Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #1

Kingwood , Texas
Scared to death now on making an offer

We absolutely love the Globetrotter look, but after reading these horror like stories of leaks, outside finish, seals, poor craftsmanship, bad enegineering, and poor quality control. i’m almost hestitent on making this offer on Wednesday this week on a 2018 Globetrotter. I’ve been wanting an Airstream for 30 years. finally, we are in a position to purchase one. Does anybody think restored Airstream’s are built better than the newer ones.
Thank you
~D
Dennis23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
I have the International 27FB which is basically the same as the GT. Purchased it new in 2011.

I would not hesitate to purchase new again, but forewarned with the information from this forum I would spend much more time at the dealer to go through every item and function every system. Probably would stay a night or two in their lot as well.

To some extent when people have issues they post about them. When things are going great people do not post with the same vigor conversely. So I think there may be a little bias toward the “horror” stories here. I had issues for sure, but sitting here sitting under the ZipDee sipping a beer and watching the chicken cook - I feel fortunate to have the trailer we do and the memories we have made with it. I do not regret the purchase, not one bit. Best wishes with your decision.

Don
Old 07-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
For every post outlining a quality issue, there are 100 people who aren't on this forum, who are happy as can be. And people rarely think to post about the trailer they bought that has had no problems. Sure there can be issues to work through but you'll have two years to suss out any that come up. Don't let the internet stop you from your dream. I drooled over Airstreams since I was a little boy, camping in our family's SOB, and finally joined the AS family 3 years ago. Lightly used in my case. Zero issues or regrets.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Don’t get sucked into others negativity.

There are issues but, how have the units been treated/miss-treated?

Many issues avoided with good maintenance and periodic inspections.

Buy what you want, inspect it thoroughly before you buy.
Have every “issue” no matter how slight put in writing for repair BEFORE you buy.

Leave the lot and go enjoy your long sought after dream!

We wish you all the best.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
For every post outlining a quality issue, there are 100 people who aren't on this forum, who are happy as can be. And people rarely think to post about the trailer they bought that has had no problems. Sure there can be issues to work through but you'll have two years to suss out any that come up. Don't let the internet stop you from your dream. I drooled over Airstreams since I was a little boy, camping in our family's SOB, and finally joined the AS family 3 years ago. Lightly used in my case. Zero issues or regrets.
How many out of that 100 even know this forum exists?
Based on the variety of issues. I would bet more than half of that 100 have had or will have problems.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
A friend has one. If I were in the market, that’s the model I’d get. It’s gorgeous. And he had the cabinets fall out too. Fixed under warranty.

Perhaps take a list of concerns (falling cabinets, etc,) that you’ve read about the GT to the dealer and ask how these have been inspected on your particular trailer. Send a list of issues to the factory and inquire based on Serial # whether it was made before or AFTER they learned about some of the build issues that should have been taken care of by now. You get a 3 year warranty (I only got 2). It’s great peace of mind for anything major and (to a geek like me) fun to work out the minor stuff too.

Last - yes, some vintage units if well loved and cared for can be a great deal. But that’s a crap shoot too. Even if well maintained, what’s to say a 40 year old frame didn’t spend too much time near the ocean and is ready to bust?

Life is a crap shoot. That’s why I went new with warranty. Stuff happens. Get it fixed for free for 3 years - all the bugs will be worked out.

Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
I wonder how many GTs have had something like a cabinet fall off. Can't be that common. And, like was pointed out, tens of thousands of AS owners have no clue about this forum or might actually have a life; on the road enjoying these little bundles of aluminum, rivets and designer fluff. Its kind of like motherhood, when she looks into those beautiful eyes she forgets all about the pain... I knew the analogy would fall apart as some point. But, as they say, life is too short to now follow you dreams, so get what you want.
WW
Old 07-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #8

Kingwood , Texas
Thank you for all the great input. We are ready to commit to airstream
Dennis23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:17 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Boise , Idaho
We have a new GT and have NOT had any major issues, certainly no cabinets falling off. Fit and finish is spectacular, all doors, cabinets, overheads are tight and alignment is great. Go for it!
Mniba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Huntsville , Alabama
When you buy a house you usually get a home inspector, it might be worth paying a professional, licensed RV inspector that would "survey" the Airstream you are considering.
Interstate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Airstream quality

We can highly recommend the airstream trailers
What you should Consider when purchasing the right Airstream is to consider the type of camping , length of trips, dry camping versus full hook up, tow vehicle ,and the number of persons and animals that will be traveling with you. I would not be alarmed by a few problems. When you go to other types of Trailer’s blogs you will find that there are far more problems regarding quality of manufacturing.
We also had been planning to buy our Airstream for more than 40 years. Every step has been amazing. The Airstream itself has worked well for all of our needs. One of the most wonderful surprises was the beautiful community we have met. If it wasn’t enough that Airstream’s are awesome, the folks that travel and them are the most awesome. And of course the beautiful places we have stayed.
Our first Airstream was a 22 foot Bambi, tow vehicle Dodge Durango Hemi we had one dog traveling with us now we have two Vizslas . We now have the perfect length for us with our two dogs and 2018 International serenity 25 FBT.
Perfect size for us, comfortable, beautiful and tows like a dream. 14 miles to the gallon . Length works well in all of the national parks, Wishing you well and picking the right Airstream for your Airstream dreams. You can’t make a bad choice.
The silver Buffalo
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
tarzana , California
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis23 View Post
We absolutely love the Globetrotter look, but after reading these horror like stories of leaks, outside finish, seals, poor craftsmanship, bad enegineering, and poor quality control. i’m almost hestitent on making this offer on Wednesday this week on a 2018 Globetrotter. I’ve been wanting an Airstream for 30 years. finally, we are in a position to purchase one. Does anybody think restored Airstream’s are built better than the newer ones.
Thank you
~D
To answer your question, every used car I had, had a load of problems. Every new car I had, had problems, but the dealer had to fix the new car issues, not me. Older AS don't have Solar, etc. The new Globetrotters come with auto this and auto that. At 75 years old, I ain't gonna be putting that stuff on.

