Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vail , Colorado
Which one? Globetrotter or International

Looking at buying our first Airstream, are the only differences between the two cosmetic? We want/need as much storage as possible. Also is there a preferred length meaning is the difference between a 25' and 27' a big deal when driving or finding adequate parking spaces? Been following here for a while and am finally really close. Any advice would be appreciated. Getting a RB model and want to sleep 6 in a pinch.
Colohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
RB model

The 27' Airstreams are all front bedroom. You can get a RB in a 25' as a queen or a twin. The 25 might sleep 6 in a pinch. The 25' RB twin has great storage. Go to an airstream dealer that has a lot of models in stock in all lengths and trim levels. Spend a couple hours in each of the models that you think may fit your needs. I would not have a power awning under any circumstance, so the newer Internationals and Globetrotter would be out. We just purchased a 2019 FC 25RB twin and really think it is great. We moved up from a 2017 International Serenity 23D (it was not equipped with a power awning in 2017). Good luck in your search.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vail , Colorado
Thanks, great place to start. To show how new I am, I didn't even mean 'rear bed" just want a queen (wish they made a king bed as I'm 6'4") so front or rear bed is fine. Will check out a Flying Cloud 25 tomorrow in Denver at the dealer. Any other things I should look for? Again, really appreciate the help. Wife thinks we'll use it a couple of times and then it'll sit.
Colohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Oddly enough, at 6' 4", you will fit better in a twin. Rather than buy new, you might want to consider "gently used" as it sounds like your wife is only semi-convinced. When she discovers how nice it is to travel in an Airstream, then go get your "new with all the bells and whistles" model.

As to size, in my 15 years of traveling all the heck over the lower 48, I couldn't find a suitable campsite exactly once and my trailer is 31' long. Buy what suits you.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
In Colorado, the difference between 25 and 27 means trailer vs. RV. Strange, but that's what they told me at the BMV, and it was a pretty significant difference in the cost of title and tags.
Also, depending on your timeline, you might want to consider a custom job. Chances are it will be the same *price* as a new one, but you can have *exactly* what you want (including things not offered by Airstream, not to mention better craftsmanship if you hire the right people).
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Which one? Globetrotter or International

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjed
In Colorado, the difference between 25 and 27 means trailer vs. RV. Strange, but that's what they told me at the BMV, and it was a pretty significant difference in the cost of title and tags.
Also, depending on your timeline, you might want to consider a custom job. Chances are it will be the same *price* as a new one, but you can have *exactly* what you want (including things not offered by Airstream, not to mention better craftsmanship if you hire the right people).

Not my experience moving from a 25 to a 30 in CO.

A custom trailer using a new shell will cost you $200-$300k. Not cheaper. Give a timeless travel trailers in Wheatridge a call if you want to explore this option. They do amazing work and we have partnered with them to modify / customize 2 of our airstreams.

Regarding international vs globetrotter - no significant differences in the trailers outside of decor and a more limited selection of floor plans with the globetrotter. The globetrotter does have the new dometic CU434 oven which we like, so we retrofitted into our international. Front beds are always heavier to tongue weight to be carried by your toe vehicle so take that into consideration.

I’d spend time in the floor plans at the dealer lot. 25vs27 is no big deal for maneuvering / parking. 27 is actually within 3” of the 28 so might throw that into the mix as well.

While you are thowing things into the mix if you sleep 6 or even 4 on a regular basis you should consider a 30’ international. We moved from our 25 to the 30 with a family of 4 plus some friends who come with us from time to time.

We modified the lounge to make for a second queen and a longer double.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f539...um-182406.html

Regarding our Colorado dealer - don’t settle for a penny less than 20% off msrp. If they tell you no go then look to Albuquerque dealer who can likely do better.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Not my experience moving from a 25 to a 30 in CO.

A custom trailer using a new shell will cost you $200-$300k. Not cheaper. Give a timeless travel trailers in Wheatridge a call if you want to explore this option. They do amazing work and we have partnered with them to modify / customize 2 of our airstreams.

Right. If you use the most well known customizing company in the US (perhaps the world), it will cost you a *lot* more. Plus, delivery will be a long, long time, as they have a lengthy wait list. But TT is certainly not the only option for great custom work and a layout/design that fits your specific needs.

In regard to the 25 vs. 27 (25 feet being the cutoff), that was the information I received (and what affected what I paid for tax, title, tags) at the BMV on Pecos in Broomfield (near you, yes?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I’d spend time in the floor plans at the dealer lot. 25vs27 is no big deal for maneuvering / parking. 27 is actually within 3” of the 28 so might throw that into the mix as well.

This is sound advise. Spend as much time in the Airstream as you can, even if it annoys the dealer. You are getting ready to spend a lot of money; they can deal with you sitting in the trailer and moving around for several hours if it helps you become comfortable with your decision. Feel free to take your laptop, check your e-mail, watch some TV, and maybe even pretend to make a meal (thinking about where you'd store things like cookware, spices, tools, etc.).

You might even consider taking it a step further and *renting* a couple different Airstreams (with different layouts) for a couple of weekends... even if you're just sitting in your driveway! It will really help with lots of little things that probably haven't even crossed your mind in terms of "how to live" in an Airstream!
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I love the Globetrotter. The finish is outstanding. Also, the over-head lockers/cabinets. The International just can't compare. MHO.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Orlando , Florida
International Signature Vs. Globetrotter

We liked both but hated the Slippery Upholstery, "Ultra-Leather"!
Terrible.. you sit, you slide..No to the Signature.
Doesn't happen on the Globetrotter or the Flying Cloud with Truffle.
The Globetrotter is Contemporary Styling inside. Airstream Outside. A Perfect fit.
*We didn't buy either because the Dealer here in Phoenix didn't deal off MSRP. Nope! Bye bye..
Found a 25 Foot Safari and hit the road!
Good luck!
Bobfrapples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
As others have said, go to a dealer if possible and spend some time in each model. If I remember correctly both the 25' and the 30' models have a slightly larger bathroom (which my wife and I preferred) and the 27' and 28' models have a slightly smaller bathroom. You definitely get more hallway closet space when you move up from a 25' to a 28 or 30', but spend time in the different models if you can (take a tape measure with you, take pics on your phone). When I as at the dealer recently for some work, we spent an hour walking through most of the trailers on the lot. We personally didn't care for the colors and finish in the Globetrotter series compared to our International Serenity. We love the colors and finishes in our Serenity, but not so crazy about the overhead sliding cabinets, but have learned to live with them. I can't remember what the Globetrotter offers in cabinet doors. Best just to sit in the different models, imagine living in them, etc. I moved up from a 25' to a 30' and it did take some time to get used to the greater length. Best of luck.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #11
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
Colohunter,

We purchased a Flying Cloud 30, two years ago. We love the aesthetically clean interior and the overhead storage flip doors. We have not had any problem finding campsites long enough to park the 30. We chose the 30 because we anticipate spending a lot of time camping - not just weekends. Love all the storage space. Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #12

Temecula , California
Hello

I currently have a 2011 20ft Flying Cloud, and I am hooked!!!

Considering Full timing it when I retire which requires an upgrade for SURE!!

I have nearly the same problem, 25ft or 27ft. Globetrotter trim most definitely. Probable used. Time frame, next 3 years.

I think that the 27ft would be vastly better living space at the expense of towing / parking / traveling. So its likely going to be a 27ft since I expect to live in it more than towing it.

I personally love the Globetrotter trim with the exception of the flooring. I have pets (bird & dogs) and I am just not sure how cleanable that floor is going to be.

Used because you can't beat the price plus its been tested. You buy from the dealer and you get to test it. I don't mind doing this but its seems like a double whammy, more money and more time testing and fixing (the fixing is true for new or used).

That's my thinking as of today. It might/could change in 3 years after reading more posts over the next 3 years. Still evaluating.

Thanks
-Mike

2011 20ft Flying Cloud
2019 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
opto53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Liberty Hill , Texas
Great post

We have a 23FB international and we spent 80 plus nights and 8500 miles this summer. Easy to tow easy to park and my wife loves it. But, I find it to be too small and want to go to a 27 or 28 Globtrotter.
Franktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Just to state the obvious , if the storage is on the outside then it’s coming from the inside and vise versa. The outside perimeter of the trailer is constant within a given size. So, it all depends on how well you like the way Airstream made the inside vs outside tradeoffs on a particular model.

We love our Flying Cloud with the flip up doors. If cost was no object we would have done the Globetrotter for the same reason. I don’t think we’re neat enough to make the translucent sliding door cabinets look nice, especially when they light up with all our junk inside. Also flip up gives you wider access.

Also, many will say if you want a Queen, get a ‘27 to get the North South bed orientation and better access to either side of the bed. I agree with the previous post about twins. You may find you fit better in the long twins than the queen.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
The 30 rear twin setup is our choice for now. We've got the nice big bathroom, no knees hitting the door!

Four outside storage compartments, not one of them in front, which I find difficult to access.

More counter space, bigger wardrobe.

Couch separate from dinette.

Just as easy to tow as the 25 rear twin that we had.

6'4".....make sure you sit on the toilet and close the door when trying 'em out!

And check that short queen bed vs. the twin length.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Myrtle Point , OR
Looking to move from Leisure Travel Van to an AS

For the past 3 1/2 years we have enjoyed our Leisure Travel Van Unity (downsized from a 30' 5th-wheel). We love the small motorhome for the road trips we are now able to enjoy, but an engineering flaw has made long trips less appealing. Last year a wheel speed sensor failed, resulting in a 5 day delay in our plans. Just last week, almost exactly a year to the day, it happened again. Still under warranty, but very inconvenient. Will know more when we go in for repair in a couple of days, but my research hints that the M Benz Sprinter isn't properly engineered to be a motorhome chassis. If this assumption is correct, we might be looking to change back to an RV (one of comparable quality to the LTV) that we can tow with our reliable F-350 Super Duty.

I don't expect my husband will want anything as small as the van, which has an interior floor space of 7.5' x 15' - and a 23+ foot AS will be needed to get the twin bed layout which we love in our van. I'm interested in either a Globetrotter or International Serenity but each has pros/cons making the decision difficult:

My preferences: GT for the 1. galley layout 2. Hitch upholstery 3. overhead cabinet doors. While the galley in the IS is not my first choice, it is ok. But I do prefer the IS cooktop (I think) and definitely the refrigerator over the GT's. We have had both fridges in our RV's and I dislike the 3-way like in the GT. I also love the Serenity's salsa Ultra-leather option! - GT upholstery colors, not so much. Our van has Ultra-leather and I don't find it to be slippery, but then we don't have a lounge - just two bench seats.

The 23' floor plans are not to my liking as I don't care for the U-dinette, especially it being directly across from the galley. Will most likely be leaning toward a 25 or 27' FB twin. Still haven't made it to a dealer where we can compare.

Will probably be purchasing new and ordering what we want so we can get options like solar, 2xAC and the decor I want. Am also curious about the rear hatch option.

Thanks for listening; looking forward to input.
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Wake Forest , NC
Send a message via Skype™ to patandcole
My wife and I just returned from our first trip in our 2020 AS Globetrotter 23FBQ. We had an awesome time and absolutely loved our GT. As others have advised, spend as much time as possible in the units you are considering and I believe it will come to you. My wife and I spent hours at the dealership (more than once) before pulling the trigger. We knew we wanted a 23', so simply had to narrow it down between the FC, IS, and the GT. We obviously went with the GT. It's a stunningly beautiful unit IMO. Any salesperson worth working with should understand how important this time is. If not, I would look for another sales person given the amount of money you are about to spend!

Above said and as others have stated, I believe the difference between the IS and the GT are more than just cosmetics as the GT has the flip up storage cabinets vs. the slides the IS has. This seems to provide more room from my memory in spending time in the IS. There are also some added upgrades to the GT such as powered stabilizers (I'm sure you could add them to any unit), upgraded sound system, upgraded mattress, and others if that matters to you.

Personally, I really liked the aesthetics of the GT over the IS. Having just spent three days over the weekend in it, I am not disappointed. Honestly, I think you'll be happy with whatever direction you go as these trailers are fantastic!
patandcole is offline   Reply With Quote