Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2022, 12:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Eugene , Oregon
Surface Cracks Head Locker Interior

On our last trip I noticed the interior surface of our storage cabinet above the dinette is showing cracks in the white laminate. The cracks are at the front curvature and can only be seen by poking your head into the cabinet (or using a mirror). I was looking to see that I had removed everything when I spotted the cracks. I contacted JC abut this and was told the remedy is to replace the cabinet. Is anyone else experiencing this same issue? The trailer was purchased new last September and we have not stored any heavy items in the locker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5280.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	415552
AirOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Are the cracks in the bottom part of the cabinet where it curves or the bottom part of the door where it curves? I’m assuming the cabinet but wanted to clarify.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:21 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Eugene , Oregon
The bottom of the cabinet where it curves.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirOregon View Post
The bottom of the cabinet where it curves.
I don’t know if this make you feel better or me feel worse. I looked in my 2018 Globetrotter and have cracks in the same place. I had forgotten about it but we saw those cracks in ours. My wife noticed them when she was dusting out the cabinets. It appeared to me there was a plastic film that was glued on the structural part of the cabinet. I didn’t see anything structurally wrong with the cabinet so we didn’t make any warranty claim.

If it makes you feel better we have had no issue with the cabinet in 4 years over some rough roads. However; I would certainly have the factory look at it under warranty. If they tell it needs to be replaced because it’s gonna fall don’t let me know!
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I had the same cracks inside the cabinet above the dinette in my 6 month old international. It’s cosmetic, the cracks are in the Formica. Watch your fingers while dusting, you can slice them open.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:01 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Eugene , Oregon
I’ve decided that replacing the cabinet under warranty opens up potentially new issues that’d I’d rather not entertain. Instead I’m going to use white “Gorilla” tape to tape the cracks and call it good. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Our 2021 Globetrotter FT has similar cracks in the roof locker over the dinette. In discussing it with one dealership, I was told it is a major job to replace the locker. I brought up the issue with the mothership (Airstream Factory, Ohio) and was told that this is a common problem, and that they no longer replace the locker. In their experience the problem just reoccurs. Apparently there are voids in the underlying cabinet support and the plastic liner is somewhat fragile causing the liner to crack easily. They recommended their current fix which was to somehow fill in the voids under the cabinet bottom (I did not get the specifics on how thy might do this) and to then re-line the floor of the cabinet with some other material like felt. This both creates a nice non-slip surface on the locker bottom and hides the repaired damage.

Has anyone else had experience with repairing this type of damage? How did things work out?
2021 25' Globetrotter FT, 2006/07 Interstate
2010 GMC 2500HD Sierra Crew 4x Diesel
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 02:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Raleigh , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdave View Post
Our 2021 Globetrotter FT has similar cracks in the roof locker over the dinette. In discussing it with one dealership, I was told it is a major job to replace the locker. I brought up the issue with the mothership (Airstream Factory, Ohio) and was told that this is a common problem, and that they no longer replace the locker. In their experience the problem just reoccurs. Apparently there are voids in the underlying cabinet support and the plastic liner is somewhat fragile causing the liner to crack easily. They recommended their current fix which was to somehow fill in the voids under the cabinet bottom (I did not get the specifics on how thy might do this) and to then re-line the floor of the cabinet with some other material like felt. This both creates a nice non-slip surface on the locker bottom and hides the repaired damage.

Has anyone else had experience with repairing this type of damage? How did things work out?

We have the same damage in our 2023 Globetrotter. We have an appointment with the mother ship this coming week to have them take a look. They mentioned the 'felt' fix as a resolution. We will keep everyone posted on further discussion and how it was repaired.
gadgetgrrll is offline   Reply With Quote