Just got our 2019 Globetrotter. You should be getting the same year, not 2018. It will take at least two months to get the 2019, might be a 2020 by then.

I traded my 2017 Flying Cloud which i had for 9 mos., in and I am very happy i did. The new Globetrotter has a three year warranty, up from Two years. Get the extended warranties,(Not the painted rims) they cost more, but this is a long term commitment.

In June, we went to AS to do their factory tour. You will come away with an improved impression on the quality and the new things they've added. Might be worth your time to take the "Free" tour and see for yourself.
frank nordyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Check it out thoroughly and if satisfied, buy it! Older trailers, like ours, are different for sure, but not necessarily better or more trouble-free. Seems to me that most of the new trailer issues center around technology-related glitches. That is simply a function of where we all are in history. Tech is here to stay (until the zombie apocalypse) and sometimes it is a pain.
The other issues with fit/finish, cabinets improperly attached, etc. are more likely identifiable prior to purchase, especially since you are so well informed and aware. The good news is that once you and your Airstream have bonded and it is settled in and relatively trouble-free, with reasonable care, it can give you many years of great service. (And you can live in it after the ZA)

Wishing you a clear path to the decision and many years of Airstreaming!
BTW, we love the Globetrotter too.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #14
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Plan to make an appointment within the two year warranty with Airstream in Ohio. I already have an appointment for June 2019. I make a list and add as I discover things. I have a bathroom door that is misaligned, and a few hinges that need covers and some other adjustments replacements that can wait till next year.

For stuff that needs addressing now, or upgrading, align your self with an Airstream expert, start building that relationship now.

Vinnie’s is our go to, just helped ou this week with the water pump backfilling to fresh water, and got us up to speed with what to look for when experiencing these types of things.

Next, check out airstream life’s website pick up their books, and I love their kits like the tire changing kit with torque wrench and how to stuff, love their water hose recommendation, tired of dealing with crappy leaky plastic ones.

Do research on this site, it is the Bible for Airstream research in my humble opinion

All of the above have been confidence builders in my ability to learn and a joy and address The Airstream experience
Stay Calm and Stream On.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Hello
I, like you, have wanted an AS for over 30 years. Instead of buying new, we finally purchased a 1979 International Trade Wind. We planned to make some upgrades and go traveling. If I knew what I know now I would never buy Airstream. I can promise you I will never buy another one. Their customer service at the service centers are terrible. The structure of the AS is junk compared to other manufactures.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Oliver Elite II or the Bigfoot before you buy. The quality of the Oliver far surpasses the AS and their customer service is great. I toured their plant last month and looked at the Oliver from the inside out. It is amazing.

It's your money but like the other reader said, expect the AS to be a piece of crap and you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck
MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Wow. We love our 2006 Bambi. We have had very few issues with it over the years ... and what we have done is due to normal wear and tear ... and many miles of use. We would buy another one without hesitation. We are happy campers with our little Airstream. Get what you want, expect some fixes while it's under warrantee (which happens with all brands) and most of all ... enjoy it!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We have a 2017 International 28' Serenity. We went through the same hesitation as you are. We have had a few minor (very minor) issues that were quickly resolved. We are going to Jackson Center next week for our 2 year warranty visit. Mostly because we want to see the factory and we'll have some mods done while we're there. We love our AS and would buy another new one in a heart beat. I know people post a lot of horror stories and I don't doubt that they are accurate but as an earlier poster said ... you hear more from unhappy "campers" than the happy ones. On delivery day - take as much time as you need to go through all the systems with the technician. There are no dumb questions. If something is not right have them address it on the spot. Good luck with your decision.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
I have the International 27FB which is basically the same as the GT. Purchased it new in 2011.

I would not hesitate to purchase new again, but forewarned with the information from this forum I would spend much more time at the dealer to go through every item and function every system. Probably would stay a night or two in their lot as well.

To some extent when people have issues they post about them. When things are going great people do not post with the same vigor conversely. So I think there may be a little bias toward the “horror” stories here. I had issues for sure, but sitting here sitting under the ZipDee sipping a beer and watching the chicken cook - I feel fortunate to have the trailer we do and the memories we have made with it. I do not regret the purchase, not one bit. Best wishes with your decision.

Don
FWIW, we wanted one and bought one, then traded up two times. I never had any expectation beyond going traveling all over the country and enjoying every minute. As issues arose I dealt with them never letting them dampen the joy and enthusiasm. I considered them part of the deal.
There are people whom you can never satisfy or please. And unfortunatly they are always the front page news.
Go ahead buy your Globetrotter and enjoy life.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Scared to death

Ask for a 3 year warranty. That’s what the 2019s are getting. And, you’ll probably need 3 years. Gone are the days when you just show up at JC and get warranty service.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
We own our 3rd Airstream. We have never purchased new. Our recommendation would be to find a used one (2-3 years old). The previous owner will have found all of the flaws and broken things and should have had them repaired. It should still look new with a good finish and zero odors inside. Just my $0.02 worth.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote