Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2022, 11:23 PM   #181
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
The current lead time for a new one is 10 - 12 months (see post #176 above) or more. If you really want it for next spring, ordering in the fall will be too late. Even if you order it today, the likelihood of receiving it next spring is probably 50-50 at best,
Per the PDX dealer they anticipate 6 months. They said Airstream is catching up on the backlog and starting builds for dealer inventory.
drewcwsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:10 AM   #182
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcwsj View Post
Per the PDX dealer they anticipate 6 months. They said Airstream is catching up on the backlog and starting builds for dealer inventory.
Timing is definitely changing. My cancelled 2022 Globetrotter 25 FBT has been sitting at the dealer for over a month with very little interest. They said cancellations have increased significantly over the last few weeks with non sold inventory scheduled to arrive steadily over the next few months.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:57 PM   #183
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
Timing is definitely changing. My cancelled 2022 Globetrotter 25 FBT has been sitting at the dealer for over a month with very little interest. They said cancellations have increased significantly over the last few weeks with non sold inventory scheduled to arrive steadily over the next few months.

I’m not surprised with the recent rise in cancellations. There could be a number of reasons for cancellations but the rise in fuel prices is likely a contributing factor. Also, there is the element of time, ppl waiting for such a long time for an order have plenty of time to think and rethink prior to making the purchase. Couple those reasons with Covid not being so main stream at the moment, as I said several reason likely contributing to cancellation.

There were several threads mentioning their AS that are listed for sale aren’t getting much action. I think we’re nearing the end of the RV/AS craze. Just this one guys opinion/speculation.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:58 AM   #184
2 Rivet Member

Greenville , SC
Sounds good to me
dukmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:13 AM   #185
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I thought there would eventually be a slowdown in demand for AS TTs. I didn’t think it would happen this quickly. A agree. It must be due to gas and diesel prices. Good news is, dealers will be more willing to throw out some bigger discounts.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:49 AM   #186
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcwsj View Post
*fingers crossed* they can catch up on orders and potentially deliver early. We'd love to potentially get out once or twice this Fall.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:24 PM   #187
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , Washington
What has given us pause is the 30% increase in Globetrotter base cost so now a 27 base is $135k plus solar and 2 AC options gets you to $145k. Three years ago a 2019 cost $100k and dealers routinely discounted to 20%. So $80k vs $145k.

I just saw a 2021 Int 27 listed for $135k, and he posted the dealer sticker showing MSRP of $125k. I may just start throwing out low ball offers....

Unless we find a killer deal we will sit and wait for the market to tank.
drewcwsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:50 PM   #188
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
We picked up our Globetrotter 27FBQ from Colonial last Thursday and set off for Newport, RI and we just arrived in Provincetown on Cape Cod. After reading lots of scary stories on Airforums about Airstream quality, I was definitely a bit worried. Happy to say that the build quality is truly outstanding!! We absolutely love this trailer. We went with the propride hitch and my 2012 Yukon Denali (6.2L V8) pulls it with no problem what-so-ever. (1650 payload). I could not be happier with the trailer and my TV.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
All that said, the water heater is a downer

The Globetrotter is a fantastic trailer. But the instant water heater is definitely a drag. Basically you have two water settings, cold or hot-ish. The temperature needs to be set at about 105 degrees. This way when you take a shower you can run 100% hot water. This keeps the water heater running. If you set the temp higher, you'll need to mix hot and cold water. That doesn't work. When the flow rate through the water heater drops below .8 gallons per minute (which is about a full power shower) the water heater turns off. That sends pure COLD water to the shower. The only way to take a shower is with the heater on 105 degrees with the water on full hot. We haven't boondocked yet, but this unit goes through A LOT of water in the warm up phase and you can't take a "Navy" shower (turning the water on and off). That would send cold water through. A regular hot water heater would be much much better. I've heard that there is another brand of instant hot water that is better, but this is the one I've got. :-(
Old 05-28-2022, 06:26 AM   #190
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I’m not sure why, but it seems like AS is trending away from camping without full hookups. I wonder if the Basecamp trailers are all electric refrigerators and on demand water heaters. We are 50/50 on hookups vs dry camping. This summers trip is to a NP with no hookups.
Really happy to hear you had no quality issues.
I was at our local dealer yesterday. He said AS is one of the only manufactures they have, that still has long lead times. Their lot was covered in white trailers. He said they had to tell the other manufacturers to stop sending them trailers.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:48 PM   #191
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Good information on the Girard hot water heater. Our first day with the Girard we knew it wasn’t for us. Too much waste and the warm water wasn’t appealing, no need to mention the break in stream and it cold all over again.

