us? We had the 23D (now 23CB), and got tired of climbing over each other. We were poking around the Airstream dealers lot while waiting and said, "if we could do any AS, what would we end up with." That's a dangerous combination. ... In the end we didn't buy the TB edition, but we did look at one. We ended up with a regular 27FB Flying Cloud. But we chose what would work for us most of the time. It's a bit of an inconvenience having to jiggle things around when our daughter comes and stays with us for trips, but not so much so that we would have considered her accommodations first and foremost.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Lucas , Texas
Picked up,our new Tommy 27fb last Friday!....as with anyone who buys an AS, we love it!..there are only a couple “tweaks” my wife says needs to happen....she really wants a u-shaped lounge instead of the sit across from each other layout....she wants to be able to have both of us stretch out with a blanket at the end of a long day of activities.....
She thinks the table is too big and “in your face” if you stretch out with your head against the back of the camper......so, we’ve been discussing options to improve the comfort.....we are going to try and add cushions along the back, as well as a smaller 2ft round table in place of the larger existing.......odds are, this has already been done by others on numerous models, would be interested to hear if anyone has done or recommendations how to do....
We are both extremely excited about our new AS!.....I’ll post pics of what we end up with....(ps, the Polk audio stereo in this thing is AMAZING!)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
West Chester , Ohio
Quote:
Picked up,our new Tommy 27fb last Friday!....as with anyone who buys an AS, we love it!..there are only a couple “tweaks” my wife says needs to happen....she really wants a u-shaped lounge instead of the sit across from each other layout....she wants to be able to have both of us stretch out with a blanket at the end of a long day of activities.....
She thinks the table is too big and “in your face” if you stretch out with your head against the back of the camper......so, we’ve been discussing options to improve the comfort.....we are going to try and add cushions along the back, as well as a smaller 2ft round table in place of the larger existing.......odds are, this has already been done by others on numerous models, would be interested to hear if anyone has done or recommendations how to do....
We are both extremely excited about our new AS!.....I’ll post pics of what we end up with....(ps, the Polk audio stereo in this thing is AMAZING!)
Congratulations! Our first tweak was to replace the Tommy Bahama name on the screen door. DW also wants a change to the table but not to add a better lounge space as you do but to make it adjustable to accommodate a larger dining space. I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet but it will keep me busy until Spring! I agree about the Polk stereo! It is fantastic! Controlling it with your phone is very easy once you get the sync sequence correct. I love how it can automatically scan for local channels and can do the NWS channels! Sound quality matches my home system! Very happy with our TB! No major issues yet (6 trips and 2200 miles since June).

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2020 GMC 2500
LeatherDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
To each their own

I read the post by Marcesq questioning the "sanity" of buying a Tommy Bahama AS with some amazement. I tend to think that anytime the word "should" shows up more than once in a correspondence, the author may be a bit "Judgy". Happily we live in a free country and we all get to make all the smart or dumb decisions we want based on what each of us feels is the best for themselves. For my wife and I, the design of the AS Tommy Bahama is great and why we finally bought an AS after nearly 50 years of camping. We were always interested in Airstream, primarily because I love the monocoque design and construction and the tow-ability. But every time we looked at them we were turned off by what we perceived as "old granny" interior design. Obviously not everyone had the same perception, which is fine, but we did. We saw the Tommy Bahama 27' unit at a dealer in Florida and totally changed our minds on AS and subsequently purchased one. I think we will enjoy it a lot, and I don't think we will feel foolish when we go into campgrounds, including primitive ones.
BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote