Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Replacing the sink insert

The Corian insert is great; it gives you extra counter space when you need it, and covers the sink when full of dishes. But, you can't cut on it.

I glued up a panel (4/4 walnut) and used the stock insert as a template. I cut the blank to shape, rabbited the edge so it sits flush with the counter, and routed in a liquid trap around the edge. This is only one half. Now, a good sanding, some butcher block oil for finish and it will be ready to go.

I'll add a final photo of the finished project once I get everything wrapped up.

_Nathan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sink insert.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	381591  
extranrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by extranrg View Post
The Corian insert is great; it gives you extra counter space when you need it, and covers the sink when full of dishes. But, you can't cut on it.
Your woodworking efforts photographed well and I'm sure the promised picture of the final product will be well received as you are clearly making a visually pleasing addition to your trailer.

However, I am curious what factor(s) dictates that Corian cannot be used as a cutting surface. Certainly doing so may result in surface nicks which can be sanded out or even dull knife blades after repeated contact just like wood, is there some other consideration used to determine this rule? I ask after years of using Corian counter pieces leftover after making sink openings as cutting boards and/or trivets with great success. Is there something critical I should learn?

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
In general, I find it pretty rough on knives; wood is considerably more forgiving and the edge needs less steeling to stay in shape. Aside from that, it's more of an aesthetic issue for me. I appreciate a cutting board that "shows its age", but a piece of Corian that is full of knife scars just doesn't do it for me.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Agreed Extra. Your cutting board looks awesome- Aggo and I look forward to seeing it finished!
AJ in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Modify the sink insert on the FC Round Sink

The sink insert on our FC25FB was nice because it does give more counter space, however, makes the sink unusable and unable to get water etc. The sink insert in the FC appears to be made of thick PVC?? I used a jig saw to out a 1/2 moon opening, and I used a router to clean up the cut. This really works great giving the extra space and also being able to run the water and rinse items. See the photo....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0760.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	381653  
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaier7771 View Post
The sink insert on our FC25FB was nice because it does give more counter space, however, makes the sink unusable and unable to get water etc. The sink insert in the FC appears to be made of thick PVC?? I used a jig saw to out a 1/2 moon opening, and I used a router to clean up the cut. This really works great giving the extra space and also being able to run the water and rinse items. See the photo....

Great idea! (Although I love the wooden insert idea as well.) I also have a similar insert for my 2016 27FB plus a husband with a shop full of woodworking tools. I think I'll have him cut the half moon where the finger hole is, since I'll have the big cut-out for grabbing hold of the insert.....
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
extranrg - when you say "Corian insert", do you mean the plastic cutting board that fits over the sink (that came with the Airstream)? If yes, I use it as a chopping board. If no, then ignore this post. Beautiful job on the wood board.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Quote:

I glued up a panel (4/4 walnut) and used the stock insert as a template. I cut the blank to shape, rabbited the edge so it sits flush with the counter, and routed in a liquid trap around the edge. This is only one half. Now, a good sanding, some butcher block oil for finish and it will be ready to go.

I'll add a final photo of the finished project once I get everything wrapped up.

_Nathan
Looks great! It looks like it would be a lot lighter than the Corian inserts. That's why we don't use ours, too heavy to be practical.

Wish I could make one half as pretty as that!
pwlldvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Silver Springs , Florida
Quote:

_Nathan
Wow. Get a cutting board. Wash your dishes and Enjoy! too much work for what?
gordyfj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Plastic verses Wood cutting boards

Generally polyethylene plastic boards that Airstream installs is not acceptable in the Food Industry because they do not kill off bacteria like wooden ones do. We use our plastic cover for acquiring more counter space but not to cut on it. Wood is all good ,,, its one of the projects that I have been wanting to get too.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva52 View Post

About as much work as you put into your pithy comment. It would have been so much easier for you click on by. Instead, a nasty comment and some judgement along with it. Thank you for your input. I’ll keep sharing my projects, and hope that you ignore the next one.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
"I was sad that I had Corian sink covers - until I met the man with no sink covers at all!"
Our 2018 GT did not have sink covers when we bought it. Does anybody have a set in the Corian Verano White (not sure if Airstream uses any other colors) rectangular covers that they would be willing to sell?
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb75 View Post
"I was sad that I had Corian sink covers - until I met the man with no sink covers at all!"
Our 2018 GT did not have sink covers when we bought it. Does anybody have a set in the Corian Verano White (not sure if Airstream uses any other colors) rectangular covers that they would be willing to sell?
I also have a 2018 GT and didn’t have any of those mirrors in the back of the overhead cabinets. We didn’t know they came with them until we went into another GT and saw them. Got them added while still under warranty. If you are still within your 2 years, try that.
Another wild guess is, look above your range hood in the overhead cabinet. There is a little rubber bumper up there that is in the right location to hold the sink inserts where the notch in the insert is. Maybe yours are stored up there.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:11 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Thanks, GOUSC. Alas, we've already scoured through the whole trailer, but to no avail. The dealer we bought it from even called the previous owners, but said they had no clue where the covers were. I've gone to the local AS dealer, and he let me trace around one so I have a template. I'll probably go for cobbling up a wood replacement since AS seems to think these things are worth a lot of money!
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
And, complete! A good sanding and few coats of Butcher Block Oil and we are ready to chop up a storm next season.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0209.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	382278  
Old 10-31-2020, 03:45 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Replacement sink insert

As an (in my opinion) accomplished woodworker, I sat that's a beautiful piece of work. Did you add an oil finish of some sort? I understand walnut oil is exceptional for cutting boards, in that it is non-alergenic and easily renewable. How did you form the underside?
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage to Caravan View Post
As an (in my opinion) accomplished woodworker, I sat that's a beautiful piece of work. Did you add an oil finish of some sort? I understand walnut oil is exceptional for cutting boards, in that it is non-alergenic and easily renewable. How did you form the underside?

I used Butcher Block Oil from General Finishes. I have used it for several boards at the house and have been very happy with how it holds up. The underside is flat, with the exception of the rabbet at the edges that allows it to sit into the depth of the sink so it is flush with the counter. The remaining material that isn’t removed with the rabbet is the thickness of the original covers. I added some rubber feet so it doesn’t slip when I place it on the counter.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:54 PM   #18
RCC
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Rogersville , Missouri
Wow. Very nice.
RCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva52 View Post
Some people like the OP have an aesthetic sensibility and a skill set to turn their vision into a part of their daily lives. Some, like me, can recognize that sensibility, appreciate it (and even offer to pay the artist for a copy).
If you don't get it, that is OK too.
You do have the option to refrain from expressing contempt.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Nicely done. This and making the drop-front on the sink counter usable as I believe GOUSC has done is on my list of projects as well. I was thinking I’d recess some strong rare-earth magnets on the side or underside of the cutting board so that the cover wouldn’t be one more thing to store while traveling.

Great job, looks excellent.