We gave it the weekend before scheduling a Truma appointment. Pretty quick, I know but it’s our 3rd AS and we learned if you don’t like it change it. Now that we have the Truma we haven’t looked back. We’ve been very happy with the change.

The basecamps come with the Truma on demand hot water heater. I think it’s the Truma comfort plus model. That model can’t be placed aftermarket.

The all electric refrigerator is decent IMO, it forces you to need solar or electrical hookup, if not you’ll be disturbed with a beep in the middle of the night for low battery. Atleast that was my experience as I opted out of AS solar package and went the aftermarket route. Another decision that we have been very pleased with.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:02 AM   #192
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
We find our 2021 25'GTFQ "all right but not sterling" in the fridge and the on demand.

The fridge has a tendency (on the third day) to start icing up. The door catches are the cheapest garbage I have ever had on a trailer. But it looks nice and does work. We got the factory solar and so far they have played well together.

The water heater is fair at best (I leave it at 125 degrees and it works). BUT it is pretty worthless in the "green" department as you DO have to utilize much more water than you would with either a tank system or something else.

As to boondocking, as we were originally camped in a tent, then pop-up campers before we got the first of our 3 AS's my view might be different. If I want to boondock I will throw in a cooler and take cold showers as necessary. Been there, done that.

But it does seem strange that AS claiming the greener ratings are the reason for the AS choices in this department and the end result to the consumer/environment is the exact opposite...
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:40 PM   #193
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus View Post

We gave it the weekend before scheduling a Truma appointment. Pretty quick, I know but it’s our 3rd AS and we learned if you don’t like it change it. Now that we have the Truma we haven’t looked back. We’ve been very happy with the change.
Colossus, how much did you pay for the unit and the installation? Where’d you have it done?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 05-31-2022, 09:07 PM   #194
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlintiaga View Post
Colossus, how much did you pay for the unit and the installation? Where’d you have it done?

Thanks,

Scott

We had it done at the Truma Service Center in Lakeland, FL. Dave and Bruce did the installation, the cost was around $2k. We dropped the unit off and drove around the area (had breakfast went to Home Depot) before we knew it, Dave called and it was complete.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:47 PM   #195
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Crossville , Tennessee
We ordered a Globetrotter 25 FBT on February 12th. The Airstream arrived to the dealer on July 6th and we are taking delivery on July 14th. Based on the initial estimates the dealer had estimated that the Airstream wouldn’t arrive until late August.
RmbTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:50 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
We intercepted someone's canceled order for a 27ft Globetrotter in mid February, 2022 and switched the version from front bed queen to front bed twin and changed the interior to our preference of Dublin Slate and Walnut.

The original manufacturing completion date was forecast to be June 15th. Over time, that got pushed to June 30th. Then the Dexter axle problem popped up in mid June and this further delayed our trailer completion.

At this point (July 14th), the trailer should be arriving at the dealer on July 16th and we will take possession on July 22nd.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:39 AM   #197
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
We intercepted someone's canceled order for a 27ft Globetrotter in mid February, 2022 and switched the version from front bed queen to front bed twin and changed the interior to our preference of Dublin Slate and Walnut.

The original manufacturing completion date was forecast to be June 15th. Over time, that got pushed to June 30th. Then the Dexter axle problem popped up in mid June and this further delayed our trailer completion.

At this point (July 14th), the trailer should be arriving at the dealer on July 16th and we will take possession on July 22nd.
Hopefully that happens and you will be enjoying your new GT shortly. Post pics when you get it!

All the best!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:56 AM   #198
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Hopefully that happens and you will be enjoying your new GT shortly. Post pics when you get it!

All the best!
Thanks and will do!
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote