Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
rochester , New York
Winterizing issues 2019 globetrotter 25

Trying to winterize, it came with the winterizing kit installed. When I turn the valve turn pump on I do not get any suction from jug of anti freeze. Thoughts?
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Trying to winterize, it came with the winterizing kit installed. When I turn the valve turn pump on I do not get any suction from jug of anti freeze. Thoughts?
Airstream is famous for installing those brass valves backwards. They are directional. Not sure which brand they use, but in general, when in 'winterize' mode, the handle should point toward the suction hose. If installed backwards, when it's in 'winterize suction' position, it actually is completely turned off.
I actually made this mistake once when I installing on one of my trailers.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
2019 Globetrotter 27 here. My valve was installed backwards.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
If you don't want to mess around with fixing it, then you can dump the pink stuff in the empty freshwater tank (be sure it's empty so it doesn't get diluted) and then pump it through all your plumbing. Downside is that you then need to do a pretty good job of cleaning your freshwater tank in the spring. We always do it this way. It will take 4-5 gallons.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
rochester , New York
So it seems like the valve is backwards. Not to get access to it to fix it. The panel under the refrigerator seems to be locked in place / trapped. Anyone else with a 25 able to remove it?
Old 10-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Can't help you with the panel, but to be more accurate in my earlier post, even if installed backward, the valve will point toward the antifreeze clear suction hose when in winterize position. But in 'service' position, it points at the water pump, not the water tank. That will allow water to flow in service mode, but prevent the valve from sucking through the clear hose when in 'winterize' mode.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:03 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
rochester , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Can't help you with the panel, but to be more accurate in my earlier post, even if installed backward, the valve will point toward the antifreeze clear suction hose when in winterize position. But in 'service' position, it points at the water pump, not the water tank. That will allow water to flow in service mode, but prevent the valve from sucking through the clear hose when in 'winterize' mode.

I think you’ve nailed it. When in the service mode, the pump is closed off and the clear hose is connected to the tank. So valve needs to be re installed.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I’m not sure about the particulars of pump location in a 25’. It was relatively accessible under the wardrobe in the 27’ but getting PEX tools back there required some contortions. If I recall I used a PEX cutter for the pipe (for a clean cut—a dremel or hacksaw blade with some firework afterwards would also work), wire cutter for the clamps.

Eventually got the valve removed. Installing a new one was simple—but I bet you can guess how many times I checked to see it was going on straight . If I did it over again I’d probably mark out the desired results (e.g. place the valve handle in the position it’s supposed to be in when winterizing) so that reinstall was foolproof.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Larkspur , Colorado
Does the pump turn on

When you open a faucet does the pump come on? Does any thing but water come out (could take a minute)?
Dmmdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
If you don't want to mess around with fixing it, then you can dump the pink stuff in the empty freshwater tank (be sure it's empty so it doesn't get diluted) and then pump it through all your plumbing. Downside is that you then need to do a pretty good job of cleaning your freshwater tank in the spring. We always do it this way. It will take 4-5 gallons.
I never thought of doing it this way. Would you still need to bypass the hot water heater?
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
You would need to bypass the water heater or use 6 more gallons to fill it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Don't put antifreeze in the fresh water tank or the water heater. You will regret it if you do.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Don't put antifreeze in the fresh water tank or the water heater. You will regret it if you do.
Like pink showers?
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post

^^ Exactly!

That pink stuff takes forever to clear out if it gets in a tank - I accidentally got just a little in my water heater (opened the bypass valve before clearing the water lines), and the smell of that stuff, even diluted, lasted a long long time. Was glad it at least wasn't in the drinking water in the fresh tank!!
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
1983 34' Excella
Hudson , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
2019 Globetrotter 27 here. My valve was installed backwards.
Same with our 2019 International Serenity! I remembered reading about it in “the forums” so I cut a decent length of that clear hose, inserted the end with the black nipple to the pump supply connection (after unscrewing the plastic fitting)....the seal was good enough to draw antifreeze from the jug.
Bwilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
rochester , New York
Thanks everyone for your input. I was able to get the access panel below refrigerator open by removing the strip that the door hinge is attached to. Upon access the valve is clearly installed backwards.

I decided to make a warranty claim and let the dealer service correct the issue. I bought a 2019 because I did not want a project (I have plenty of projects) so I stopped myself. However, I am making a modification so I can easily access in the future.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
For what it's worth, we do it this way every year.

It's very fast in the fall, but more involved in spring. It does force you to really do a good job of cleaning your tank out once a year, which I think is a good thing.

Drain out all fresh water from fresh water holding tank, open low point drains, bypass hot water heater. Now close the low point drains back up as well as the fresh water tank drain.

Add about 5 gallons to the fresh water tank and using the pump just run all faucets on both hot and cold, and flush the toilet. Do this as long as it takes until you have used up all the pink stuff. Remove shower head. Remove kitchen sink side sprayer. Done.

In the spring, this forces us to do a thorough job of cleaning and sanitizing our fresh water tank and lines. Fill fresh water tank and drain it by running various faucets until they all run clear. This will take about 3 times of filling up the tank (Obviously easier if you have gray and black hookups. But we have done it using a blue boy tote too). Then we fill tank with tank cleaner and let it sit per directions, and run/drain that through. Then tank sanitizer and do the same.

Then we turn back on the bypass on the Hot Water Heater.

I do not want to worry about slime buildup, Legionnaires, mold, or other issues when I shower.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:05 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
rochester , New York
Quote:
For what it's worth, we do it this way every year.

It's very fast in the fall, but more involved in spring. It does force you to really do a good job of cleaning your tank out once a year, which I think is a good thing.

Drain out all fresh water from fresh water holding tank, open low point drains, bypass hot water heater. Now close the low point drains back up as well as the fresh water tank drain.

Add about 5 gallons to the fresh water tank and using the pump just run all faucets on both hot and cold, and flush the toilet. Do this as long as it takes until you have used up all the pink stuff. Remove shower head. Remove kitchen sink side sprayer. Done.

In the spring, this forces us to do a thorough job of cleaning and sanitizing our fresh water tank and lines. Fill fresh water tank and drain it by running various faucets until they all run clear. This will take about 3 times of filling up the tank (Obviously easier if you have gray and black hookups. But we have done it using a blue boy tote too). Then we fill tank with tank cleaner and let it sit per directions, and run/drain that through. Then tank sanitizer and do the same.

Then we turn back on the bypass on the Hot Water Heater.

I do not want to worry about slime buildup, Legionnaires, mold, or other issues when I shower.

Makes a lot of sense!
Old 10-29-2020, 05:29 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Ok if you want to spend a day flushing the at the Spring get-ready.
I did it for 8 Seasons before realizing that blowing the lines and AF in the traps was all that was needed.

POI... three years ago I found by accident that if the streetside of the trailer is
is raised AFTER draining the FW tank when level it will continue to drain for another 45min, at level you won't drain the tank completely.
I wouldn't trust the diluted AF 100%.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F086EDAA-EF6D-4935-8A88-213266BA352C_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	382133  
Old 10-29-2020, 05:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
It really is incredibly easy to install a winterizing kit, premade or on your own. Then you use a very small amount of pink to fill whatever you deem appropriate. Draining and blowing is even easier once you get a fitting for your water inlet. However with blowing, I found that you need to pay special attention to the toilet valve and the water pump inlet filter. Beech Lane does sell a more durable toilet valve.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote